Learning About Hydrogen

Matt, regrading putting gas in garbage bags, there is a potential problem. When you separate the sides of the bag to inflate it, it can make staic electricity sparks. Learned this from experience.
I bought plans from Eagle Research for building an HHO gas welder. I built it with an 11 gallon cell. It’s built in 12 in. thick wall grey PVC. 10 ft of pipe cost me $1,000. I had all the plates cut out and, I built the electrical part. It uses 240 VAC with huge caps and HUGE diodes. Not sure what the final voltage is. I have quite a bit of experience with explosives. I have never turned on the HHO cell. I don’t trust it . It has a bubbler and, everything else. The bubbler is 3/16 wall stainless. It has good instrumentation. I still don’t trust it.

3 Likes

This was 10 years ago I had did these experiments and about 5 years of blower stuff up. I took safety precautions, but if you ever do see me running, prolly a good idea to run too. lol

3 Likes

Thanks for the link Matt, how many degrees does the filter have to withstand directly after the gasifier do you think?
I do not find how tight the fabric is woven, how big openings are there?

1 Like

Hydrogen and can spontainiously ignite in some circumstances and in large quantitys. Occasionaly there is some hydrogen produced in one of our neutralisation reacting tubs (100m3 big) at work and when that happen, lids fly trugh the roof. It ignites even thugh everything is metalic, grounded and cool.

About bags, thats a real bad idea (wich l allso did :smile:). A daughter of a friend carryed the bag of acetilene/ox. to her father when it blew in her arms. All clothes were torn from her and her torso was covered with tiny fractures on the skin, bleading everywhere. Luckly that is all that happened to a 12 yo girl…

4 Likes

You will need a cooling stage and something to drop ash debris before entering this bag filter. So the gas will be plenty cool before reaching this bag filter. This is a weave type fabric but is permeable I ordered the thinner stuff this time and I have not seen what it looks like. Im only doing this as an experiment. If have to change it out its a no go; the marble bed filters I use are maintenance free other than changing out the water for the wash system. This has a high flow pump that floods the marble bed as the gas flows thru it.

1 Like

Yeah you got to be careful. I used a 100 foot hose and filled the bags remotely. I had a splice in the line and simply would break the line and light remotely. This will take your hearing out and yes you would hear this miles away :slight_smile: In the night It reminded me of training exercises in the military with motor practice rounds going off. We had one land on the hood of our Humvee one time. The flash will temporarily blind you for a few minutes.

I would launch plastic bottles 100 ft in the air with hydrogen over water. Fill the bottle with about a 1/3 water and fill with hydrogen on top of the water. Eventually the bottle would become brittle from the heat and explode.

3 Likes

For me the sun gets in the way of seeing flame color. So I test my gas by the sound it makes when lighting.

4 Likes

Ha, thats amazing. Never thod of it but it makes sence now when l think of it.
Smell is my sence of choice.

4 Likes

Hi, All!
One way is to attempt lighting with a “long-arm” gas-lighter, without ANY GAS IN IT!

Just piezo-sparking!

Independent of sunlight or any light. That reveals the H2 content!

Max

3 Likes

Steve, I’ve tried to message you about the surplus Nomex Aramid filter socks, but must be doing something wrong. Anyway, I’ll mention here that I would be very interested in obtaining some of the material, if I can get the details. Thanks.

Steve Bowman

1 Like

@sbowman messages received + replied. You weren’t doing anything wrong. I just hadn’t logged back into DOW until this evening.

1 Like