Gilmore style?

Thanks Koen and Ray. Thanks for tolerating my confusion. I thoroughly understand wood gasification but I guess my confusion is where we get partial burned carbon gases. You and I exhale CO2 and the tree take it in. But in the house when I have a fire in the fireplace I have to watch out for CO cause that can kill ya. And like the fire in the fire place, sniff’n on the tail pipe of a running car is the same. Why didn’t that CO all change to CO2 when it came in contact with air (O2) This is rhetorical just trying to explain how I get confused Thanks again TomC

1 Like

Carbon monoxide burning is a shift reaction correctly displayed like this: O2 + 2CO ←→ 2CO2 so it is inposible for all the CO to react. The reaction is depended on the conditions like presure and temperature.

1 Like

I’m guessing this is why you don’t see any charcoal gasifiers being manufactured or sold by big companies. As simple as it is to understand the importance of good ventilation, you know that if enough people adopted this technology, a few would end up dying of CO poisoning. The liability would be too high.

1 Like

CoryW,
ouch…
isn’t the gas the same as in an wood gasifier ?

1 Like

Kristijan,
for complete combustion, stoichiometric, 1Kg CO + 0,57Kg O2 = 1,57 Kg CO2
normal full combustion is adviced to use 120% of the air needed…

1 Like

Thierry,
Correct, using one defined measuring point for the TC and use it with a PID to control a solenoid to keep the core temperature within the desired levels.
Solenoid for endothermic materials as exhaust gasses or water vapor.

1 Like

Yes. Wasn’t meant to be a jab at gasification, Just reality

Nothing’s perfect. If cars ran perfectly there’d be no CO in the exhaust. Same for woodgas… a little bit goes right through the motor without burning. Better tune up = less CO emissions.

4 Likes

Hi Koen

the solenoid valve operates in all or nothing (open 100% or 100% closed)?

Thierry

Hi Thierry,
Yes in this test setup it does, but with some tricks of course :wink:
Having a minimum pipe and a maximum restriction, the solenoid never closes the minimum (hand valve on secondary pipe )
Imagination is the only restriction in life :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You are absolutley right Koen but eaven with 120% of oxigen it is not posible to burn absolutley every molecule of CO becouse every chemical reaction has a diferent reaction rate coeffitient. That tells the amount of reactants that will actualy react to form products. Unfortunaly l cant find my old textbook with the table of reaction rate coeffitients for most usual reactions. They are usualy guite high meaning most (lets say 99,5% or more) of reactants will actualy convert to products but with a poisonous substance the 0.5% can not be neglected.

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
That is exactly why woodgas is to prefer above gasoline…
Less reactants in the fuel (read producer gas ), much cleaner emissions… lets keep it that way… clean and green…

3 Likes

yup, i am learning how to weld the bigger things …

and she’s happy with it :wink:

Ow yeah, this one is for a huge distill / cooking set (booze) , to provide the heat for the cooking

3 Likes

Welding it on the chassis, next the small one, learning by doing…

3 Likes

looking good I see nasa calling :grinning:

2 Likes

replacement for the spaceshuttle program… Launched by charcoal Hydrogen :grinning:

5 Likes

Can I pull the rocket out with my charcoal tractor…? :smiley:

2 Likes

Setting up a new alternative space program, everything with charcoal…
Even charcoal dust in a geostationary orbit, to block the sun radiation, preventing the heating up of our atmosphere :grinning:
Only our imagination is the limit … in our dreams :grin:

2 Likes

reminder to myself… don’t forget to install the safety lid… or walking on the moon is eminent…

3 Likes

Koen; One thing that jumped right out at me with this build is, 3 legs might work better than 4. You know that old saying that 3 points determine a plane. The 4th leg might make it harder to sit steady on a floor. TomC

3 Likes