Getting started questions

Talk to the scrappers. Just email them ask. Tell them you are willing to pay for the metal too. I mean that is their business so you sound serious, and not some cheapskate.

2 Likes

I agree with sean O, contact as many scrapers as you can,offer them more than scrap pays and see what they have, scrap is down at this time,so its good timeing too buy before they have too clean up there yard.You can allso run add in the local papper,or add on craigs ,list what you are looking for.I ran add in weekly papper,paying 10$ for water heaters ,and have about 9 of them over hear all gutted ready too use.water heaters at scrap prices is about 6$ for big one,so the phone rings.

Sounds good I will try that. I have found a few water heaters and gutted them already, its a messy job. There is a lot of steel in them im surprised that you only get $6 for them. I just scored a few large sheets of 1/8" and small strip 1/4" steel off clist for a fraction that it cost full price.

Scrap around here pays about 4.5 cents pound, or 90 a ton, or 2000 times 4.5 =90 a ton. water heaters i think are 100 too 150 pounds on the big tall heavy metal ones,some are real thin metal,i got one of them, the yard around here that sells his scrap steel charges 40 cents a pound for used and 80 cents a pound for new like pipe.Ihavent seen any pipe smaller than 13-and 1/4" ID ,kind a heavy allmost 3/8" weighed 60 pounds before adding the rest,too big for your little truck,how far are you from MICHIGAN,the peice i bought last year was $65.00 about.

MY neyber sold me some swing set pipe and 5 more 5 footers of the 2+" fence pipe, The swing set pipe is too thin too bother welding,its about 1 -7/8" and can be used for cooling rails, too keep the weight down. I paid him 20 bucks, and 10 for an old washer for parts.Still much cheaper than new pipe not cheap.

Went down to the local scrap yard/metals supply and found it! They cut a section of pipe for me they are called, “White City Metals” in White City OR, good people over there. They didn’t have 1/4" but I got 3/8". Its big but a lot better than the 1/8" tank I was going to use.

3 Likes

Thats some nice looking pipe,if its about at least 11" you can use it in toyota or dakota v8 or what have you.my top plate is 1/4 inch thick, its holding more weight than some of the lighter burn tubes, I peice my top plate together,it took a lot more welding that way,was my trade off on buying the full sheet,plus i had no way to cut 1/4" thick round hole.Because i dont like the price of oxegen.BBB steel.