Feasibility of Rectangular Charcoal Gasifiers

With the exhaust gas pipe cerounding the intake tube be a 'Kali I gasifier?TomC

Hi, Tom!
The surrounding outlet starts with a conical bell on the char (locally), instead of a “scraping” mesh (grating) between the two tubes in the char!
I take it, that you mean Torsten Källe’s charcoal generator from 1942.
In both cases the silo char mass will cover the outlets.

In this case, a real air blasting from under the bell cavity, deep into the char without the nozzle toutching the char.

Max

Hi Max,

I have never seen this design before. Is this a concept or a proven design with many tested hours behind it? I noticed that a smaller nozzle with a high blast velocity makes better and quicker gas than a slow velocity nozzle. Thanks for the drawing.

Hi, Don!
You can call it a concept; sure not copied from any comercial application!
I have been burning off big treeroots in the ground with charcoal and compressed air blasting.
Following the dribbling offs of suggestions at the charcoalgasifiers’ site…
The fight with 17% CO2 in the Källe gasifier!

All this just because people cannot keep the nozzle out of contact with high-glowing char!
Delivering the needed primery air into a charcoal gasification process “from a safe distance” for the nozzle, cannot happen with floppy-easy streaming air.
The air has to be blasted into the charcoal to have a long enough reach, so the process can be successful on a safe distance from the nozzletip.
The easiest way is to do it vertically; this way it can be done in the midst of passive silo charcoal, the nozzle protected in the cavity of a “bell” (cone) where the nozzle can be trimmed just above the charcoal inferno…
The same bell gives a passage for processed, reduced gas to be extracted out from the silo warm, which can be usefull in the winter…

Max