Keith gasifier for a military genorator

On the specs plate the genorator says that the engine is made by Chrysler

1 Like

O.K. Eugene I saw your big barrels. Most would say too big to build a small engine gnerator system from.
Not so.
Watch these:

Watch and re-watch and re-listen again and again to Flash001USA’s video especially. He IS showing excellent hard learned operating procedures. An old video. He did kept evolving on and off into 2017. For longer hopper added running times. Switched from AC generator charging to 165 amp 12VDC alternator charging into his big home battery bank.

Both of these guys have learned zones; and zones controlling very well.
19 out of 20 youtube presentations with woodgas so-call running an electrical generator are a sad, sad, sick-joke. They do not show long hours running. Or the tared up engine from smoke running the generators. Smoke is a powerful engine fuel for one-time stunting. But just like in a chimney . . . sticky gooey creosote coating stuff.
Engine grade safe real woodgas is fully thermal-chemically REDUCED first; then cooled & condensed washed; and then staged filtered fuel gases.
Regards
Steve unruh

7 Likes

The engine was designed by Continental. It was part of the military standard system. Similarly, to the LDS465 multifuel engine in the deuce and a half, military standard engines were built by many different contractors. White, Hercules, Kaiser, GM, all built military standard engines. I would not be shocked if there were other manufacturers besides Chrysler and Continental, who built those little engines.
Can someone print the part for you?

@ForbiddenTuna, I like those lil military engines but they really are gutless. That lil twin is only 3hp. I would not waste my time on putting a starter on one though. I just bought a new 13hp electric start predator for $250…I would only mess with the military engine because of nostalgia. I have capitulated and gone OHV e-start, HF Chinese.

What I want to know, is , has anyone (here) put an electric start kit on a 6.5 hp predator engine?

2 Likes

Bruce I have, but you cannot add electric start to a Predator with the Hemi head. You can tell a hemi from the standard OHV by the valve cover. Hemi has a cast valve cover and standard has a stamped cover.

You can still do it, its just very unconventional

1 Like

From what I understand the taper on the crank for the flywheel is a different angle. It’s one of the biggest setbacks for the Hemi version, were popular with go-kart and motorized bike guys.

IIRC the Tillotson 212cc engines are a hemi and come with electric start.

Their flywheels can withstand 10,000 RPM as well.

Try doing that with a Predator, I double dog dare you. It’ll grenade after that kind of abuse if the valves don’t float first.

These have higher compression as well, dyno claimed 9hp out of the box.

1 Like

Small engine electric starting non-conventional coming up:
http://www.amazon.com/STARTER-GENERATOR-INDUSTRIAL-GSB107-10C/dp/B007NNGZZG
$132 USD
A Chinese knock-off of a four pole Hitachi unit. Used on golfcarts and resorts runarounds.
Belt it up to a mower deck driven pulley, center cut out and welded to a spare recoil starter drive cup.

Once engine started driving this; it will then generate for battery recharging.
S.U.

4 Likes

Yup done it many times. If the engine does not have a fly wheel for a starter this is the best way to go.

As for the Hemi Predators you can get electric start for them. You just need the standard starter and the flywheel for that engine. Just good luck finding that stuff but they did build stock versions of the hemi 212 with electric start. I had the Duromax version with electric start at one point it is the same engine. All 420cc engines both hemi and non hemi have electric start options.

Not all clones but most are made by Lifan. Predator, Duromax, and many other brands simply use them as a vendor and plop there name on em. Predator is just a brand, Lifan is actually producer of those engines.

In fact Lifan use to make the parts for the Honda. Thats how the Lifan clones came to be and why the parts were direct. Its because they are actual Honda parts. Honda sued Lifan and thats how the Predator engines came to be. Lifan had to change them so they made the Predators better than the Honda.

3 Likes

Might be worth saving your penny’s and getting this guy. It even has a key fob to remote start it.

Does not have 220 volt like the Predator version though.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100554-Generator/dp/B07BYBKB7G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2RTL6FLAM68K8&keywords=4375%2Belectric%2Bstart&qid=1681855101&sprefix=4375%2Belectric%2Bstart%2Caps%2C367&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3&th=1

Well I knew I should not have come on this thread. Now I have to buy this generator. It has 220 volt and electric start and its built by WEN Oh and yeah its deul fuel and for the same cost as the Predator. Well guess Im going to have to get this on order now darn it!

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-DF475T-4750-Watt-Portable-Generator/dp/B07M8FFS51/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2RTL6FLAM68K8&keywords=4375%2Belectric%2Bstart&qid=1681855280&sprefix=4375%2Belectric%2Bstart%2Caps%2C367&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3&th=1

Here is the Predator for comparison. However even though they show the wheel kit this price does include it. Although I cooked ours trying to team with our inverter units I loved that little generator and really miss having that little guy. Yeah dont ever try to connect these with an inverter generator; very bad baaadd things will happen. LOL.

https://www.harborfreight.com/collections/predator-generators/jobsite/4375-watt-gas-powered-portable-generator-with-co-secure-technology-epa-59207.html

1 Like

Matt, I have been looking at that WEN generator for a long time. It appears that you can only use 120 or 240 volts–not both at the same time, if I’m not mistaken. That aspect of it bothers me.

2 Likes

I think its bad translation. Dont make any sense once so ever that it cant produce 120volt while out putting 220.

I came to that conclusion by looking at the control/outlet panel. There is a switch with two positions. Maybe the switch is just for changing the large outlet from 120 to 240. I see now that the right position has 120/240 and the left position 120. What do you think?

That switch is for RV output out of that 220 outlet. In 220 volt it will still output 110 volt through the 110 outlets. Our 9500’s have this same feature

1 Like

That is good. Do you think it would have enough power to start a 1 hp water pump when powered by charcoal?

Dont know. I have not ran one much on any wood gas. I like them for gasoline running, They just are not enough power running wood gas.

2 Likes

Running this engine on wood gas is more of a test than something I want to use for a long time, as it is pretty small.

2 Likes

Hi Eugene,
That was my approach too, start small and simple, then tackle bigger stuff. I was able to stat on gasoline, then run on charcoal. I did this by leaning the mixture screw as the chargas came in stronger until it was totally on chargas. I didn’t feel the need for a blower or any kind of electric start. I don’t know if you can get to your mixture screw. That would be my first question.
Rindert

6 Likes

I have decided to transition to using A keith gasifier for this project, any tips?

1 Like

Eugene
I suggest you look carefully at Tone’s tractor in Tractor with gas? thread. He has come up with a nozzle low in the grate area that I think will prevent many problems.
Rindert

5 Likes