Homemade sand battery

So how do you make charcoal with your TLUD? Do you cook then dump the charcoal into an airtight bin, or do you quench the charcoal with water?

The TLUD Iā€™ve been using lately is 6 inches in diameter and 12 inches high, so it is only good for a short cooking session. As soon as I remove the food, I grab the TLUD out of the ā€œframeā€ and dump the contents into a large stainless bowl of rainwater. After so many years in a severe drought, we finally got some water and things are green, so I am able to catch up on my piles of wood. I use a combination of Gary Gilmoreā€™s two barrel method when I have a lot of wood about the same size. For dirty logs and nasty thorny Mesquite and Huisache large stuff, I use a top down burn and quench early with about 100 gallons of dirty water. I sort through all this looking for firewood sized hunks, plus the small stuff that can be used in the cookstove TLUD. When loading the stove, I put some nasty stuff over the grate (which is partly burnt away), and then some nice dry pencil diameter hardwood about 1 to 2 inches long, then some torrified wood or char showing brown, and then some little stuff to get the fire going, with the help of a few drops of alcohol. A 12 volt computer fan is used at the beginning and end of the burn to prevent any smoke. (better to burn the smokeā€¦) Itā€™s usually so hot and dry here in Texas that I donā€™t have to worry about the charcoal being too wet.

8 Likes

Iā€™ll add this here. Apparently a cell similar to solar is converting great back to electric at 44% efficiency. It isnā€™t a seebeck style. But it is still in the lab.

2 Likes

Neat concept. A working temperature of 1425 C, 2615 F makes it slightly less practical with your average sand battery.

1 Like

Yeah that and it used gold as a reflective material kind of make it impractical for commercialization, but the idea itself has potential. And really piggybacks solar panel design concepts. Just tuned to a different frequency.

1 Like

Yep good infoā€¦ I ran into this type solar panel before in looking at heat storage, and it was so out of my normal frame of reference that I did not know how to process how it worked. But when you get to temps that high you have what I would guess you would call a miniature sun with all of that radiation. which is trapped bouncing around. The things that are out there we had no idea existed still blows my small brainā€¦

2 Likes

Mind blowing, but not yet fuse blowingā€¦

2 Likes