Installing a cyclone in a gas cleaning system: pros and cons?

Hello Jan

#1 Motor side of filter
#2 Gasifier side of cooling system
#3 Fuel hopper

1 Like

Do you have 3 oā€™clock directly after the gasifier, ie between it and the first cleaner you use?

1 Like

I donā€™t want to interfere, but this is a message from the automatic interpreter:

Fuel hopper = wood container

2 Likes

OK, then I hope I understand, measure the vacuum in the wood container to see if the unit starts to get clogged?

1 Like

Interesting gauge location Quiz study. While on the subject,Has any body found any deals on h20 vacvuem gauges lately, i caint seem too find the gasifier parts bargin page.THANKS.

1 Like

Thank you for posting that video, or making it easy to find.
This video shows terrible negligence on your part. You failed to charge the batteries on your invisibility cloak! Probably so excited to drive that Dakota, you forgot about it.

2 Likes

Kevin,
It was discussed the other day it seems the cheap ones disappeared for now :frowning_face:

1 Like

moveing this questain too new topic.

1 Like

Me and JO both personaly drove with Wayne up to speeds not ment to be shown, can confirm :smile: on wood ofcorse.

4 Likes

Kristijan, confirmed :smile:
Imagine a team of Seats, half a dussin-in-hand. Thatā€™s the combined displacement in one of those trucks. No wonder police are busy :smile:
Smaller motors save on personnel. Our province is bigger than your country. During night time we have only two police cars patroling that entire area :smile:

4 Likes

If you look in the for sale section Kevin Iā€™m giving away Magnahelic differential pressure gauges. I am not sure if they would differ from vacuum gauges others are using on gasifiers. They are not normally used in a hot environment but if the tubing were stainless and the heat from the tubing was interrupted before it got to the gauge then It should work. I used to install automotive paint system in assembly plants. These were used to monitor pressure in the air houses that fed the spray booths. The ones I have were made by Dwyer. Lots of information on them and how to set them up on You-Tube.

1 Like

Flow to cyclone had been blocked , cleared that . Back flush with garden hose . What i did not know was flow out of cyclone was blocked by donuts of tar . gasifier was still operating but as an updraft rather then a downdraft because nothing is sealed and path of least resistance .
So many years of poor operation so much production of tar . If I have system working as it should .
I still have years of tar in system . It took allpower labs year to discover the tar filtering system actually introduced more tar .

Should the cyclone be chilled to reduce tar ?
System produces tar until it reached optimum operating temperature .
But the tar it produced is still in system .
Temperature goes up . trapped moisture turns to steam and tar moves further up stream .

1 Like

Ha, not nessesery. Coworker was in to road racing when young, their favorite cars were not 3.0 Audis or sporty Hondas but rather my Seat size 1l (ish) light cars. Easy to get hp out while still light enaugh to carry in a backpack allso :smile:

Suzuki Swift being favorite

4 Likes

Yes. Yes. It is true. My life 17 to 27.
Life-fun on four wheels began at 1098cc MG sedans, and the real fun topped out at 2000cc Datsun sedans maximum.
It wasnā€™t the engines. It was the lightweight chassis surprises on the stickiest of tires. I was a street terrosit in a Saab 96. No one expected such performance and speed. Then a a smurff-blue 4door VW Rabbit. Then a hotted up Ford Fiesta.
I am glad your friend came out the end of this madness KristijanL.
The itch never truly goes away.
Settled, two decades later it was the plain-jane stock Suzuki Samurai I had for 14 years that was at least once annually Surprize!, trying to do me in. A cosmic pay-back balancing I reckon.
S.U.

2 Likes

studebaker-daytona-1966-6

By dave_7 - originally posted to Flickr as 1978 Plymouth Colt, CC BY-SA 2.0, File:1978PlymouthColt.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

1 Like

Haha, hard to belive with that 65hp V4, Steve :smile:
I remember they were so front heavy you had to turn the steering wheel all around the clock even for the mildest curves. Those thin textile radial tires howled as soon as you didnā€™t go perfectly straight :smile:
The early two-stroke versions were great fun though :smile:

4 Likes

Errr. Larger Sonnet engine hotted up some. 1800cc ish. Still N.A. on cross fed SUā€™s.
Michelin steel belted, shaved, and sticky-made with secret chemical dribble sauce.
And of course handbraking for the tail-out steering.
Never actual power tested. Was not the point, eh.
The point was catch this rabbit. If you can.
An actual Sonnet would have blown the whole game.
Me the rabbit. And rabbits do not chase and catch hounds. Not the torque teeth to do that. Not the point of being the Ha! Ha! rabbit anyhow.
S.U.

2 Likes

This may seen to many as oh-so typical reminiscing topics drift.
It is not if the true lessons learned are applied.

You develop and build for the USEABLE net effects. Useable result are the ONLY. Optics woo-woos donā€™t mean nothing real.

Read back on the cyclones advices so far.
Object is to get useable engine fuel gasses with the simplest froo-fraw and power loss penalty, period.
The kind of street racing game Kristijan and I (maybe J.O.) talked, it was vehicle weight above all. Not the frigginā€™ engine power games
Stationary electrical power such as I do, and others. Your best easiest route is reduce the energy needs FIRST.
Actual vehicle gasifing for RESULTS and it is WayneK and one particular Finn guy who show. Neither as far as I know using a narrow range limiting high velocity cyclone.

Overall Kristijan first post is the best. Depends. Depends. Depends.

And cyclone separators usability/worthiness is judged by itā€™s overall system costs.
NOT by how much black crud you collect in the capture chamber. Look. Look. At what I did!

Especially when it is now my firm belief you are turbulence energy creating most of this black crud.
S.U.

1 Like

You can tell who the old guys are. They always want to talk about cars and machinery. Not I phones. I canā€™t claim to have had any glory days to reminisce about and tear up over after a few beers. But I always loved assembling a engine, and hearing it fire for the first time. Simple joys for a simple person.

1 Like

Still one with cycloneā€¦
Cyclone with reheating mantle, bolted to or welded on the gasifier. (for reheating wet return gas)

After the cyclone, comes a tube cooler with a collecting box in the upper end and a settling tank in the lower end.
The gas from the cyclone enters the end of the lower tank near its higher end. From this point the gas flows through a hanging burlap ā€œhoseā€ along the water surface to the opposite end of the collecting tank.
The streaming gas keeps the burlap hose fleeting at the water surface, because the wet burlap holds the entering gas.
The burlap hose HAS AN OPEN END!!!
ItĀ“s NOT a collector!
This way the gas gets wet, and and the soot and ash too.

The wet, hot gas raises up to the upper collecting box while cooling and condensing down, rinsing the cooler tubes.

From the upper box the gas is tubed to the reheating mantel on the cyclone, getting warm and dry for entering an ample paperfilter (insulated wintertime), which never gets wet!
Ready for excellent motor useā€¦
Max

7 Likes