DOW Driving Habits

Thanks Kevin .

I have started this truck on wood over two thousand times and I still forget to flip a switch or open value , especily while videoing

6 Likes

I was just glad there was no stored gas in the bottom of the fire tube to clean all the remaining char bed out of the gasifier. That extension pole on your torch is handy. I like it, it keeps the head and body away from the opening when lighting.
Bob

3 Likes

Yes
I would be very fearful to put a torch in before running the pull blowers for a minute

2 Likes

Think i night or might try that too just for the vidio records, and so i can look more like a reble when i move south some day or two.

1 Like

Daily use of the ole wood burner .

I sure wish I could think of things to say while videoing . Maybe if some of yall would come down and ride with me and ask questions.

HWWT

10 Likes

Good idea of touching the brakes to make it downshift!

3 Likes

No need for much talking, the sweet music of that engine rumbling happily along is all we need.
Although a series of ā€œtruck cab conversationsā€ would be interesting too.

5 Likes

Like Andy says, the sound of the engine is joyful. But I do like seeing your country side. Surprised at some of the rolling hills, and looking at your forest along side the road-- they donā€™t have a lot of underbrush. I know on your place it is because of cattle grazing. You have live down there for 5 generations-- tell us some about the history. I have a video of my truck and I like to tell the story as I know it in this area. ( wish I could figure out how to post it. I think Mac made some program changes and my Mac and camera are out dated) Thanks again. Oh, is that store the Alabama version of Walmart. TomC

4 Likes

I am with the others, riding in the truck with you two is a joy.
But if you need something to talk about, how about the next time you are using cap camera and need to make a wood refueling stop. You could talk through the whole possess from finding a good place to stop and so on, then back out on the road. Maybe stopping to fill the hopper when you are hauling with the truck. What about going down a unfamiliar road and you need to make a refueling stop, a video talk through what you do in in that situation.
Everything has become so automatic with you, looking at gauges, knowing the sounds of the engine, and feel of the truck going down the road. Also just knowing where all the levers should be set at.
You thinking out loud what you are doing when driving, is all good stuff to hear anytime. It is never boring even if you have said before on a different video. We learn by hearing it over and over again.
Your videos are all good, I have learned something new each time I watch one and then watch it again.
Thank you, for your time and effort you contribute to DOW for all of us to learn and enjoy the gasification process.
Bob

6 Likes

What Bob said.
All of it.

3 Likes

Is that an invitation? I would love to visit sometime!

Yes sir !!

Be real glade to have ya.

6 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom

I am the 6th generation in my area. My folks have all been small farmers except for my Dad and he ran a feed and fertilize store in our community .

Walmart is much closer but the deals at this little store beats Walmart real good .

Thanks
Wayne

5 Likes

Dumping ash and char.

11 Likes

The guys living on the dark side would die for what you are throwing away. Looks to be perfect size for a charcoal gasifier. This charcoal thing has just come to life here in the last couple of years and Iā€™m not sure I know all I think I know. Donā€™t you have to ā€œchargeā€(?) the charcoal before it is beneficial to the soil? TomC

4 Likes

Good question Tom. I have read all kinds of claims, but I question the absolute necessity of charging. I think using sterile char may increase the time a year or so before it reaches full effect.

Feeding char to livestock, or mixing it in manure piles or compost piles makes good sense, even just from a handling point of view.

6 Likes

I donĀ“t remember if I alredy mentioned, but I quit dumping char early summer. Several thousand miles ago.
Good or bad but the gap between the 12" gasifier housing and the 8" firetube seems to create flow enough to expel a mix of dust and pea sized char out the cyclone. About a 1/4 gallon every 50-100 miles.

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom.

I am not really throwing it away . I think it can be put to good use in the garden and yes I think without being charged it will take a while to show any benefit . Also if I need it I can mix some of the char with greener or bigger wood and run it back through the gasifier.

6 Likes

I turned the camera on during some of my daily routine yesterday . The camera shut down several minutes before I intended but that might be a good thing so as not to bore folks to death .

Also I videoed about 10 minutes today but accidentally erased it , that also might be a good thing. :grinning:

4 Likes

Wayne, every day on DOW, I hope to catch a ride with you where ever you are heading in any one of your trucks. Itā€™s all good. Thanks
Bob