GEK 5.0 - How does it work?

Hello Magne,

De book I have, is a bad paper copy of a museum book. An original is rare and will cost you a 4 figure number. So does a reprint. You might try a few good search machines, perhaps it is on the internet. Book title is: Holz und Holzkohle als Treibstoffe für Motorfahrzeuge. It is 520 pages.

Didn’t work on the Chevy for 1.5 years now, so even the modifications still have to be done. We drove only 900 miles over 2013, because permaculture, woodstove building, brewing beer, etc. are like woodgasification time consuming, but very pleasant time killers. Last week I made a start with the modifications by building a new gas/air mixer. Well, new is relative; kind of war time design.

Regards,
DJ

Hi DJ, I hope all is well on your side of the pond. Glad you are still at it. I’m moving real slow here right now (medical issues). I have to wear chains on my feet right now as the world is covered with ice and a foot of snow off the road. BTW, very wise choice to “retire” when you did. I quit my job at 45 and started my business. I’m pushing 60 and things caught up last year. Jim M hasn’t contacted me since late June but I try to keep updated at 2 paragraphs at a time with his stuff. Reading puts me to sleep, usually after 2 paragraphs. A book at over 500 pages is insane :o). I hope it has a pile of pictures … Stay well, Mike L

Folks, we’re going to be redoing the webcast on the v5 GEK gasifier hearth this eve / tomorrow morning. This time it is scheduled to better line up with times in Europe, Africa and Asia (which is also 2am for Berkeley, which is also a better time for me, as Mike will confirm).

All the details are in the excerpt from the last GEKnews below, or via the link here:
http://www.gekgasifier.com/news/new-v5-0-gasifier-insides-revealed-live-webcast-thursday-jan-16th.html

[GEKnews] Repeat V5 Gasifier reveal webcast, now timed for Africa, Europe and Asia

Topics in this GEKnews:

1. Live V5 Gasifier webcast set for this Thursday on Asia, Europe, and Africa time.

2. Details of what’s going on inside the new reactor.

3. Final ten days of discounted sales on new Power Pallets.

4. Live webcast this week for Asia, Europe, and Africa: v5.0 Dissection and Explanation.

Last week’s webcast from our factory turned out to be quite popular–in spite of the fact it was the middle of the night for many of our customers. ( BTW, what were all you Italians doing up at 4am watching a webcast? ). To make it more convenient for the other half of the world, we’re going to do the webcast again, only this time during your daylight hours.

This round we’ll start at 2am Pacific time, the morning of January 16th. This is GMT-8. This lines up to the following times in Africa, Europe, and Asia:
10am in Monrovia, Liberia
11am in Paris and Rome
12 Noon in Johannesburg, South Africa
1:00 in Addis Ababa,Ethiopia
3:30 in New Dehli
5pm in Bangkok

Jim will host again, walking you through all the details on the innards of the V5 Gasifier and Power Pallet. Questions will be taken and answered live. The webcast will be at: Your Account Has Expired.

Want an automatic reminder? Send an email to [email protected] with the word “reminder” in the subject line, and we’ll send you a note an hour before the webcast begins.

has anyone tried to build a reactor similar to gek v5

I am considering modifying my GEK 4.3, I don’t think it would take a lot to change the reduction zone and grate. If I so I will make a whole new part from the air neck down to grate so it can just drop into the GEK 4.3.

I have a all power labs grid tie power pallet with version 4 gasifier . It arrived broken and took me years to get working .
Now working on new gasifier to attach existing power pallet .

Hi Henry, welcome to the site.

Sorry to hear about the broken GEK. Was it under any sort of warranty? I’m not familiar with their customer service model.

I have seen a few of them in person, the older designs at least… robust is not the word that comes to mind.

2 Likes

Chris
I asked for a refund before I opened the box , because they had sent me the wrong thing . I think Allpowerlabs wanted another $10,000 to send a tech out to commission unit . I was not nice . I did receive replacement fuel switch . I was advised about change to recommendation for packing gas filter . The first problem with operating unit was governor throttle body sealed with tar . Unit arrived that way . Woodward is local company , replacement parts not available . Got replacement bearings from Grainger . Could not use unit with ComEd . Bought 16 L16 re b trojan batteries and outback gs8048a inverter . operation is charge batteries through inverter with grid tie power pallet then disconnect grid tie power pallet and discharge batteries through inverter to grid with net metering .Power pallet would not run after inverter was installed . Months later caped air inlet to gasifier and used lighter tube as air inlet . It finally works . It works really well . There is leak in pyro coil , wood gas burned inside gasifier . It was probably shipped that way but got worse over time . I was in touch with customer support months ago was told my issues would be addressed and they never got back to me .

2 Likes