Gasification of hammermilled straw

I found out Honda motors turn the other way, no torque in those though :grinning:

Has anyone run a 2 stroke on woodgas yet? :upside_down_face:

I don’t think I’d want to mill straw next to an engine doing 6000 rpm for too long!

So, got the torches filled, after supper it’s round two with that blower bearing…

Just use the car motor and transmission it has reverse.

1 Like

If i did the math right, the 4" pulley (which was fairly common), and if the surface feet per minute was 3100 common for a belt. You are looking at roughly 3100 rpms. Which would also make it guess it is a 40s version and not a 20s version.

Could use a front wheel drive and run off the axle shaft with the dif locked.

1 Like

I will double check the hole size, but you can see it is pretty fine

It is about a 3’ diameter hog direct drive on a 900 rpm 150 hp motor. Car keys for comparrison.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks Carl - if that’s 3/13 diameter, then that 1/8" hole screen I have will be making a powder.

Well the puller idea didn’t work so I was forced to turn the bearing into red goo with the torch. Sometimes I wonder why I bother doing anything else with these antiques I play with :grin:.

So the blower housing came off with minimal trouble, but…

Not good! I’ll be taking it into work tomorrow for some surgery.

Don’t leave crap in the housings of your mill if you’re not planning on using it for the next 30 years :grin:

The wife puts a limit on how far I can go with redneck shenanigans on our property! :innocent:

1 Like

Or hog feed. :slight_smile:

How thick is that? It just looked like the end of a barrel welded on a flat piece to me. Might be faster to just remake it. I might up the gauge on it. sometimes those knives come off.

2 Likes

I measured in a few places and got various results from .045" - .055", it was probably 16ga when new. That’s likely what I’m going to put back in there. It’s paper thin at the bottom where the holes are.

.055 to .050 would be 18 gauge in galvanized. Going a bit heavier could be good, as long as it’s easy enough to work with, keeping in mind the other stuff lasted many decades.

1 Like

Yeah I’m just assuming some metal has exited stage left over the decades :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. 16ga is .063, and is probably the thinnest we’ll have at work, so that’s likely what it’ll end up with.

Some of that old equipment is spec’d for easy field replacement like standard sized barrel end.
But if you got the tools and the metal. Go for it.

Are the bearing on that self-centering?

I assume you mean self aligning? If so yes they are. The shaft retention is via 2 set screws on a extended inner race. The housing location is set by the cut outs in the sheet metal. If I had designed this mill, I would have made both bearings piloted - but maybe they didn’t have those back then.

2 Likes

I’ve determined that the blower/auger bearings are SealMaster LF-16 which I think are out of production. I prefer not to put a Chinese bearing on there, so my bearing guy is trying to cross it to a Dodge.

Last night I went out into the ice storm and sanded painted the top housing and intake chute a nice flat black. Tonight’s plan is to do the top door, and intake flapper, and the main housing weldment. The main housing probably won’t get painted, as I have to leave at 9:00 pm. With any luck, by Friday I’ll have most of the pcs back/in to start reassembly.

Cross It to a Timken or SKF both good bearings any napa store can look it up if you have the old number or the inner and outer race size.

2 Likes

I ended up with a Browning VF3S116M, the bearing cost almost as much as I paid for the whole Mill LOL! Pretty much extinct part#, I knew it was coming because old ones N.O.S. on EBay were going for 55.00/USD. I probably should have put a $12.00 4 bolt flange bearing on instead. Next time I’ll swap over to 4 bolt and not have this problem again.

1 Like

Got the blower housing repaired, also got the uber-expensive bearing in. The carriage bolts I ordered did not make it in today, and the hardware store was out of flat black paint. Hopefully this weekend will see everything cleaned up and painted (guy said more should be in tomorrow) ready for assembly when the bolts come in.

3 Likes

All cleaned up and painted

I’m bringing in a hammer to work tomorrow to get some spares cut, need to replace a few before it goes back together. I’ve been dumping kerosene on the big drive pulley and doing the tapping thing since last weekend, moment of truth is drawing near.

Been a steady snow here since this am.

4 Likes