Gasifier the hive

I rebuilt my oil bath filter because it was passing too much oil with the gas

the gas comes from below, dabbles in oil, passes through the steel wool tanpoms

then the gas leaves in a large cyclone before directing it towards the safety filter

Thierry

8 Likes

tonight, try to my automix .
the reaction time seems slow can be because of the small section of the pipes which feeds the diaphragm

`https://photos.app.goo.gl/2cmze2m44jd4UX9u5

Thierry

4 Likes

Hi Thierry, I looked at your video of the auto mixer reaction. It seems to be working the same as mine. When driving down the road the valve does not have to move quickly. It actually moves very little and slowly.
I hooked a live video camera up to mine valve and watched it operating and the air adjustment was hardly noticeable at times. You should be good to go.
Bob

3 Likes

thank you Bob for the encouragement.
I tested again today with drip and wood vinegar instead of used oil. the engine reacted well but difficult to judge the power gain on our small snowy and slippery country road. the temperature of the gas at the exit of the cyclone remained under 65C (I will see tomorrow if the inside of the gas generator is without vitrified ash ) a point that I observed, the vinegar vaporizes in the nozzle and creates a pressure in the line of the drip which makes it almost impossible to calculate the precise rate of the drip
I may have to change my nozzle (I found it curious to be the only one to have this design) :thinking:

6 Likes

Hi Bob

here is the design that i currently have
is this correct ?

Thierry

1 Like

Hi everybodea

I temporarily suspended the development of my truck’s gas generator for the following reasons … ( see photos )
I’ll keep you posted if there are any developments this summer.

Thierry

[https://photos.app.goo.gl/uzYYfEehhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/Qdhnq5aqrLVo2ZPx7UgSaZXv5A](https://photos.app.goo.gl/uzYYfEehUgSaZXv5A)

8 Likes

God Bless both of you hard working young people! :smile:
Gabrielle

Happy Springtime!

12 Likes

Good morning all
I did a little test to build an outdoor stove powered by chargas. But after 40 minutes of heating the water did not boil yet. What can I do to improve the heating power?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AtRBTYxuG9z2wkTu6

Thierry

2 Likes

You need more gas. I had the same problem with myne. Chargas burners can be tricky. You can allso drill a couple of holes on the top of the burner.

Allso, a bit of hydrogen helps! Makes the gas burn faster and sort of concentrates the heat. A tiny bit of water injected in the gasifier.

5 Likes

I think Koen is the expert of gas ring burners , have seen a lot of them on his postings , maybe he will share his know how with us on hole size ect .

3 Likes

Here is one I made a few years ago out of a gas water heater burner mounted on a cut off pressure cooker and fastened to a propane tank with a computer fan blowing thru a ceramic nozzle. I used fine charcoal that fell thru a 1/4 inch screen.

19 Likes

I copied the idea, used a bit coarser charcoal, finer would work better no doubt.

Sorry for the poor flame in the first pic, I think it was bridging at that moment.

14 Likes

hi don is that just a pot with a lid on it and a hole in the top to let the gas out siting under the top burner hole. you then put a blower tube in the bottom th give it air what size of holes were in the burner unit. and how much heat did it produce that is realy simple . I would never have thought somthing like that would work. and you didnt have any tar or anything else. Do you think it would heat a house or boil water ??

2 Likes

I can describe my build. I used a stainless steel kitchen waste bin from Walmart. My idea was to make something suitable for camping in fire ban zones.

Fairly simple nozzle construction, 1/4" hole in a cap, stainless 1/2" spacer to keep bottom from getting too hot.

13 Likes

Larry, I used an old pressure cooker with the bottom cut off because the top could twist off for easy filling and clean out. The nozzle is near the bottom like Garry shows above. Charcoal already has the tar cooked out of it so no worries there. Woodgas does not have the btu’s like propane or natural gas so don’t expect the kind of heat that the burner was designed for.

9 Likes

Larry; Put a lid on the pot and you will have a better chance of boiling water. TomC

4 Likes

Aha so it hasnt got the heat or the btus but it was a clever idea. and it worked. Well guys it is impresive you wouldnt think it would work hardly at all. But from the vedio it did a impresive job. I am imprest and. Thanks for describing how you did it.

2 Likes

Hi everyone

I try to fine-tune the adjustment of the mixing air of the gasifier of my truck. a smaller valve would be more precise and less bulky. what valve size do you recommend? my engine is a 2.4 liter

Thierry

1 Like

I use a 1-1/4" gate valve on my 1.8 liter. Multi-turn gate valves allow more precision than a ball valve or stop valve.

4 Likes

A 1/2" ball valve (might be 3/4" not surre) opened all the way was ideal mix for me with a 2.3l engine. When l had to start closeing it down l knew gasifier is geting tight with ash and needs a cleanout.

6 Likes