JO's gasified 92 Volvo

To everyone, look at it this way. It is just scrap wood that would be slowly rotting away putting all the Atom Carbons back into the air. By the time Wayne leaves his proprty from his house down the long driveway to the main road, I can drive from my house to the Walmart store almost.
It is just wood not gasoline we are comsuming. My driving habits are different then all of you. My are more like Marcus, lead foot on the pedel. So I will comsume more wood then then you for sure. Different gasifiers, wood, driving conditions, flat land, hills, road speeds. Just to many verabiles to figure it all out on effiencies of wood driving. IT IS JUST WOOD and we have a lot of it for free.
Bob

8 Likes

Bob, I agree 100%.
Only time I care about efficiency is when I’m close to my destination, the hopper temp is climbing and I want to avoid refueling or switch to gasoline for the last few miles :smile:

10 Likes

Yup, I think the same way when DOW. Lol
Bob

7 Likes

Volvo filter change. Almost a full year of service. Just switched bag in the bucket. New sheep wool bag stuffed with fresh hay.

9 Likes

Where did you buy the blanket?

2 Likes

Oh so it’s a knit loosely woven blanket not a worsted wool type blanket.

2 Likes

IKEA. We’ve had a few for years, but I got permission to cut one apart :smile:

Yes, if you zoom in you can see how coarse but hairy it is.

6 Likes

Like this?

2 Likes

Looks like about the same material, but more expensive.
Jan, you have cheep. You could take up knitting filter bags on rainy days :smile:

4 Likes

Did the heat shrink the wool blanket? Looks smaller.
Bob

3 Likes

Mostly I think hay compacted over time. Not much heat involved in the hayfilter, but being wet and sometimes slightly warm may have made the bag shrink some. Also, I think it was slightly smaller than the new one to start with :smile:

7 Likes

Okay I am using the laundry bags but they justhold the hay no filtering with them. Thanks for the midsummer hay swim video, it looked really refreshing, and the river just floated it all away. Nice way to recycle the hay.
Bob

7 Likes

I don’t know where to put this, so I’ll choose my own thread.

Got a call yesterday from a guy from the southern tip of Sweden. He probably got gold of me through wife’s facebook and the gengas-group.
He asked for advice, since he already built a FEMA style gasifier - closed top but an air inlet pipe in the top of the hopper - and his gasifier puffed constantly and “didn’t work”. I suggested spending a year of studying, before attemting next try.

• No time, he replied. He expects a monthly $5,000 electrical bills during upcoming winter and I could hear panic in his voice. He aready got hold of a 1600 VW powered generator - but to power it, wood is a must. Sent him a rough “skizz” of what I would do if I started from scratch.
    Felt really sorry for him. He was desperate and admitted lack of knowlidge, but at least he’s aware of the situation. Talked to a neighbour of ours. She wasn’t worried at all, since she had lots of candles in case their heat pump quit running :thinking:

To make things even worse the news reported Putin closes the NG-valves today. Sweden doesn’t use NG, but EU electrical prices are tied to it, and the “free market” and highest bidder (Germany) sets the price. Only the northern half of our country can still benefit from our cheap big hydro. In the southern half we have already had prices 5 times normal and during fall and winter we’re expecting $2/kWh and rotating powerouts - much like California. HWWS (S=survive)

10 Likes

I wish the FEMA gasifier was taken off of the Internet, in all honesty. Did you link him to the Swedish Gengas forum?

9 Likes

Apart from my own “skizz” I suggested the DOW library actually. The only active Swedish gengas forum I know of is the Facebook gengas group and information isn’t very well organized (as far as I know).

7 Likes

Gary Gilmore. He can convert that Fema in a day.

8 Likes

JO, it sounds like the end of the world is coming… but if I think about how people lived thousands of years ago without electricity, without Russian gas, without oil,… if I look at how many incredible amounts of these energy sources are burned today for comfort and luxury, it is clear that this will come to an end, the amount of fuel is limited, I think that Russian gas deposits are quite depleted, but they want to keep the remaining amount for themselves. Those were the years of “fat cows”, but probably the years of “skinny cows” are approaching.

12 Likes

People in the world now are not going to adapt Tone. Like Esau they have sold their birthright for a plate of pottage. Hell, they don’t even know if they are male or female any longer. When the government teat withers they will have no where to turn.

8 Likes

JO, there is a topic here l think, “wood is the freedom fuel” or something like it. This comes to mind…

I got a comfession to make. A tiny bit of me feels good about this chrisis. A bit smug. I have been held as a overreactive lunatic by most people for a long time. I drive on wood. I spent thousants of hours for this. I heat and cook on wood. I spent thousants of hours for that. I bought 25 acres of overgrown farmland. Spent thousents of hours so far clearing it (and turning it to charcoal and firewood). Spent thousants of hours growing our food. All that while others laughed at me while liveing a life of comfort, spending energy and money at the gym, eating crap, watching tv in their AC apartments… ha, now their legs shake a bit, but literaly NOTHING has or can get changed for me. Our evectricity monthly bill is 15 bucks. If it goes up 200-400% like some here project, thats 50 bucks for me. I can swalow that :smile:

I am truely gratefull to be a part of like minded people here…

19 Likes

Tone, you’re right, but so is Tom. Maybe one in a million would be able to adapt. Knowlidge and skills passed on from generation to generation locally for thousands of years are suddenly gone. Scary. We’re all more dependent on ff than we like to think.

Kristijan, I’m no better. I get that smug feeling too from time to time. Almost only ff I use is for chainsaws and lawnmower. Electricity, I produce a lot more than I buy.
There are still many problems though. First of all we use several infrastructures to be able to keep even our wood powered equipment running. If they start to crumble…??? Secondly if the shtf I don’t believe governments or people in general will leave us alone. During WW2 farmer’s crops and meat were confiscated and rationed. Not to mention theft. If our vehicles are cruizing empty roads, we’re the only ones with lights on in our houses and our bellies still full, I doubt it would last for long.

11 Likes