Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Hey Bill, here are a couple of pictures that might help with what I was trying to explain on the phone of how I cranked up my steel roof panels.
1st pic is the pulley with saddle that fit over the roof peak.

2nd pic is the rope crank that hooked to the bottom of the roof just next to where the roof panel will go.

3rd pic shows 2 sheets on and crank positioned for 3rd sheet

I only had a 5/12 roof pitch but the sheets were 22 ft. 3 in. long and the winch setup allowed me to do the whole roof alone on this 40’ by 110’ building
Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Used the same principal to hang sheets of OSB on the ceiling in my shop drilled a 3/8 hole in the center of the sheet dropped a eyebolt through the hole with a 5 inch washer any winched it up. A 2 by 4 to get it placed final couple clickes on the winch to hold and nail it off. Short pieces of dowel to close the drill hole

3 Likes

How many screws are in a certain area?

2 Likes

One for each rib and 24 on center all the way up the roof. A lot!

3 Likes

Thanks Don. I made a contraption this morning to pull the sheets up. After I finished it, the neighbor and wife showed up to help me. This is four hours from a couple of rookies.
We precut and predrilled before bringing the sheet up.

5 Likes

I screw’ed mine on top the rib, or some like too screw or nail with rubbrer washers on the flat areas, not sure the pros or cons on rib top or flat area nailing.I put my metal on pole barn roof stringers, no plywood,only problem with that is in winter time it freezes and thaws and gets my drywall wet.next project will be plywood the roof and tar paper,then put metal on.

2 Likes

I screwed mine on top of the ribs figuring all the water will be rushing down the flats against the screws and washers if they were on the flat. I stacked them all on the ground and after some very careful measurements drilled all the holes except the outside rib which would be overlapped by the next sheet and used those holes as a guide to drill through the bottom covered rib, worked great. Take care not to squash the gaskets when screwing them down, just watch them take a bit of compression. The screws are 2’ oc up the panels. Nary a drop in 8+ years.

3 Likes

Looks good Pepe. I won’t post a picture that close of my work. Haha

I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not. I used SS scrub pads for air flow because I felt the foam would be too restricted. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Hi Bill,
Danny Cox used SS scrub pads in his gas filter unit and found that all SS is not the same. I believe his original choice showed signs of rust. Leave some out in the weather for a bit and see if they hold up. I think Dan upgraded his SS after a while. I’m not familiar with the foam. I installed my ridge cap with panel gaskets to fit the roofing and opted for gable end vents. My roof ridge is an east west run and kind of lines up with our normal wind flow direction. Your upper level living quarters kind of leaves gable end vents out, I think. Other than that, I think they would be good for air flow.
Pepe

1 Like

Hmmmmm typically if you mix two metals and moisture galvanic action can occur. Keep an eye on it.

2 Likes

I used foam on the peak of my garoge roof.it might be a little too restictive in the rainy season,nylon mesh or screen would have been better for rainy season.Too let the attic all breath better.IT seemed a little dense up there this year.i put the seat or couch foam in from the inside of the attic.

I have decided to put 12" concrete posts down 5’, 3 on each side and run a 5"x10" beam to each set of posts. I will raise the cabin up and set the beams on the posts. This will keep the frost from heaving the cabin this winter.
The well guys showed up this AM and we’re pretty excited to have water!

4 Likes

This is how I was managing my water after getting it from the neighbors.

2 Likes

Drill, baby, drill! All the comforts of home. The concrete piers are an excellent idea.

2 Likes

Hey Bill, ever see this?

2 Likes

nothing like a glass of water

1 Like

Yes, I have seen this. I think it’s a great idea

160’ and no water. The well guys will be back out in the morning.

Are they bringing the witch?? :relaxed:

2 Likes