Gary Gilmore, My start to building a charcoal gasifier

Ok, I am looking at what line I should use for the line that runs from the 13 horsepower engine exhaust back to the gasifier inlet. Will 1/2 inch gas line cut it? I was not sure if it would give enough volume of gas.

2 Likes

That should work,Mart. I used salvaged 1/2" copper water pipe on my lawn tractor with copper fittings held together with a small screw at each joint. I open my valve only part way because it cools too much wide open.

3 Likes

Don

Do you use a thermocouple to measure the temperature of your reactor?

Thierry

Yes, on my latest build. Two actually. One that measures the water/steam temp and the other near but not into the combustion reaction zone to get an idea of operating temps.

2 Likes

The plan for this is to use this 1 inch pipe at the base of the charcoal gasifier. I was looking for a metal bulk head fitting but not finding what I wanted I used a nipple inbetween the T and the coupler. I found that the electrical conduit rings worked great for setting a block at the back side of the washers that I drilled out to fit. I am thinking of using high temp caulk on this, but I am also considering duck seal between the washers and to use tape on the threads.

2 Likes

I plan to drill out the two washers and use this for pipe connects in the top of the lid with high temp sealant.

I am having trouble finding 1 inch radiator hose, I am finding slightly larger hose.

2 Likes

I decided to buy another carb for $14.00 and then cut it in two or plug up all the holes and make a custom fitting from the carb. The carb should line up with the other carb exactly and would allow me to make mods without me tinkering with the original.

2 Likes

Mary, just a thought for you.
When I went to Jim L’s place he showed me his air inlet that can be removed for outside of the reactor. It is reduced down on the inside to the diameter you desire. Less mess, easy change out.

3 Likes

Sure thing Sally, please don’t call me Mary :slight_smile: I have been looking at torch nossles.

3 Likes

Hahaha, gotta love autocorrect. Sorry Mart. I should really wear my glasses when posting with my phone.

3 Likes

Ok, how high up from the bottom of the 5 gal pail should I be cutting the hole in the side for the burn tube? Should it be 3 inches from the bottom of the pipe to the bottom of the bucket?

Hi Mart ,
The lower the tube is to the bottom the more charcoal on top you get to use for making gas , mine is about 1 inch from the bottom , I placed a small sheet of thin stainless steel sheet just underneath where the nozzle tip is just in case it got too hot and burned through the bottom , but it never did and as soon as you get ash down there that will insulate the bottom anyway .
Have you decided what you are going to use as your nozzle on the end of that 1 inch pipe nipple yet ?
Dave

1 Like

That makes good sense. I have some ceramic tile, I may lay a piece on the bottom of the can for protection and put the pipe at 1 inch from the bottom. I have considered the nozzle fully yet. I did look at 1 inch stainless that I could screw into the pipe but that looks pricey

2 Likes

hi Mart , If I were you I would just look at buying some tig nozzles , something like these ones that I use are cheap and if you break one its no biggie , just find a way place them into or over the pipe nipple and allow for expansion .
Dave
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tig-Torch-Nozzle-Cup-10-WP9-WP20-13N13-5Pack-/191503331948?hash=item2c967cf26c

1 Like

Thanks I just ordered those they are the right price.

Ok, I have seen Christmas pop corn canistors and tin cans used for the filter for the charcoal gasifier. What canister do you recommend that is air tight and easy to service? So far I like the popcorn canister the best.

1 Like

I believe empty (steel) paint cans are another popular choice. I thought that was what @glgilmore used, but maybe it was a popcorn tin.

1 Like

I like PVC thin wall 6" pipe with caps. Just slide the caps on, no screws or anything.

Opps, should have said 4" pipe…

4 Likes

I have used 6"stove pipe with inverted paint can lids. When the thin lids faild I used riding lawn mower wheels with the stove pipe. I taped all the joints other than welded pipe fittings with masking tape.

3 Likes

I use a 20 litre drum with a lid held down with springs , I think the larger the better I do have a small cyclone before it to capture as much as possible before the drum though .
I have also seen plastic drums used , and I guess that would also work as long as you have a good length of pipe or gas cooler inline away from gasifier .

Have used the 6 inch drain pipe with push on end caps and taped them up just in case and filled with foam , it worked ok until one run i decided to just leave gasifier to run out , gas got hot and softened the pvc end cap .
Dave

2 Likes