Jesse Hart's gasifier

I agree… see if it will ignite with a flint striker. … if it will. … run an engine on it… personally, just flaring for the sake of flaring uses up good fuel stock

3 Likes

Two years ago I cut my grass on only charcoal. First ever gasifire. Not a drop of gasoline. I still never flared the gas once or tried to light it. I could tell by the smell if it was ready. My wood gasifire for my truck all I have done is flair it because the truck is not finished. I pulled on it real hard two nights then tore it down for a look inside. I had a few leaks because it was not pressure tested. Sealed them all up pressure tested and put it back together. It is ready to refill and run but truck is only close.

5 Likes

Don’t worry steve you wont ever see another flare from me
Theres alot of good ifo on this site and I have soaked it in as good as I can I don’t normally join chat groups of any kind because of the whiners. Some day I hope to learn as much about gassing as you think you have.
But am glad I wont be learning from you.

Mr. Wayne if I ever get to Alabama I would concider it a true prevlige to meet you.

Chris the same goes to you would also like to meet you
Thanks all
GOOD BYE
Jesse

1 Like

Hi, Don!
21.05.2016 15:00

You go with normal logic! You test.

Earlier (years back) even Steve accepted that steamy, wet or tarry gas was not to be offered to an innocent motor!
But effective filtering has (never) been his cup of tea.

Wet, steam-saturated gas is seen by the eye, aswell as bluish tarlayden gas.

Not before these obvious filthies are overcome by the process heat, is there ANY reason to do an IGNITION TEST!

By ignition test I mean NOT FORCE FLAME LIGHTING!

Any filthy gas can be forced to burn.

NO!
Test igniting happens with an EMPTY ! (oven-) gaslighter, giving just a small PIEZZO - spark.

THAT CORRESPONDS TO WHAT THE MOTOR HAS AT IT’S DISPOSAL!

In thousands of videos desperate flame - lighters are seen doing useless efforts to LIGHT filthy gas…

Abner’s article is good education!

Max

5 Likes

Yes MaxG is very correct.
I wasted away a w-h-o-l-e year of my life believing the flare-starers that only a pure blue flare was indicative of acceptable motor fuel gas. A w-h-o-l-e year of my life participating in pink, purple, yellow flares as indicative of woodgas hydrogen, carbon monoxide and/or wood methane.
Since my goal was to make MY trees into electricity for use by us using piston internal combustion engines all of this gum-gnashing was wasted efforts.
Mike LaRosa and Doug Williams, and others kept encouraging to just tars check then engine run with it. They did.
Saw with my own eyes too many times output gas that would not flare would engine run.

And it was Mr Max Gasman who straitened me out that since my intent was to use my produced gas in spark internal engines to stop flame lighting flares. That ONLY a spark lit flare could ever be valid.

WE all learn and help each other. So learn from those who have done. Ignore those who internt-jabber and speculate for perfections and idealisms.
Regards
Steve Unruh

Hi, Steve!
22.05.2016 23:30

Thanks for the spark recognition!

Helping and advising nubies is not always straight forward, as the reception of a described methode can be taken as unjustified critic, or something otherwise undue or illadvisment…

I have had several disapointments in trying to describe methodes without achieving the hoped for result… Still restarting when “called for”, in one’s own opinion. Now and then facing an eye opener.

Max

1 Like

Thats nice Steve, glad you wastedu a years worth of work! !
I’ve been at this wood gas thing for maybe three mths and I had spark ignitable gas on my first try. (Just used a toch cause it was easier) as for the color of my flame it was perfect if you had actually read the information that Abner posted, you would know that blue is the color of total combustion, it also represents the hottest flame produced by black char radiation.
only reason I’m not making electricity is because I do not own
a small ICE. The first of August 2016 I’ll purchase an ICE. Then I’ll
build a real gasifier. Not just a front porch TOY meant for cooking.
By Nov. I will be making my own energy, and using the residual
heat to heat my Apt. And guess what Steve I won’t have wasted a whole year.
The only thing holding me back is lack of funding.
What was your EXCUSE
Don’t complain about people asking questions. Its how we learn!
So have a COKE and a smile …
Jesse

Hi Jesse
I think what you are doing is fine, at leased you are doing something.
To many people want to sit and talk, but not do anything. as long as your doing it will always grow into something bigger and better.

Thanks Jim
It just ticks me off a bit when I ask a question and get complaints or arrogance
Thought this was supposed to be the best wood gas forum
To tell the truth I’m ready for the rest and this WOODGAS CHAT GROUP CAN CAN GO … You know what I mean.
I’m not thin skinned by any means, but when I ask an innocent question about filtering with water and some A HOLE from accross the pond wants to go off on me about why would he want to do that when he just built a monorator hopper
Look at me Im slikker than wet shite! and your just some new guy. Or a question about flame color and have the GRUMPPY OLD MAN FROM WASHINGTON start bitchn about flare starers.
As I said before
IF THIS IS THE BEST
THEN I’M READY FOR THE REST
Jesse

1 Like

Steve and Max, I’m am a spark liter indeed. Also use my ears because I like to hear that nice open air puff. Use my eyes not so much for the flame but the clarity of the gas. Expect some white fog but for short duration. I need to find a “PIEZZO - spark”, been using flint. My little saying is if it don’t lite with flint I don’t pull the rope. I’m the only one that never had luck starting an engine with gas that could not ignite.

Max, your gas chiller math worked good for me… Thanks…!

2 Likes

Lighten up Jesse. They’re trying to help.

7 Likes

No need to get worked up Jesse.
What I hear when Steve talks about flare staring is, you have wood gas and hook it up to an engine. You have something good going on, now see what you can do with it. Many people spend their time trying to get what they think a good flare is. All that matters is if the engine likes it. An engine pulling on a gasifier under load is completely different than a vacuum from a fan.
I see it as Steve trying to help by saving you tons of time.

6 Likes

Gee Jessie Really sucks you feel that way as read back through these posts I see nothing but very knowledgeable guys doing nothing but trying to help. If your not interested in constructive criticism or a little advice then it is probably best if you don’t post any thing for all to see. I have been part of this community for a few years now and have never seen anybody else ever feel anything but grateful for the help offered here or any other forum I have ever visited. If you are the only one that feels this way maybe it is you and best if you do bow out. really sorry you feel this way.

6 Likes

Thanks, Jeff!
23.05.2016 11:50

You are hardly the only one experiencing that! Me for one.

I think “ventilating” with the motor by starter and accumulator is a waste of resources, aswell as serving dirt to the poor motor.

The variables in “fresh” start-up gas are “endless”. The amount of hydrogen counter carbone dioxide and steam, among the most decisive…
The “poff” is a good hydrogen detector.

On the way to the motor, different filter media and dryness state affect how dry the gas will arrive… In a tight system, the “yesterday gas” may also play a role…

All observations are useful!

Max

2 Likes

I think your comments about the filtering are in another thread
http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/what-kind-of-filter-media/2325/64
Pepe and Steve (both valuable and respected members of this FAMILY) along with everyone else have done nothing but try and help.

If you have a problem with the whole world it may not be the whole world at fault.

14 Likes

Hey Jesse,

I sense there is something else going on in your life that has your very frustrated, and might have you a little over sensitive when it comes to comments on this forum. We’ve all had those days and once it has passed, we wish we could take it all back.

I think there are many who would agree with me how impressive it is that you made a working gasifier that was amazingly cheap to build yet worked very well. You have a real talent for fabrication!

What ever the issue is, I sincerely hope it blows over soon, and when you are ready, to share your progress again, I hope the forum moderators will consider having you back. Your work should be shared with the community and whether it’s here or somewhere else, I hope to see your work again.

10 Likes

For the record I did the first flag. Because I didn’t want Steve and Max reading something like that.

3 Likes

So, maybe when at first it ignites with the torch the CO is there but later the H2 shows up and the sparker can now ignite the gas…

3 Likes

Hello Jesse.

I have been around wood gas for a while and have used it to travel many miles. I am also old and hope a little wisdom comes with that age.

I have learned when Steve Unruh speaks, I listen .

10 Likes

Hi, Jeff!
23.05.2016 23:08

Yes, with a delay that is the right conclusion, based on needed temperatures and superheated steam.

Thanks for the Argos videoing!

An improvement generally would be, if both the actor and the cameraman have individual windproof mouth-boom microphones, radio (bluetooth?) linked to the recording camera!

Next conversation on your page, hopefully! I am not enjoing to stay here…

Max

4 Likes