Library / Carburetor Controller

thanks ill need some time to process the info,

1 Like

Not sure Im following you a 100% , but my mixer does just that. It will automatically adjust the mixture on its own. On a stationary system, bridging and grate flows are very predictable. I simply time the machines and adjust the timers in the code and it works quite reliable. I am however going to add two more sensor on all next generation systems. One will actually use a MAP sensor to detect the pressure of the gasifier. (So those looking for cheap inexpensive 5 Volt pressure sensor there you go, thats what a MAP sensor is) The second will be a temp probe at the restriction of the gasifier. This will just read the outside, I dont need to know core temps, I just need to see good operating temp.

So the pressure sensor will actuate the grate when needed and the temp probe will actuate the hopper agitator when needed. That could later control air intake input as well. But small steps for now.

1 Like

Hi, Rindert!
What you describe is the normal manual system; the sentence is correct if you omit the word “automixer”!

A mechanical automixer is not affected by an operator in any way.

It feels the underpressure in the arriving gasline and keeps the arriving airpressure at the same level.
This happens with a comparing membrane; one side is connected to the arriving gas-line, the other side is connected to the arriving air-line.
So the air-side is “self-regulating” itself with a membrane-driven flap in the airline to the same level as the arriving gasline.

Both “branches” go to their corresponding twin-flaps in the twin-throat carburetor-body.
50 : 50 volume mix is thus achieved. Both twin-flaps have the same geometry, exact!

There is a difference between manual and automatic adjustment!

Max

Chris has described how to build it, and Bob has managed it further.

3 Likes

Vladislav, nice auto-mixer!! I like it.

Words/characters like “укажем компилятору частоту ЦПУ” are rem statements (comments) and are not code?

Looks like this chip is compatible with Linux ! ! !

https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATtiny13A

What is the purpose of the tin foil and extended exaust?

Thank you sir!

3 Likes

Yes, this is a comment.

no, it’s a small and cheap chip, a microcontroller

The oxygen sensor works correctly at temperatures above 300*С. Here it is heat-insulated with mineral wool and protected from moisture by aluminum foil.

6 Likes

Right. @Bobmac described something that allowed him to bias the mixture rich or lean. I then called that something a bypass. There may be a better name out for it out there.

Hi, Rindert!
He added switchable parallel air intakes in order to be able to add gasoline for extra “hill climbing” att top speed.

That has nothing to do with the fundamental gas-mixer, or its
functionality.

You should read descriptions thoroughly and not stumble at first glance whimsy impressions!

Max

1 Like

Hi, Rindert!

There is an additional point!

Electronical exhaust sensing has nothing to go by before the motor has started and started to PRODUCE EXHAUST!

The mechanical twin-throat flaps at idle position deliver the 50:50 mix right away at cranking!
That makes the motor start by the first sucking (and compressing)!

Max

3 Likes

Still the same old Max. As they say ‘de rigueur’? Okay.

I’m still not entirely sure how @Bobmac’s setup works. But this is what he said. [Spiral Path Heat Exchangers Feb. 18, 2018 #80]
Hi Rindert, the muscle wire springs, using voltage , current limiting resistor, and potentiometer is cool. On mine I let the auto mixer do it’s thing of balancing the mixer 1:1 ratio. I added 3/4" air valve and piping into the mixing bowl down stream after the ford throttle body and just before going into the Dodge Dakota trucks throttle body. I can open the 3/4" valve from the cab and add air to lean the wood gas mixer out if needed which is like changing the bias on the auto mixer. It seems that it likes to run a little rich with no extra air added.
Bob

2 Likes

Hi, Rindert!
Indeed, that was also done! Separately.
In the air-side sample-hose to the membrane another vacuum leaning
by hose from the driver seat.
I just forgot it and remembered the gasoline extra air system.
So both ways were investigated. Perhaps Bob describes the setup of today…
Max

1 Like

That could be solved.

2 Likes

Actually it does, it will read with out combustion and correct after combustion.

4 Likes

matt what do you mean when you say the O2 senser will read with out combustion. do you mean it will read the CO in the line from gasifier and if so can it read the mixture going into the engines after mixing or would it require a different kind of senser you know 50:50 mix. 30:70 mix so on. there must be some kind of senser that can read it?

2 Likes

To be honest I dont actually know. However, when I manually start an engine I use the DRO as an aid to tune the mixture while starting. It is much more sensitive and the mixture tends be a bit richer when starting. Then after it fires the read out will lean out and then I have to back the mixer just slightly richer.

2 Likes

Hi,Matt!

“To be honest I dont actually know. However, when I manually start an engine I use the DRO as an aid to tune the mixture while starting. It is much more sensitive and the mixture tends be a bit richer when starting. Then after it fires the read out will lean out and then I have to back the mixer just slightly richer.”

“It is much more sensitive…” than what ?

What is a DRO ?

Twin flaps in twin throats with mechanically equal (mini)openings
give equal flows at full cranking vacuum!

That starting position cannot be beaten to give instantly

50 : 50 mixture!

Max

3 Likes

Hi Max,

DRO stands for digital read out, When it reads the raw fuel mixture I should say its actually a bit slower. Anytime you make an adjustment it takes a few seconds for it to reflect in the read out. I can make the controller open to any position at start up or simply manually open the valve from controller.

3 Likes

you are on your way to making a auto controler but what do you mean it says a little slower. i am not exactly sure what you are saying does it read more O2 or what

1 Like

matt as we were talking earlier the knock seser is what controls the ecm and it adjust the timing every time it detects a png from the engine it trys to stop it by reducing the timing 2 degrees if it detects another ping it reduces it another 2 degrees until the ping stops if the knock seser is broke it will keep reducing the timing until it will not run right then it goes into open curcuit and go to a no fault . this is for GMS i was looking on the GM site and asked there techs about it and that is what i was told I drive GMS got 3 of them so they give me a lot of help. That is why i have driven them for 10 years now both comercaly and private I am not sure about other makes

2 Likes

Yes this is true but something is wrong if it is detecting a knock and it will through a code. This is a back up system and is retarding the timing too keep from blowing holes in your piston tops. This is not what control your timing curve, this the map sensors job not the knock sensor.

If you ever have a check engine light, the ECM moves into an open loop mode. In this mode it will then use the Knock sensor as the means for timing adjustment. This is why is says (service engine soon!! ) as if you keep driving in this mode you can ruin your engine.

1 Like

The sensor still detects the raw mixture, I dont know fully or understand it enough to comment. All I know is it will read the raw fuel mixture. It is slower to respond verses when the engine is running as it is instant when running.

1 Like