First time Gasifire first project

how do i upload a video of it

2 Likes

Upload to YouTube and just drop a link in a message.

2 Likes

Yes Josh. Put the link on its own line by itself: Copy and paste. like this

Because of the new Google Greed YouTube advertising policy, I had to delete all of the extra information on the address before the https and the ) on the endā€¦ to get it to display and play properly.

5 Likes

Set up a you tube account josh. At the top right there will be a thing that says create. you will have to pull up the video you made and you-tube will tell you what to do. Answer some questions and at least for me, wait about ten minutes for every minute of upload. I am one of the least techno people still breathing. If I can do it anyone can.

3 Likes

ok working on it now

2 Likes
9 Likes

And the blow up lol

9 Likes

Josh, No harm done, I hope!!
Nice spark show! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Interest video, what happened, and did it go well with the wife?

4 Likes

No one was hut Iā€™m thinking my flair motor was way to much and overheated the system and made it backfire not sure

3 Likes

Looked like a hopper fart to me! Is your lid spring loaded?

1 Like

Yes very glad no one got burned .

A hopper puff usually happens when air and gas gets mixed in the hopper and usually will spit out some smoke and condensation .

The pop in the video seem to be down steam of the char bed .

I think Josh is right . Oxygen getting past the grate from over draft.

4 Likes

Hi Josh , can you please tell me what fuel you were running when you had your blowback , was it 100% charcoal or a mix of wood and charcoal ? or what .
I only run charcoal units and to be honest i have never had a blow back more than a few sparks coming out of the air intake nozzle over the years of running in all kinds of conditions , and looking at how gently your flare is coming out i donā€™t think your fan was over pulling i think its more likely a air leak in the tank maybe around your door area .
When it did back fire what were you doing down by the flare tube were you starting to light it or putting out the flare ?
Dave

2 Likes

Just as a side note I have actually had one backfire on charcoal in my Mazda. I gave it the full beans a little too fast and I heard a THUNK sound. I use a locking lid so I hope it just vented out of the nozzle intake.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the beauty of video Josh. You could have had to use a lot of words to try and explain what you experienced in less than a half minute of filming. The fact that your wife didnā€™t start yelling at you was also impressive. That would be at least a half hour ass chewing for me.

5 Likes

so to clarify this is a fema gasifier so no hopper lid and for my first run it was wood pellets and Iā€™m getting ready to run my test motor. But Iā€™m excited!!!

3 Likes

oh I heard about it haha. But ready for the next run

3 Likes

Ok thatā€™s good to know it was just wood pellets blowing back , as my very first engine run on wood was also a FEMA and like yours also blew back when i went to light my flare off . decided the next day after cleaning off the valves that it wasnā€™t going to suit what i needed and decided to run 100% on charcoal and copy Gary Gilmores simple fire and now nearly 10 years down the line and a few thousand run hours i am happy i did as its almost a no touchy touchy system once lit up .
Dave

3 Likes

Just an experimental idea for this specific FEMA, maybe you could make a spring loaded lid that has the nozzle built in? Set the nozzle to the ideal active zone height with letā€™s say a 1/2" NPT pipe. If you need it sized down you can add a pipe cap with a hole drilled in it.

The spring loaded lid will help keep fuel from just puffing out and you could get more concentrated air from the nozzle. It would be a very plug and play kind of experimentation without needing permanent modification.

1 Like

Just ran test motor.