Done with fema on to the Ben Peterson design

Sooo some updates I’m getting close to the finished product but the closer I get the more I worry about leaks I think my welds are good but can’t help it lol

9 Likes

Looking good to me! Are you testing with soapy water and a blow gun?

Spray some water mixed with a little dish soap and blow air from the other side of the weld. Watch for bubbles growing or coming out.

Or pressurize the whole thing with a shop vac on blow setting and spray on the welds like that.

4 Likes

Well not to much so many parts in the project and hard to test as you go I do have a good welder but nothing is perfect as we all know. I will pressurize when done but if some internals are leaking I will have no idea

5 Likes

If you have any bad internal leaks where air could meet gas, you’ll see hot spots. Paint the gasifier in regular spray paint, nothing high temp. The paint will peel away with the heat.

Some spots may self seal with tar running around if it’s above the hot zone. Stuff in the bottom should seal with ash. I would preload with ash to protect the bottom. And charcoal for a fast test burn, with a little bit of wood over the charcoal.

When you do your test run check with a thermometer gun for any odd hot spots.

8 Likes

That’s very helpful thanks I was wondering how you know

6 Likes

So my reduction tube is rubbing on my grate unfortunately so my question is what should the gap be between the reduction tube and the grate. Then it would me easy to cut a half inch off the tube but a pain to lower the grate because its all sealed in

2 Likes

I’d say one inch is plenty. Is there no way to lower the grate by the central shaft? Like sliding it down a little?

2 Likes

yes i can its just a pain to get to it and its a 3/4 pace so if i take it out should give me a little more then 1/2 in of clearance

3 Likes

I would try that first Josh. You not need more than a 1/2" or so for spacing.
Bob

3 Likes

Ok finished up finally almost took a year but here is the first flair on charcoal.

7 Likes

Uploading: IMG_2041.JPG…

6 Likes

11 Likes

Bravo! That flare looks really clean. Thanks for the video.

5 Likes

Thanks it went better then expected

9 Likes