Life goes on - Winter 2015

Went too a swap meet today and picked up some more old snowmobiles. The fellow we got them from gave my son a free air Kohler to rebuild for his John deere spit fire… the correct engine for it. Pretty good day.

4 Likes

Hey guys, I need info, what is the measurement on those 30gal barrel lids? I hope I have the size right, it’s the smaller ones! They may be 25gal I don’t know!
I’m thinking about replacing my lid but I don’t have one to measure, my opening is 15&5/8 on the outside and 15&3/8 on Inside! I’m wondering if one of those lids would cover that size opening? I did make a couple calls off Craigslist and found out they may be hard to get! If someone could give me that measurement I would appreciate it! Thanks

Hello Herb.

I measured a lid and it was 14-5/8 from outside lip to outside lip.

The inter section ridge that fit down in the barrel measured 13-3/4

1 Like

Thanks a lot Wayne! Very kind of you!! Herb H

1 Like

We like alternative fuel right??

3 Likes

But will it start on coke?

This video didn’t work out but the audio is OK

1 Like

Nice trail road, i like them kind of country roads, I may have too go lighten my load in case i loose a tire too a rattle snake pond.last time i lost a wheel and tire i had my car hauler loaded with cement block and the metal sideing too put on my barn,hard too tell the weight unless one has hauled block before.That was my first time moveing block 65 miles,made it about 35 miles at around 45 MPH,lucky it was in a big ditch away from homes and cars were’nt any stoped in proxemity of the hill it rolled off on.SWEM HAD i been driveing on wood i would have taken a back country road.

Sounds like I might have finally come across a line on some solid 55 gallon lidded barrels! I over-heard a local saying he had a bunch that he was getting rid of after giving up on WVO for his bus. He said he was better off doing artwork and selling that for cash to buy pump diesel than he was making it himself.

2 Likes

Well, that wasn’t really worth it… WVO guy had said he had “several barrels, including lidded ones, for a couple bucks”.

After a few hours of vague phone tag, I get to his place to find out he’s got 2 barrels and they aren’t ready to go. One open-ended with a matching lid (no seal gasket) and a rusted bolt through the ring lock, and a damaged closed-ended still 1/3 full of veggie oil/rainwater sludge.

Another 45 minutes jury-rigging his mish-mashed 12v pumps together to get the sludge out of the closed-ended drum and into buckets.

Also, he was now asking 10$ each for them. Considering they’re no worse than what I got, and I didn’t want to walk away from all that BS empty handed, I have him 10$ for the pair and a cheap “barrel dolly” (platform with wheels).

Happy thanksgiving (Canadian) everybody

5 Likes

Happy thanksgiving Arvid .

Will it be OK for me to celebrate your thanksgiving this week and then ours next month :innocent:

2 Likes

Absolutely… any reason to have turkey is good by me…

I actually had turkey today, but that was totally random: “we’ve been eating a lot of beef/pork lately. We should have some bird. There’s some ground turkey that we could turn into meatballs.”

Happy thanksgiving Arvid

Congratulation. You have Thanks Giving and we have Columbus Day. They sound related. Now some people are insisting we call it “indiduous people cay”. ( Ha! My spell correction didn’t even know how to spell indiduous> )

The Oatmeal, a comic who is known for being a bit over the top at times, wrote about his distaste for Columbus day http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day

2 Likes

a damaged closed-ended still 1/3 full of veggie oil/rainwater sludge.

So I was an idiot for trusting a complete idiot. WVO Dude said that the barrel just had “some residual unprocessed veggie/canola oil, but mostly just rainwater” in it. I thought to myself “What’s a little bit of canola oil and rainwater going to hurt?” and proceeded to turn the drum upside down in the bushes next to my shop. What came out of the drum was very obviously NOT “rainwater with a bit of residual canola oil”. A quick sniff of the liquid and confirming Google search and I realized that I had just dumped a few gallons of mostly agricultural petroleum diesel (and some rainwater) all over the ground on my land.

I was livid but didn’t have much I could do about it. I had already deleted moron’s number and text-log from my phone, and even if I found my way back to his aunt and uncles place, the best I’d get out of him would be a “Whoa… Really? That… really kinda… sucks… you know, man? Did you save the diesel? Could I have it back? That would totally rock my bus for a while.”

Hey BrianHWA don’t sweat this all that much.
Below the two family agricultural on stand fuel(s) tanks been more than a few spills/overfills.
From your posts this was not much more than a gallon or so of Dino with lots of rain water.
Take a few years and then things will grow back. Gasoline seem to be worse than the diesel.
Beyond the scare tactic of, “It only take a teaspoon of diesel to contaminate 10,000 of potable water!!” the reality in actual soil the petro will coat the individual soil particles, sit in stasis and then, air, microbe, and time degrade.

Run into this in the future soak it up with set aside clothing rags. Let those air out some and then when enough rags added to no longer drip out solid waste discard into the for sure picked up garbage. You now a new age, green-responsible.
Here in Washington state all of the current land fills are clay and membrane lined to hold in status for at least 500 years. You have just “sequestered” those dirty, nasty bad dino hydrocarbons back into the ground where they came from.
IF you were hot, dry Washington east side then air dry out the rags and forces air clean burn them. This way will put the H’s and C’s into directly back into the atmosphere (where these simple elements originally came from) but now you not new-age green - just a 'gitter done Practical Responsible. Those atmos H’s and C’s will help more real Green bio-mass to grow.

Ha! Ha! Of course both of these ways are technically WA state and EPA Fed illegal. YOU Supposed to declare, register these cross contaminated hazards, Have then double container collected, serialized and chain-of-custody tracked back to a monitored hazardous waste disposal (where they burn) storage (were they bury) site.
Last cost I had on this 8 years ago was then $10.00 USD a gallon.
Ha! Lots of well paying career jobs with full benefits depending on you doing this the “legal” way.
Good example of how good intentions can make such complex, expensive systems that even responsible folk cannot afford to play their make their own jobs, with full befits and full retirements, send their own kid to a four year collage make-work games.

When the head/moral/good-intention gamers make it impossible to comply; call you the Sinner: only-able-to-be-saved-by-Them . . . . then OPT-OUT.
And Mumms the word then on.
S.U.

3 Likes