Gasification planning

All good points. The one I saw when first searching videos was powered by wood pellets, but was wondering what you would need for a larger setup. Agreed I need to think about it, but I’m not sure how much I need to read before I can start on a project. Trying to avoid trial and error. Would rather pay someone to do it right the first time.

Lots to think about!

1 Like

Excellent point. Can you at least point me to a posting that shows the engine says / gasifier size matchup?

1 Like

That really depends, there’s an older chart in the Library section for an Imbert specification gasifier. Older style but still works, prefers the wood to be pre-dried down below 20%.
A much more easy to read version is in Ben Peterson’s Wood Gasifier Builder’s Bible, great design for generators. You can buy that book on Amazon. For a big truck I would go with the Wayne Keith design. Both books are worth their weight in gold for their knowledge.

5 Likes

Cody, sorry man but I have to step in here.
Many with WK system in their pickups have woodgas fueled their electrical generators.
This is done After the gasifier system is heated up and stabilized by the larger truck operating.

How long can the generator run before the big gasifier system cools off too much?
Lot of depends there. Time of the year and where you are at. The generator size and electrically load demand, therefore woodgas demand put onto the gasifier.

Just like a tractor PTO driven electrical generator that piece of wheeled equipment then gets tied up im-mobile when powering buildings.

Steve Unruh

5 Likes

That’s what I’m getting at, Steve. It’ll work for a decent amount of time but eventually that heat is lost.

I think it would perform with the much larger 4 cylinder generators, they could keep a decent CFM demand to ensure enough heat.

But I don’t know how long a 670cc would keep up. I’d be afraid of it depleting the char reserve.

2 Likes

Four hours I reckon. As it will be horsepower asking woodgas at ~twice the truck engine needs at an accessories loaded idle.

Sure sized down a smaller stationary woodgas system for the smaller electrical generator system. Then have two. Free back up the truck.
Ha! Then he will get to make his needed 15-30 pound an hour of wood chunks half sized down too. Not fun at all.
S.U.

5 Likes

why not keep the truck running to sustain the heat, while fueling the genny?

3 Likes

This might be kinda what yall were talking about . The truck is not running

5 Likes

Welcome to the site Craig. The question no one has asked is what fabrication skills you have. Do you Weld would be the main one. If not, it is something you could learn easily enough for what is required for most builds. If you are determined to buy something then you should contact Matt Ryan at https://www.thriveoffgrid.net/. Matt is a member here and will probably join the conversation anyway. I’m not sure how his systems are adapted to powering a vehicle since he mainly builds stationary systems but he is the guy to go to for off the shelf. If you build a system yourself you will understand it well enough to maintain it. Gasifiers operate in extreme conditions and there is always replacement of components you will be faced with sooner or later.

5 Likes

Sorry for the late reply - the system capped my comments at the first 8 that I made, and I had to wait another day to respond.

Let me first say I am overwhelmed by the insight and knowledge you guys are sharing. It’s a bit like drinking water out of a fire hose, but it is REALLY getting me thinking about all this and fine tuning my thoughts. I thought initially, "heck, I’ve got a lot of wood around my property, but never thought about the need to get it ‘chunked up’ before being able to use it. Probably sounds pretty basic to all of you guys, but again, as a newbie, something that makes you pause and think.

Tom - I have what I would call a very weak welding machine - I think they call them flux welders - which I would need to buy something much more powerful / appropriate to really get welding parts together properly. I am not afraid nor unhandy enough to do this type of work - I do love to learn new things and get better at all my fabrication and repair skills. I’ve fixed my cars myself, done practically everything you can do to a house regarding repairs, etc. Just never had the need to do welding. But, I certainly am up for learning a new skill!

Thanks for the heads up on Matt - I’ll contact him to see what he thinks about all this - thank you for the recommendation. Yoiu guys are truly the best. If that doesn’t go as planned, Wayne will have a new lifetime member in this group. I am truly in awe of just how supportive and helpful you all are!

6 Likes

To be honest most of the welding on a WK gasifier is very light material. And a smaller welder with .023 wire would make welding the thin material less painful. @ForbiddenTuna i believe Cody is using a flux core welder. Im sure he can chim in as i am not.

Im just saying “where there is a will there is a way”
:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes I use a flux core welder. I have to be very careful to not blast holes in the material, I can’t fit smaller than a .030 wire in any of my welders.

1 Like

Is your welder an inverter DC type, or is it the Harbor Freight AC welder? I’ve used both but an inverter type makes much smoother beads.

Craig, Run .023 on the sheet metal if you can. It will be a lot easier. Other than the fire tube you could probably braze everything else if that would be better for you.

1 Like

Probably the best bang for the buck. Unreal good customer service and warranty…

One step up and has DC only Tig ( won’t do aluminum with this model). However DC Tig is great for Tig brazing and fantastic welding mild steel to stainless with 309L filler.

I have the Tig 225 and love it. Ordering the 180 mig for mobile work and set it up with 024 wire and keep my big mig set up with 035 and 045 wire.

Lots of decent migs out there but these are fantastic machines. I’ve had miller all my life and tried this brand to have one at home and leave my miller at my comercial shop…well when I moved shop home I sold my miller dynasty Tig and my miller 252 .

7 Likes

Thanks, guys! Great information as always! I sure do appreciate all of you sharing as readily as you do. Very grateful to say the least!

9 Likes