Fuel Wood Use Maths

Good use of your tracker Mr Steve!

Very interesting! Be carefull.

Picked up a new load today. It can further dry for a few weeks, inside the shop. Four down twenty to go. Lets see if I can fix such a sophisticated administration as Johan.

11 Likes

Hahaha, never heard pencil and paper been called that :smiley:

9 Likes

I am too lazy to do the math on the house wood heating but I do know with a little sweat I can heat the house all winter :smiley:

13 Likes

I thought winter in your area just meant turning off the air conditioning.

14 Likes

If Lisa is reading this she is probably rolling her eyes (regarding the AC :smile: )

11 Likes

You are right Kistijan .

She has no idea what AC means

6 Likes

Sure she does, it means AC lighting, just flip the switch on the wall and the lights come on.

4 Likes

I always wonder why you never see them coupled with some sort of passive solar collection since that is really the effect you are explaining.

And of course if you also use that for AC , then you want to actually block the sun from hitting it during the summer.

7 Likes

Hey SeanO’
That corner of house added cedar fencing panel I put up to visually obscure and noise dampen when I use the H.F. 9500 inverter generator.

Last summer it did afternoon sun block the houses east side ductless outside unit when in AC mode.
You got me thinking, man.
Maybe put one up to summer sun blocking the west side unit?

Not hard at all to seasonally set up and remove solo.

No problem now with air-source-heating. Raining in the 40’s and 50’s F.
S.U.

8 Likes

Great idea Steve. Have you thought about a ground source heat pump though? It seems like your climate is fairly mild and in that case the ground could maintain a fairly constant temperature around 50 deg.F year round. That’s great for both cooling and heating.

I read about a farmer in North Dakota who buried tubing and forced air through it to warm a greenhouse during the winter. It didn’t make it hot, but kept it from freezing during frigid nights and that’s all the plants really needed. The sunny days made it warm. There is a lot of heat down there.

Ground source heat pumps are fairly common, but I guess they would require a significant expense to retrofit though. Your method of a movable shield would be much cheaper.

7 Likes

I’m still looking for that mythical 50f 8 feet in the ground. Must be like the Yeti. Many claim to have found it but no one has brought one to dinner. I have a root cellar 10 feet in the ground at the floor and 2 foot under dirt and a yearly dumping of leaves and it never get higher than the high 30’s F. Of course that’s just right for a root cellar. I guess I should drill a hole in the floor and put a meat thermometer in it to see if it really is 50 beneath it.

10 Likes

Hey MartinS. I quizzed a lot the North Clark County Historical Museum who got a Federal grant and did do this for their old former church building. Cursed expensive. They had to ditch 12 feet down.

Here at our new location we and neighbors sit on top of a not-so-anciet Mt Saint Helens 50 miles distant pushed up ridge of clay-ash and small stones.
A 4.x ground shaker back in the early 90’s shifted this severing two out of the four end of road deep water wells. This houses survived and then with hundreds of feet of ground laid CPV sticks of tubing suppling those two with-out neighbors. Until the wells drillers could catch up.

Nope. Nope. Here, earthquakes happen; if not the 3" of rain in the last 48 hours with another 4-6" in the next 48 hours keeps me always thinking above the ground.
Ha! Our trees still do grow annually. Storing energy.
And my in-house wood stoves are set up as never needing electricity to heat.
I do love electricity for lighting; refrigeration; infotainments. Shop power tools.
Regards
Steve Unruh

12 Likes

I have been asked at times why I do not make videos . . .
Why should I when others do/say for me . . .

Ta! Da! Dry it under 20% moisture and you are golden.
S.U.

9 Likes