Gary Gilmore, My start to building a charcoal gasifier

I am starting to pick up some of the parts. Looking at others videos I like how how they have the pipe unscrew on the inside with the nossle tip.

That eBay link is to an aluminum fryer. I don’t know why they mentioned “stainless” in the title.

Hi Mart , good to see you have started collecting , that can be half the fun .
If you can find old grease drums they also make great gasifiers and filter tanks and normally have a clip on lid with a locking ring , so if scrap yards are hard to find , take a drive around the local mechanics shops ,as these days they don’t have to send them back .
Down side to these drums are because they are on the thin side and hard to weld without burning through them, but you can make them up with 1inch pipe nipples with nuts and joiners , and seal with that tube of rtv and all you need is a hole cutter and your good to go .
Dave

1 Like

RE: Turkey Fryer. Yes, you are correct an aluminum one would not be the best choice, I had multiple searches going and stainless would be the way to go.

Thanks for the tip about grease drums. I had tried at the local Jiffy lube for such about a year ago, they did not have such. I will keep my eyes pealed.

You’d need to try more local Mom&Pop mechanics.

Places like “Jiffy Lube” have enough turnover/infrastructure to recycle/reuse the drums.

Even local places might only got through a drum once every 3-6 months and they make really nice shop garbage cans so there aren’t usually many free ones.

http://ocala.craigslist.org/for/5327121290.html

New idea… Considering dust collectors.

1 Like

Is noting safe…? :scream:

Cool idea… I like it…

1 Like

I like that the vac can also be used as a blower. It seems that this could be a wood gas kit in a box The more I look at it the more I like it. I guess I could drop down to a big box store and see how close the top motor is to where the charcoal would be.

1 Like

A nozzle comes with it and a filter. But if this is the gasifier container the plastic top cover/ blower might melt… :fearful:

1 Like

Hey Mart, if you really can’t find a 30 gallon on the used market, this is a sure deal. http://www.skolnik.com/spec-sheet/CQ3014Q.PDF

1 Like

Hi Mart, If you are thinking of using the Stanley shop vac for a charcoal gasifier and using the blower in the top, get ready for a literal melt down, I have even gotten away from using plastic hose comming out of the gasifier due to the increasing amount of heat that occurs toward the end of the run and melting the hose,
I like to use salvage drums as they are a little thicker than standard steel drums, They also come with a good rubber seal. One company that carries them is Cary, Here is a link, look down to the bottom of this page to find the salvage drums (they are yellow) I paid about $80 for the 15 gallon size,
http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/steel_drums.html

Gary in PA

4 Likes

Thanks Gary for the sound advice. I finally found the deal I was looking for on a 30 gal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331716444337

about $50.00 delivered. I just ordered it.

Mart

Mart, is that a plastic barrel…? If so you might be able to cancel the order.

1 Like

Yup…
“Black 30 gallon plastic storage/shipping barrel”

that storage tank might be worth to try … :grin:

or better go for the 30 gallon gas tank… same as i used on my little tuktuk…

Uploading…

4 Likes

Thanks for that, I requested to cancel. RE: plastic.

Hi Mart , if they wont cancel your order all is not lost as that would make a good large size filter , also as Gary mentioned don’t bother with a shop vac at all , but if you need something for sucking or blowing you can buy 12volt auto vac’s , or mattress pumps on ebay cheap and that’s what I use to start my gasifier .

1 Like

Thanks, I can get them locally to me for 20$. I can get 55 gal plastic for $10.00 each. They sent my $ back for the plastic barrel whew glad they did. I will continue to scan craigslist for deals. In the mean time I think I will upload pictures of my carb, and start working on the filter.

1 Like