Ha! Ha! I was only using the shaving as an example. Wifie would kill me if I went all-beard, expressionless hidden. And I'd hate the work sweaty overheating. I short head hair as it is to stay cool and keep my hats on.
I never started this topic to promote no-tech, low-tech living.
My WHOLE woodgasing work has been about keeping the home/farm electric lights lighting, electric refrigerators refrigerating, electric freezers freezing, home/farm electric water pumps pumping, etc.
The hardware for all of these does need a basic manufacturing society/culture.
But why remain Top-Down beholding for the minimal consumable energy to operate these things, eh?
We as a family grow our own trees for our north climate 9 months annual needed heating already. Why not use the same for domestic home/farm electricity too? (our solar sucks hind tit here - the confer trees here do still grow and conveniently solid form store this cloud solar and drizzle rains)
I actually do live by Maslov's hierarchy of needs recognition and appreciation. And I do severely judge others by their connection and willingness to fill in at least some the lower base needs levels Before moving up to the fun express-yourself levels.
My wife and I grew up in rural living families at a time when all pretty much did produce and supply 85% of their foods. With surpluses in milk, cream and eggs to sell for the other 15%.
As a married coulple we have done as high as 50-60% of our own food needs. Social/Ceasar taxes such that no way to do higher than that without outside working incomes. Outside gone working, then time spins by.
We've joints aged now to where we probably only do at best 15% of our foods. Still better than the ZERO dome by the family youngers now.
Too easily seems cheaply distracted by the current Top-Down cultural supplied entertainments and directed new-better "needs". Too much unable to find the "off" switch on all techs and trends. The use just what you do need, as you do need - then off/idle it. Set it aside and get out growing real. As Humans. Versus Consumer Units.
So in the meantime I collect old books, handheld gardening and light farming tools. Still waiting for the day when all of the hot-air/bubbles-foam goes out of the TopDown systems. The go-go faster and faster cultural party beer kegs run dry. And the family younger's will then remember all of out wonderful full flavored gifted out free range chicken eggs from Uncle Steve and Aunt Melinda. Come asking for some seeds to grow.
I really see all of us here worldwide spread out as just D-I-Y capabilities heritage skill-set seed-banks awaiting opportunity's.
My, "Are You One-In-A-Million?" topic here on the DOW was an expression of this.
Thanks for the razor blade honing tip K.L.
J-I-C Steve Unruh