Hacking The Honda Clone - small frame

German layout, but the typer isn’t… :grin:
But i can handle :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am looking for an programmable CDI/ECU unit, but must be affordable :wink:
Did not get reply’s from that shop on earlier postings…

1 Like

I am not sure about an ecm or programmable CDI unit.
I looked into these things for racing and felt they were too complicated and expensive

I have not sent an email to my chum about you yet
Its been a while and I may have to track down a new email.
I very seldom use Honda parts since moving onto the 70mm bore clones.
There was a flood last time we exchanged email.
The whole city suffered damage an his shop was washed out.
That was a few years ago.

Back to CDI.
Just my opinion but I would use the Honda CDI unit off a newer engine and manually set the base timing with a light.
Its not fancy but all you are going to need will be 5-10 deg of advance from around 25 btdc as your base timing.
A GX200 will quite happily pull start at 25 with no ill effects.
Once you get to 30 or 32 they get hard to pull start but run fine above 3600 on gas or methanol.
I think that is the range you want too about 30 btdc as a starting point for producer gas

4 Likes

its something where i have to start with yes, on my to do list from now :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s an interesting book. A lot of the information applies to gasOline, still good stuff…

Wallace, welders are expensive. It might be possible to cast a head. I looked at one tonight, it would not be easy. A piston would be easier. Did that in high school shop class, co project with a friend.

The storm has started tonight… :fearful:

3 Likes

That looks like it could be a very useful book for more of an entry level.

Where I have heads and blocks welded its for very specific reasons.
In the case of heads its to provide enough material to alter the shape of the ports or combustion chamber for very exacting reasons…
Where I have blocks welded it to prevent them from splitting in two or more pieces.

Why I welded that G200 head casting was to create a quench ( this head had no quench for emissions reasons ).
I also wanted a smaller chamber to and the 210FA generation 3 flat top piston.

Quench and a small tight chamber speeds up burn time and improves mixing in the chamber.
The down side to a Hemi is it is very slow burning.

3 Likes

I wonder if putting grooves in a head works…?

I have heard that lapping the flywheel to the crank shaft with valve grinding compound will ensure no slipping when removing the key. If the pull start is on the flywheel and timing is very advanced, pull before turning on ignition to avoid kick back which may cause flywheel to slip.

2 Likes

Good morning Bruce .

I once tried the above ( without valve grinding compound ) and the flywheel didn’t stay put. I ended up cutting a new keyway slot in the flywheel to advance the time. This was on a 16 hp honda clone .

2 Likes

Hi Wayne,
Not enough time to try all of these ideas. I’m so thankful for this great forum.

4 Likes

Wayne:
Did you have an issue with the flywheel or were you trying to alter the timing?
I don’t know why lapping did not work for you, just bad luck.

If you were attempting to move the flywheel for more advanced timing you can use this trick part to do the same thing.
Or you can file a key. id you slice .006 off one side ( protruding ) that’s about 1 deg of timing.
The also sell offset keys that work good too!

Jeff:
I heard of that head grooving, but I have never seen it done with and no one I raced with ever talked about trying it.

1 Like

Wallace, some methods might work better for gasoline because vapors like to wash out of the air stream.

I do not think that Wayne lapped the flywheel/shaft. Maybe it works better with smaller flywheels. I don’t know BUT plan on giving it the old wood gas try… :laughing:

Hello Wallace

I wanted to advance the time more than the offset keys would allow. I think I advanced it 20-25 degrees above factory setting.

Below is a video showing the generator running from the truck gasifier.

I have used a small lawnmower motor running from wood gas and used a 4 cylinder dist for running retard or gasoline and switching to the advanced flywheel ignition on the fly.

Wish I had pictures but it was long ago before I had a camera .
The below thread talks a little about this .

3 Likes

Thats a big block clone, not something I tinker work with.

BUT that Honda coil I talk about for the UT2 Honda will also work on that engine.

If you added a few deg of timing ad got to 25 I would suspect no real issues with gasoline, but it might be a little harder to start.

I am aware of that tractor pulling site.
When I started drilling and building my own carbs many of the tips I picked up from the tractor forums came in useful.

You generator sounds good on the wood gas.

3 Likes

I meant to add if you cut a new key you really added a lot of timing.
At about 1 deg per .006 you do the math lol.

You should get a timing light on there and see where you really are.
Also watch your head and exhaust gas temperature.
You may not hear the ping ( I have hearing loss ) but you will see the effects of too much timing as a drop in EG temp and increase in head temp.
There comes a point where the improvement drops off with more timing and you start to drop back.
But you won’t appreciate it until you careful plot this out in fuel burn and power output.

A point comes when you are causing pressure spikes that are doing harm to the internal parts even though your real power is higher than you were with retarded timing.

I am going out on limb since we don;t have any tables and test data, but 30 deg advanced is as much as I am comfortable with suggesting as a maximum.
That’s a .060 slice off a stock key and you have exceeded that by a lot.

One thing I noticed is you can never be sure where the starting point is.
Some clones are so out of the ball park they start life well under 20 ( for NOX maybe? or just sloppy tolerances I don’t know )

Need a timing light.
The ignitions on these engines are very very stable.
Once you have a found TDC and back marked your flywheel ( or pulley what ever you are using its easy to see even with cheap Chinese timing light )

This Clone is set at 25 before TDC and runs just under 10:1 compression on pump gas ( this is a stock GX200 with the flywheel and head off a 160. The 160 flywheel is broached for 25 with the stock key so its a bolt on trick for more timing. It burns 91 premium ).
Now see how easy that pull starts, you should be able to get to 25 and still pull start.
But if you increase compression you will need less timing.
Your looking at the grub screw holding the pulley.

Wayne:
I can not see what engine that is.
But its big block.
I know they share a lot of parts and a stock head from a stable mate may fit that block and it may give you a compression boost.
I know you can use a 390 head on the larger Chinese 420 and 440 motors and get a compression increase of about 10:1.
If I was going to rebuild a generator specific for Gen gas I would look real hard at that option.

10:1 is a magic number it still pull starts, timing requirements are less and stock internal parts still work as long as you do not over speed them

2 Likes

i stripped my clone 160, after 500 hrs runtime
2 valves are the same, 25 mmm

4 Likes

Very clean inside.
Could you take an even closer picture of the head and piston?

If you can buy a GX200 replacement cylnder head gasket that will give you a small compression increase if you plan on returning this engine to service.

How does the cylinder bore look?
I wonder how much wear you have ?

500 hours and its so clean inside!!!

2 Likes

Inside the spark plug boot there is a brass threaded part that makes contact with the spark plug.
This unscrews and a small spring and button.
Remove this button and replace it with a small piece of welding rod or copper wire.
This is a RFI noise suppressor and removing it will allow more coil energy to snap across plug gap.

2 Likes

Is that a small triangular hole in your piston face? If so, is it supposed to be there?

The GX200 has a very very short rod compared to the length of its stroke.
To compensate for this the wrist pin is offset slightly from the centre of the piston to reduce the amount of side force on the power stroke.

In a perfect world the Small block would have a deck about a three quarters of an inch taller, but it had to be a cube shape that fit where the flat heads were installed and the solution was this offset piston.

4 Likes