Gary Gilmore, My start to building a charcoal gasifier

Removed all plastic fittings when to steel. I found the steel had a larger inner diameter.

With engine shut off I used kirby to get gas flowing, It seems the engine only wants to start at the very begging of the even, then for 30 - 40 min I can’t find the right ratio of air / gas to run.

I will need to add more springs to the 5 gal container, I found ash on the top. so air was getting in.

Now that I have the larger connectors of steel engine runs on gas with the gasifier connected no problem.

Progress.

4 Likes

Hi Mart ,
Just looking at the picture you posted and I think I can see a pipe , maybe the exhaust return going into the air inlet of your nozzle ? if so I would take that out of the way until you get the engine fired up and running .
I asked you last week if you are using multiple nozzles or are you using just the one single one you made ?

Mart if you can take the pipe off the engine and close the air mix valve and restrict the nozzle inlet a little , and then with your mattress pump blow into the gas outlet pipe back through the filter and gasifier , while its doing that use a spray bottle with some washing liquid in it and spray all around your joints and lids and look for bubbles that will give an indication as to how well its all sealed up , don’t use the Kirby as it may be too powerful a blow .
Let us know how you get on .

Dave

2 Likes

RE: nozzle.

I am sorry I did not get back to your question. Over a week ago I removed the pipe inside the gasifier with nozzles and put a standard pipe in with no restrictions the gasifier is getting a full 1 inch on the inlet into the chamber with no restrictions.

At the start of the run I did not have the exhaust pipe in it was only after when I switched to gas I was getting strong pull of air and I was using the exhaust to cool the reaction the gas engine was pulling.

When I use the tape on the air mattress motor I am not getting much air thru the system, I am considering making a venturi with the kirby so I can regulate he flow without having to use a rheostat.

So far I have had the most success when I use the kirby and I see smoke coming out of the kirby. I can hear the engine want to start when I get to this point.

The pipe has gotten extremely hot.

I need to do due diligence and verify no leaks, but progress.

Mart

2 Likes

I just had an idea… I may use the kirby but use the valve on he airflow to regulate how much suction is being used.

I may also try to do this Gary’s way and forget the fan and use the suction of the engine with gasoline to give it a kick start.

Cheers

1 Like

Mart - I have used a big shop vac for some experiments. I just partially (mostly) block the air inlet to control the airflow, with a piece of tin or cardboard or something. This regulates the flow nicely. Not sure how good it is for the shop vac, but I have had this thing (Craftsman) for 20+ years, and it just keeps on ticking.

2 Likes

I don’t see your Kirby in the picture. How do you have it hooked into the system. On the intake to the Kirby, you must have made an adaptor. Is it sealed to the Kirby. An air leak there will pull air in with the gas and make a mixture that is too weak to flare. TomC

1 Like

l dont use any fan on mx sistems and it tends to give best resaults.

2 Likes

Hi Krisitijan , with no fan , does that mean you start your car on petrol and then light the charcoal and drive away and then feed in the charcoal gas and back off on petrol once its up to temp ?
Dave

1 Like

Thanks Mart for letting me know on the nozzle number , just makes things a little easier knowing there is only the one nozzle to worry about .
I don’t understand your mattress pump , if its the one that Gary mentioned a while back then it looks pretty much the same as the one I bought , and the holes on the bottom may cool the motor , but on mine the fan unit is in a separate housing to the battery and motor , these little fans have a hole in the middle , that’s where it sucks , and a hole on the outer diameter and that’s where it blows , so would closing off air vents on the bottom affect the fan blower ?
Dave

2 Likes

Exactly. Will make a video when l find the time but the procedure: start the engine on petrol. Open the gas mixing valve 3/4, light the gasifier with a gas burner, drive for ~300m like thet, swich the petrol pump to half power and drive about ~ 1km like that. then l its just turn the pump off and away it goes on charcoal.

l only use the fan on my charcoal powered moped but am planing to put eaven that away.

3 Likes
8 Likes

What a great feeling. Now you have been bit there is no turning back.

2 Likes

It is. The first taste was the first time I heard the engine try to start with the gas. Today I sealed all the connectors with RTV and found the right stoytrymetric mixture and I am eating out tonite :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have found them faster to build than I can make enough charcoal to fill them.Three sitting here now two empty.

4 Likes

Well done Mart , its always a great feeling seeing your hard work paying off .
Start looking for larger containers so you can get longer run time before overheating becomes a problem , and sit back with a smile watching it work away .
Keep us informed on how everything is holding up during your testings .

Dave

4 Likes

Very nice Mart.
Did you get a chance to plug something into it and load it down?

2 Likes

I did, and it did not work. It has been so long I am guessing that the capacitor has lost charge and I will need to turn a drill in reverse or give the cap a jump start to excite the gen. But goal achieved I am curious what I will find in the gasifier when I look. So many new options open to me now.

3 Likes

Hey Mart .

It always put a smile on your face the first time you see an engine run without dino :joy:

Congradulations

5 Likes