I Need a New Toy- Introduction

Thanks Wayne,
I’ve got about 10 days of farming to do and if the weather holds I have 75-100 trees on the ground right now to get to some harder ground to mill up. Other than that I have plenty of slash piles.
Looking forward to reading up on your book.

2 Likes

Welcome from Alabama, looks like you come from big country out there.

1 Like

Thank you Billy, I’ve always wanted to see your end of the country.

Just looks a lot like 697.000,000,000 trees here in AL. Not nearly so cold though. Actually we stripped the last of the “frostable” garden tonight. Expecting 31 degrees in the upper gardens. haha. Our yankee friends here on the site have been frozen for a long time now. I expect ya’ll are kinda cold too huh? Everyone else is right. Get the book, get the membership. Get the help. Great bunch here.

2 Likes

It hasn’t been bad here yet and I’m hoping it stays that way. It has snowed a couple times, but not enough to amount to anything, although I have had to put on my Carharts a few times.

1 Like

Good.Good. To hear of your use-wood-for-power experiences Allen.

I too about 10-12 years ago wanted to expand out my use-knowledge from just heat making to power shaft making with wood.
Ha! Kinnda’ stalled myself for a year or two trying to gasify stove lengths of “stick-wood”. Can be done. But a pita to have to always on-hands keep the created char stack compacted with no internal smoke by-passing voids. Couple of limb knots sections can stick-wood gasifing mess up the whole process.
Concede and accept to having to pre-chunk process the bulk wood for internal flows and control and then it all becomes so much easier.

In this last 10-12 years corresponding and even doing quite a bit of traveling in WA, OR, CA, ID and even western MT to help out; exchange and learn; I have formed definite opinions on who will; or will not, make it.
Only some artists types ever make it.
Only some very professional welder/fabricators ever make it.
A higher percentage of woodworkers makes it.
A higher percentage of forester types makes it.
Very, very few hobbists/hot-rodder types ever make it to done, working, usable. Done-working, then game over??
Almost none of the save-the-world, esoteric types makes it.
Almost none of the brainaic, maths-centic types makes it to done and working. Talk. Talk. Talk. Calculate. Recalculate, endlessly.
And oddly to me only a very few engine guys ever makes it.
Why? Why?
Lack of respect for the wood.
A good woodstover learns to respect the wood for the life it allows him/her and their families. Wood fuels are not a “waste”. Not a consumable “found”. Not a pizza, eat and gone. Not a craft bottle of wine or beer. Consumed. Criticize. Go find, more-better.
Wood fuels are a blessing given to us to use, respectfully.
And only those who have learned to grant respect can ever have grace and peace. Become settled and happy.

Ha! Ha! Having learned in woodgasifiaction to mange the glowing woodchar stack thermal-chemical reduction section; and ranges of needed heats zones management; I now woodstove using 30-50% less overall wood. I can now use much wetter wood. And this year I celebrate 20 years NOT having to soots/tars/creosote clean out my 16 foot high wood stove chimney.

Keep on with the getting on, man.
tree-farmer Steve Unruh

9 Likes

Amen.
Plus 20 characters

1 Like

Well, it snowed here a bit last night, so I may be playing in the shop today.
Here’s a few more pieces that I found yesterday while out hunting for cows.
I seriously doubt that the cyclone will ever get used on any gasifier that I ever build, but I do need a bigger dust collection system in my woodshop.

Uploading…

6 Likes

That cyclone may make a good open top pyramid charcoal maker. I have been looking for an old combine that I could get the hopper off, to have for an open top pyramid charcoal maker. Look up what Don Mannes is doing to make charcoal. TomC

2 Likes

Thanks Tom.
I’m looking at buying a BIG planer for my woodshop and my first thought when I saw this thing was building my own dust collector and blower system. Up until now I’ve been using my CNC router to plane boards bigger than my little 12.5" portable planer can handle. I’m sure I’ll change my mind 14 times before it actually becomes a part of anything.

1 Like