Fast pyrolysis of biomass for building smaller gasifiers?

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
February 12, 2020
Ms. Pingree introduced the following bill;
116th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. R. 5861
Agriculture Resilience Act,
To address the impact of climate change on agriculture, and for other purposes.
(1) in subsection (a)—

(A) in the matter preceding paragraph (1), by striking “and renewable energy development” and inserting “, renewable energy development, and the reduction of carbon dioxide and carbon dioxide equivalent emissions”; and

(B) in paragraph (2), by striking “and renewable energy systems” and inserting “, renewable energy systems, and carbon dioxide and carbon dioxide equivalent gas emissions reductions”;
The bill did not become law .

1 Like

Henry, you have quoted from various sources at length on this forum, often without contextual remarks. I don’t want to make a new rule about this, a lot of what you post is interesting… it’s just that the quotes are way too long, and your own words get lost in a sea of text. So I’ll just ask you nicely. I would appreciate two things from you:

a) start linking to your sources instead of quoting them directly. If something needs quoted make a brief reference (one or two sentences) and then a link for further reading.

b) Rephrase the information using YOUR words, so that people understand what you are trying to say and what you think. Don’t just drop links without context, connect it to the conversation.

Thanks for all of your contributions, we all appreciate your input. I’m just trying to make it easier to understand for all of us.

8 Likes

Burned-out tree roots are causing unexpected holes like this .
Just wanted to show picture of smoking hole in ground .
I think the State Forest will recover well as it was managed well .

Biochar Now, LLC is located in Loveland, CO, United States and is part of the Wholesale Sector Industry. Biochar Now, LLC has 18 total employees across all of its locations and generates $2.08 million in sales (USD).

Why did I mention this . The Forest service wanted to but could not with out losing their jobs .
The Forest service should get ownership of this company .
I did not want to say all that but you wanted me to explain it .

The last big one at the Harvard Forest site was in 1938. The storm was nicknamed the “Long Island Express” for the speed at which it tore through New York and into Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. Unlike in the tropics, where many trees are battered but remain standing, trees in temperate climes tend to tip over or snap. The 1938 storm felled 70 percent of the timber in central New England, says Barker Plotkin, wiping out much of the eastern white pine (Pinus strobus) prominent in the region.
Workers in public programs, part of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal during the Great Depression, removed much of the fallen wood. The government’s newly created New England Timber Salvage Administration purchased logs, paying out a total of $8.3 million to landowners; much of that lumber would later go to the World War II effort, as well as to paper factories. Private companies also cut and paid for the fallen timber. After the clearing, a mix of hardwoods, such as red oak (Quercus rubra) and red maple (Acer rubrum), naturally replaced the pine forests.

3 Likes

Henry, I hate to nitpick, but you’re missing my point. Your post is disjointed and difficult to follow, mainly because you are just copying text from various places and dumping it all in the same block of text. For example:

These are not your words. They are from Biochar Now’s website, which you did not link or attribute.

These are also not your words. They are lifted from this article written by Amber Dance in 2019, which you did NOT link or attribute. I found it by Google searching some of the text.

Mixing together unattributed text copied from random articles with some of your own words is not only confusing, it is plagiarism; not something I appreciate on this site. If you didn’t write the words, you have to credit the ones who did or people will assume YOU wrote them, and that is wrong.

It’s fine to quote stuff, just make it look like a quote. You can use the quote button in the editor, which adds a “>” mark in front of the text, and appears like this:

This is a quote

Double quotes work fine too. “This is another quote” etc. But please, for all our sakes, make some distinction between your copied words and your original words. Thank you!!

3 Likes

FROM THE BOOK
Past and Present Energy Societies: How Energy Connects Politics, Technologies and Cultures
Nina Möllers
Karin Zachmann
" whereas the wood gas case during the War years mainly was a matter of using wood gas as automotive fuel or not using an automobile at all "

From the 1930’s to 1950 Japan supported wood gas for transportation . Their Buses were first wood gas vehicles I saw . Not counting trains or boats . A few wood gas buses are kept running for tourist .
Firewood Bus Moku-Chan Osaka Energy Museum
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tomy-Firewood-Bus-Moku-Chan-Osaka-Energy-Museum-Tomica-Diamond-Pet-/174442763154?nma=true&si=PEbmzwE7xuPs%2FzDv6UjuC8q7qvg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
The first thing was the Hurricane before the beetle kill before the wild fires . Just all the trees lying on the ground awaiting an insurance adjuster . I just felt it was wrong .
I am not sure it was these trees or this hurricane .

" The Texas Forest Service said more than 400 thousand acres of pine and hardwood trees were either damaged or destroyed from Hurricane Rita. The value of the timber losses amounted to $833 million. The timber losses amounted to 533 million cubic feet or 81 percent of the state’s annual harvest of timber. "

" A new $115 million LaSalle Lumber Company LLC sawmill in the Central Louisiana community of Urania has been dedicated by Ruston-based Hunt Forest Products and British Columbia-based Tolko Industries. "
" LaSalle Lumber Company produced its first commercial shipment of lumber in March 2019 and began ramping up to full operation of two 10-hour shifts, four days a week. The sawmill will source approximately 850,000 tons of wood per year to produce about 200 million board feet of lumber annually. "
https://www.thejenatimes.net/articles/2017/04/10/urania-pellet-plant-has-new-owner
" acquisition out of bankruptcy of Louisiana Pellets (German Pellets of Louisiana) "

"Drax acquired the LaSalle BioEnergy plant in Urania in northern Louisiana in 2017. LaSalle BioEnergy is one of three U.S. pellet plants owned by Drax. The three plants produce a total of 1.5 million metric tons of sustainable biomass pellets a year. "

" Total wood pellet exports for the first nine months of 2020 reached 5.41 million metric tons at a value of $734.06 million, compared to 5.05 million metric tons at a value of $686.73 million exported during the same period of last year. "

I saw on the site someone had opened the back and roof of a bus that is fueled by wood and used it to haul timber . I do not recall if he did it for himself , for barter or for coin , maybe all three .
I can only get credit from netmetering a kW hour I produce is kW hour I do not have to pay for . The house is a lot warmer when I burn wood .

1 Like