Home made bread thread

Oh mouth-watering :drooling_face: Please share the recipe too

4 Likes

First you need a really bossy Onion…
prunes not here I bet in the bathroom…

( not translation, he just says no prunes we can’t have bigos without prunes and he is right. This is actually an add for a chain of Polish markets )

This is pretty close to how I like to make mine.
I cheat I use shredded cabage salad mix and kraut with carrots.

I also like a good smoked bacon, willd game if you have it apples if you want that instead of prunes or both…

The bowl is just a bread bowl but you will want to get a nice crispy fresh rye to do this.

Keep the stuffing from the bread.
Its awful to waste good bread and you can make all kinds of things like puddings with old stale bread

This is not Bigos

It’s fried ground pork from some ceaseless sausage
About 250 grams
Fried cabbage salad mix
Red wine
Onions garlic
Paprika salt pepper
Broth
Tomato sauce and pasta!!!

This is a surprising quick easy cheat that is a little like bigots but with some pasta to give it a more familiar North America twist

Supposed to be lunches for the next three days but I keep picking at

Cabbage is very good for you and it’s an inexpensive way to make a meal

7 Likes

Putting that bread to work…

The grocers around here before the stores close they mark down those roast chickens that no one wanted all day.
By the end of the day REALLY no one wants them, they are starting to get dry.

That is the starting point for this bread recipe ( my wife calls this a pudding I don’t know exactly how you define a bread pudding, she is a Scott/German ancestry so you can be sure what she is trying to say and you should not argue… )

My cheats:
I let my bread dry out a little so it crusty…
I use a can of cream chicken soup instead of broth.
I add some cheese onions garlic
worchester sauce
salt pepper…

Options add some milk and eggs to make the dish a bit more moist and rich

Bake it oven…

Because the bird is already cooked you can taste the seasoning and flavour a little while you mix.
Advantage of this is you can experiment with what ever else you have left over in the Veg drawer like celery.

I like to find things to make from the things you would often throw out.
Tossing out bread makes me cringe.
Wars and revolutions have be started because of bread or a lack there of…
Dont waste it!!!

7 Likes

On a cold and snowy February morning like this it makes a person glad for a garden and a wood cookstove. My grandparents came over from Norway (Rogaland) in the 1920’s and we grew up on Lefse, Kumpa both made from Potato and potato cakes and Gjetost. All were a treat for the kids. Dad told me his dad would boil small potatoes on the woodstove to feed the chickens in the cold months.
I do the same with the chickens and still make lefse and potato cakes and almost always have Gjetost in the fridge. With possible grain shortages in the future we’ve been playing with flour replacement in much the same way that lefse and potato cakes cut flour in half we’ve made potato bread with two thirds flour and one third potato which makes a nice bread.
We grew over half a ton of potatoes in 2022 and some great Floriana grain corn (100lbs) so we thought we’d play around and try to use more of what we can grow here.

Looking out over the lonely garden that produced the corn and potatoes, just the old stocks peaking through the snow.

IMG_3506

The bread is 4 cups Flour, two cups corn meal and two cups cooked mashed potatoes, and added salt and yeast.
Woodstove heating up with Birch and bread in bowl rising on top of warming oven.

Two hours later, the risen dough is formed and scored before putting in oven and turning every 10 minutes

after around 30 minutes it’s ready to come out, smells really good. Jar of cornmeal in the background.

After the bread was taken out we slowed the fire and put in a Dutch oven with a beef roast set in a broth with Carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic also from the garden to slow cook for 4 hours.

We have found that a large pizza stone really helps in the oven to brown the bottom of the bread too because the top of the oven browns things fast and the stone compliments the baking

16 Likes

This one is on the list to try from a northern friend in Labrador, his mothers recipe

8 Likes

Thanks for the new-info bump up on this topic MarcusN.
Good food. What’s not to like.

And thanks for the pictured-up view of you new “Flame View” Margin Stoves wood fired cooking stove PaulH.
F-i-n-a-l-l-y re-found this and able to show the Wife as she was cooking breakfast on the electric range stove. The in-hearth Lopi “Revere” glass front heating stove around the kitchen/living-room divider wall merrily heating the house.
The Wife still thinks I could rebuild one of her old family’s antique kitchen woodstoves to do working duty. Hmmm. 1st off: I am not that good of a welder fabricator to be able to bring that warped & cracked cast plates, old cast iron beast safely back alive. 2nd; she’d still be locked into a small stick-wood fire box. 3rd . . . well the list goes on for a never-be-completed project.
Sometime the real solution is NOT to make everything a Brainiac project but just save up and buy a solution. And be happy to support a self-sufficient enabling enterprise.
Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

Hi Steve, I hope you get one,
I bought a old woodstove built in New Brunswick several years ago and always meant to rebuild it which would require a willing foundry to replace a few plates but even then it wouldn’t be insurable so it sits in the shop awaiting a cabin to place it in one day…
The Flameview has been fantastic and has something cooking on it everyday during heating season although the “fake” range is used sometimes by my daughter.
When we first installed and lit the stove it smokes and I quickly realised I misread the directions that appeared to be hand typed. Our stove has the firebox on the opposite side to the regular stove so the levers were opposite also(left is right and right is left)
I phoned the factory and one of the owners answered and explained a couple things I needed to know. They are Mennonites in Ontario if I remember right and when I looked up the factory ,google earth street view took me to a pretty driveway in the middle of farm country.
We love it

3 Likes

Im experimenting with different grains, granulations and recepies these days since we got the flour mill going.

This is what seems to be the best one so far. Its 100% wholegrain homegrown wheat, just sifted once to get the bigger parts out (husks and grits). Oh, and a bit of sunflower seeds. Even thugh its not a sour dough, it is a rather high hidratiin dough so even after 3 days its still perfectly edible.

8 Likes

I made bread so often that I decided to make my own 1/2 gal mason jar version that I can just dump into my bread machine push the button come back in 3 hours to fresh hot bread.

In jar / container add then store.

1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

4 cups bread flour

1 tablespoon pwd milk

1 tablespoon moringa ( optional but a power house of nutrition )

Then when ready to make bread put into bread machine in this order.

1 1/8 cup warm water

4 tablespoons honey

( Jar of ingredients of list above )

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

1 teaspoon caraway seeds

9 Likes