I should have taken a lemon along on my 9 minute and 50 second ride on charcoal this afternoon to keep my smiling face from cracking, but when I got back I needed a candy bar to balance my disappointment when what was supposed to be a 9 minute and 50 second video on the video counter turned out to be corrupted. Bummer!
I learned a few things though. First my oxygen sensor does not heat up fast enough to tell me I'm rich. I had to rely on the familiar sound of the exhaust to know when to shut down the fuel pump, which was almost right away. After a couple minutes it finally registered.
Second I had to open the air butterfly further than I did with the wood burner which confirms my suspicion of an air leak somewhere in the bowels of the wood unit.
Third, I would not have needed the heat exchangers to cool the gas after the cyclones as they were cold to the touch after ten minutes on the road.
Fourth, Whatever power loss charcoal might have less than wood - if any - is made up for by reduced weight because I really could not tell the difference. 5th gear overdrive could be used as before and 55 mph at 3100 rpm was easily attained.
I will have to get used to the temp readings in relation to the probe placement and that might take a few runs to know what is normal.
So far I am very happy with the outcome. Now I just have to wait and see what breaks first.