Fluidyne Pioneer

Personally, I won’t take heat from the reduction zone as I believe it needs the heat for the conversion process. Even still our system uses a double pass to pull as much heat into the incoming air. Not complex to build but nozzles are not removable from outside the machine. I think a victoria is as simple a build as any for experimenting and it’s very refined in its simplicity… just my thoughts on the subject…

1 Like

Indeed the bottom set is for piping up to the top openings where you will install the jets.

@Arvid, this wasnt quite all the way below the reduction bell on early gens. The primary stage started at the bottom of our reduction bell and then transitioned into the hearth. Yes totally agree with you on that, that is why we have the new revision for regenerating the insulation in the reduction.

3 Likes

When I tore this one down and found the leak, I was ready to move on to the imbert. I have tweeked the imbert to the unit I have presently, my beta baby. I have never tried converter clay. I’ll check it out.
Pepe

1 Like

Are you looking for the word “tuyere(s)” Tuyere - Wikipedia ?

We just call em jets, no need to be fancy its just a gasifier hahaha. :fire:

3 Likes

tuyere Ya I know the word its in common usage in my work, but I never have been asked to spell it lol ( I also speak a little french and that also does not help me spell it )

Use of JIC fittings is an excellent idea.
I was thinking the same thing but using common steel pipe ( just because its easier to bend )

Clever ideas I see here

2 Likes

This is what we use, these are kinda of expensive but if you value your time than this is cheaper in the end. You might be able to find them else where for less cost.

We tap the opposite end of the JIC fitting with a 3/8" NPT tap to make it accept a 3/8 pipe cut to length. The open of the 3/8 pipe is then tapped for 1/4" NPT and we install a socket plug in it and then drill to whatever jet opening we want.

2 Likes

That gas pipe is something I have been looking at.
Not sure if I can buy that here ( likely need a TSSA number for purchase )

Some years back I made a crude flare tool that let me make a thin gauge tube flair that sealed.
Might be more work but its obtainable.

1 Like

Can’t buy from McMaster up here as the won’t ship to individuals in canada…

I have found those kinds of tubes at plumbing supply places In the past.

I moved away from that kinda stuff because of its price.

2 Likes

Back onto your intro topic Wallace: using torrified wood fuel in a Williams Pioneer.

I think you’d be the first.
Can you make torrified wood where you live without the visble smoke ninnies getting you?
I could not. Southwest Washington Air Pollution Authority here has a hotline. Neighbors would get me.
I can woodgas make, and woodstove burn quite handily easy, pleasie. And they do not know.
Charcoal making here would be a complex bugger-do to never, ever, make visible smoke.

Remember all that is really important to an engine guy is to make that shaft go around and around making power for a purpose.
The purpose in the draining of the swamp was to put into productive use that land space for you and yours.
Alligator distractions are just not viewing/using woodgas produced straight as it’s own unique motor fuel.
Matters not the variable gasses mix as long as they will meet the power making needs.

Once you back up and do realize the engine/power-purpose will have wastes heats that can be put back into the woodgas making process then it all just gets so much easier.
The engine demands/needs then proportionally will make the gasifier production demands; supply the draw and heat boosting input proportional to the power needs.

Regards
Steve Unruh

I have given this a lot of thought over the years.

Engine exhaust is more than hot enough to torrify wood , and once the wood is torrified its direct feed to the gasifier hopper when cooked.

The off gasses need to be burned off.

I worked in a steel mill and many of the processes in the coke batteries and blast furnace gasses were both a waste product and recycled as fuel.
Must of the same could be a said about this process, its just a question of figuring out how best to use the waste heat and cleanest way to burn off the unwanted pyrolisys products.

There are no smoke police where I live.
The worlds biggest smoke stack is in my back yard ( wish that was funny and I could spin that in way that made me smile )

Now further on the subect I made a boiler years back for the cottage and used an old gas fired water tank.
This wold make a good retort I think.
Then I saw the TLUD Keystone stove and thought this could be a very smart way to generate process heat to drive a the charing process, and burn off the gasses.

This is an old video on coke production watch and you get a feel for how I look at charing for what its worth.

Sid note:
Broken Hill mine mentioned in this video today is BHP&B ( depressing toxic legacy )

2 Likes

Thoughts on charing:

I am aiming for torrified wood.
Charing to charcoal is or most refined fuel.
But we can push the process further like the coke ovens do and make a low grade graphite product that’s even cleaner and harder.

You have to admire a process taken to this extreme.
Its ultimately green coke they are making.

2 Likes

My belief is to use the tars (pyrolisys gases) to fuel the reaction within the gasifier itself.

5 Likes