How to connect your syngas electical generator to the grid for money

This might be useful. This is different waveforms from various configurations of capacitors and inductors. It popped up in my facebook feed for whatever reason.
The last one, F, is called a Pi Filter

9 Likes

My rectifier box is type C, but together with the inverter is is closer to D or maybe even F (I haven’t opened my inverter to check its inner workings).

4 Likes

If someone is using energy pool pricing, there is always 24 (or 48?) hours visibility ahead. With good technology (like my geothermal pump) the device can charge buffer tanks (or batteries in other setups) when energy is cheap - or sometimes even negatively priced - and use one’s own buffers when the cost is high. Theoretically, with an extensive battery one could buy cheap and sell high, as the electricity is truly sold as any commodity. I don’t know about other parts of the world, but this is reality in Nordic Europe.

Many consumers here still prefer have a fixed rate contract for electricity, so there is no hassle or panic with the price spikes. In any case, there is also a fixed-rate transfer (grid) fee / kWh when purchasing power (but not with selling), and that hinders prospects for speculation a bit.

The occasional negative price (they actually pay you for using electricity!) is to alleviate a potential grid overflow (like with heavy winds) and its untoward consequences.

6 Likes

Are you signed up for spot price Teemu? I’m not. I pay a monthly avarage.
But, in theory - if I signed up - I could run my 12 kW heater (which I never use) to heat my 4m3 storage tank, when the prices are negative. It would require some automation though - unless I stay home from work and sit down next to the button every full hour. I would save a few cents and couple logs of firewood, but no paycheck.
Maybe when I retire this will become my new hobby :smile:

10 Likes

You can add a wifi controller using something like a pi pico w or an esp32 microcontroller, then connect that to a relay to turn on and off the device at the specific time. Actually you can use a microprocessor like a raspberrypi as well in this case.

I -think- some of the newer battery charge controllers or hybrid/off-grid inverters have a function to wait until a specific time before recharging the battery bank.

I would give you major bonus points to automatically grab the data, parse it and upload it to your controller automatically. :slight_smile:

You have better things to do like chop wood for gasifiers then sitting around trying to make your millions flipping on and off a switch when the function is easily automated.

4 Likes

I do not pay spot price, but if one sells energy the payment will be calculated using spot in any case.

4 Likes