Life goes on - Winter 2020

Thanks the farm these pigs came from had them on pasture before I got them. I thought I was just putting in some bedding for them so they didn’t have to sleep on a cement floor.
I have seen a dog have the same problems you mentioned but so far these pigs haven’t had any troubles like that.

1 Like

Well that was interesting.
Grid power flickered in and out then out for 20 minutes.
All O.K. We’d finished breakfast. It is light outside. The woodstove over working it heart out.

Wife just took out her new Christmas jig-saw puzzle.
Then the power came back on. A clean re-power up.
Then watching the living room satellite base, TV, DVR and old VCR seeing power self-check re-power back up.
The kitchen array was all working in-power when this happened. So their own re-power self-checks.
Some after self-checks and re-loading, going back to live use. Or, off-use stand-by. Ha! Some not in use by soft switched in standby then turning on live.
In the old days it would have been running around to manually mechanical switch everything off. or unplug for re-power up starting up safety.
Now uses evolved equipment’s. ANG the power grids added over-voltages localized surge protectors it is just, sit ,wait, and watch.
Lap tops and tablets are self-isolated safe. The old desk tops it was fuss if the IPS was still working, charged and functionable.

Two days of 1/10 inch an hour steady raining has us in localized puddles flooding now.
Time of day says someone in a hurry tried to bash trough one of these over-the-roads flood-puddles; lost it and wiped out a grid power pole.

This new satellite internet system has proven to be self-starting durable too.

Important factors when I have developed for woodgas home generating using pure direct hopper-out; gasification weakens; engine-generator slows, and stops management.
This can be done.
I am set up to do this.
Regards, Oh-yes . . . know-it-all, smarty-pants, who ditches out all weak sisters
Steve unruh

3 Likes

Well, that is interesting. What did you do? Had breakfast, it is light, wood is burning. Did you start your generator or enjoyed the silence?

1 Like

Enjoy.
Even if dark. Turn on the four now florescent rechargeable batteries lanterns. Finish out the day. Go to bed.
Not worth even firing up the gasoline inverter generators for less than a 12 hours grid-out.
Occurrence before breakfast, almost always need to run at least one generator. For the girls after showering electric hair dryers. Me watching satellite news for indications of why, how long, without Grid.
2-3 day out; like common in the past decades; then only worth the effort to go to woodgas. By 5-7 day be woodgasing for certain. Be down 8-10 gallons of gasoline by then.

Yesterday the wife had me out at a regional GoodWill thrift store. Two new books for me. Hurrah! And color-tag half-off day on the clothing. I bought two more mens all wood extra-large sized sports jackets. $3.50 usd each.
For asked for, woodgasifers systems visits. I then pull out and ditch any found foam filters. Layer in the loose wool fabric. Here. Use this. A Gary Gilmore gift inspiration. Better results. Organic. Washable.

Practice today, for tomorrow.
S.U.

4 Likes

Steve; If you are going to be out practicing to day for tomorrow, could you please take some pictures of your set-up? (generators/ woodgas generators etc.) I have known for years that you are set-up to switch over to generating your own electricity when the power company fails you, but have never seen what you have. TomC

1 Like

Good Morning TomC, I have for years put up my own owned systems.
Remember the DOW-drupal? I had seven pages of pictures there. 7x8 pictures if I remember, right? Theses are some where. I have some PC skills but with limits.
I will again pull forward and re-post here what I can dig out:

My actually gasifer as given to me by Ben Peterson for all of the shop help work I’d done 2009-10. Pictured on my own property next the the better of the 'Ol Red Fords. It is the original Victory model developers hearth in it’s last bio-char making set up. Was requested set-up system to be sold. The buyer turned; out had no money. I do not bio-char. I do have the nice added centered up jet lower; the auger out feeder; and hot air-tight catch can. All lusciously SS adaptable to what I do; do. Chunked woods.
The hopper as I got it is plain Jane simple non-monorating. I am still looking for the produced gas chip bin dryer with lower sweeper settlement. Dry, dry the wood and put in dry&warmed j-i-t then no need to monorate.
In this picture set is my own bought owned Rediline motor-generators. Battery banked 12VDC → 120VAC. Also my own bought owned Canadian ordinal 2.5 kW Trace 12vdc → 120VAC inverter.
The red B&S 5500 watt red gen-set was the Vancouver Victory gasworks shop. The different build up and tried removed carburetor gas/air mixers mine. I still have all of these. And more.
Still searching for other pictures.

explanations in the text.

my one excellent been used much suction blower fan. And I have 10 can be made up 20% duty cycle motor and turbine wheels. Picture IN MY HOUSE. My hearth guts on post #14. Pictured in my shop building by the J.D-Yanmar. Post #26 by Brit has my actually owned hearth center in an earlier used set up.

Not my pictures sets. These are JasonMcB’s. The last showing the hot-gas-to-water(heating) tower I’d tried to describe on an recent topic. I put a lot of engine running time on the prototype system for this one. Jason of course got a new production unit.

Still looking for the chip bin dryer gas cooler gas sweeping settlement assembly picture.
I did just recently put it up too.
Imgur
Mine is the original two generations earlier saved from the scraping to keep it features confidential.

My point have become in these last four years; is that ANY Real gasifer Operator can make nearly any combinations of system components work good’nuff. Ever come a real need.
What to endlessly pursue is the operators skills. Not hardware solutions.

Now here is the deal. Jahee and JoepK. just put up today that they’d both had engine-generators stolen from them.
I live at the edge of a six hundred household Rural town (village). Now up to 100 true rural household living on three dead end roads past us. The only gasoline, the only store, the bank, the school, the post office are in this town. lot’o driving, walking, bicycling past our house now.
Our old house is set road close, the old way. Our out buildings from the road visible, behind.
Any gas can will get stolen.
Any visible chainsaw will get stolen.
Any known generator set, two man-packable; will get stolen.
A bright and shiny metals, anything, will get stolen. Meth addictions. Opiates addictions. Indian gambling addictions are terrible, terrible diseases.
We community have all three. Just do not give them reason. Then all is quiet and peaceful.
So my gasifier system is disassemble pieces spread-out across three-four buildings. Just like my tool boxes and tools. Get one piece maybe past the locked gates and fences. Past the barking dogs, maybe. You cannot even find to see to get enough to put me incapable.
So I am tiring of this “show-me” “you must” no matter how politely phrased.
Especially when I have been for years. Again. And again. And again.

I only get asked to see, and experience other folks systems because I have established I DO NOT Take pictures. I do not blab talk. About their systems. Where they live. Their chosen lifestyles.
And these are the folks important to me.
They Wood, because they can.
They Wood, because they must.
They Wood, because they aint got any other way.

J-I-C Steve Unruh

3 Likes

It was 80 f . I turned down thermostat for pump . Temperature fell to 75 f . I am told it is too cold the pipes are not warm . Propane heat is set to 72 F . We do not touch that , we get heat when we get heat . I heat with wood heat is expected all the time .

1 Like

Some, but not all of my generators:

This was my bought new electronic fuel injected Kohler V-twin engine on the Miller 12kW welder-generator.
I was comparing against my older gasoline carbureted Kohler V-twin off of my sawmill.
In this topic stream on my posts are some of my rider lawnmower engine rigs. A photo show of ALL of my walk behind mowers, engines. Scroll if you doubt.
What not to doubt is with the alternators, regulators, wiring harness off the the six vehicles on the place I could whip up a 12VDC charging station on woodgas in a week.
And with the batteries out of four of them have a useable battery bank.
Now recall those Rediline motor-generators. And that Trace 2.5 kW inverter. Independent suppling load circuits.

And STILL never have touched the JD-Yanmar diesel tractor. The w.c. 7.5hp JangDong little diesel. The I still retained 10kW 1800 RPM brushless Mecc Alte gen head.

What I have never pictured; and never will, is the 1600 watt suitcase Honda and the 2800watt Yamaha inverter-generators.
Sheez. With these. And downed in-vehicle gasolines I’d have daily useable power for at least 60 days. And never touch a gasifer for fuel needs. Plenty of time to reassemble and settle, and run back-in.
I do not just say triple level redundancy. I live it.

Once a fellow pulls his head out of his ass, it just becomes so simple.
The Kohler-Miller was for powering one of the Towns deep well water systems. Our water now. Town said we had no choice. O.K. Steve go with it. Flow with it . . . . took me ten years of mad but finally I did.

Well SteveU. Took a while but I read all the links in your post. I could have been involved in all of that if I had been born with an attention span. “Regrets, I’ve had a few” I think Frank Sinatra said that.

1 Like

Yeah. The opposite side of it TomH.
What I put up was just a sniff of from early 2012 to present on the DOW.
Then four years before that on other forums.
I get very tired now. Just want to close eyes and dream away most days, most of the time.
Hi-time for some of the youngers to really start pulling the boat tru the thick muds of dis-interest. Stadium sports Rah-Rahs buy-offs. And time wasting’s Futurist Believers grand-standings.

1 Like

I’m pretty much the opposite of that Steve. I know it’s got to be a mental defect but even at this advanced age I still lay in bed and night thinking of what I can build next. I have three projects going at all times. I don’t post about everything because I don’t want it to seem that I’m that obnoxious new guy. Probably not the case I realize but still something I think about. Still I understand that your 20 or so years of being focused on one thing and trying to help others on the path can get old. I have spent the last ten year focuses on food production and right now I’m having trouble even getting my greenhouse planted. Too many other things are more interesting at the present. I’ve never lost interest in cars and trucks though. My main regret is that I never really had the opportunity to mess with nitrous and turbos. That would have been fun.

Tom, nitrous for engines is like amphetamines’ overages. Hot, fast and short burn-out, to all used up.

Now turbo’s are more like cocaine. Overdo . . . and with the over-pressure, over-heat sooner versus later, wearing out.
Turboing done best practices, however is like the original Indian way of raw leaf chew with a small lime stone rock to get you through.

Engine exhaust driven turbos ARE engine oil cookers. True. Search it up.
Now best practices done like the first Saab99’s and 900’s, the low pressure Volvo systems. the evolved later Chrysler StageIII factory systems I’ve had to repair and maintain. Then turboing gasoline can be quite nice. And still get +200K miles service lives.
These with water cooling of the turbo bearing center housing. Added oil coolers, and increased system oil capacity. Increased engine oil pumping volume. That used for added under piston oil cooling spraying. And worn in service, later for-sure turbo oil supply. And PCM turbo controls. Fuel, spark timing and the turbo systems.

So learn the PCM system modifying first. Commit to the very best now available synthetic engine oils. Pre-train your self to do idling cool-off before shutting down (old hard worked horses and hard worked diesels) and then no more coolant and oil flows.
The new factory turbo systems adding timed electric driven pumps to coolant flow and oil flows cool those turbo after engine shut down.

Fella’ has to be constantly reading, studying to keep up. Listening and watching.
Todays new put in service will be your tomorrows got used affordable.
S.U.

1 Like

That sounds bad, very bad. We live in a 400 village in some corner of a polder. Boat/pont stops at 12 during the week, 1.00 in the weekend. If you fall dead after that hour you wont be found until morning. But is I forget to get my keys out of the car, I wont get them until I need them. Therrible if someone takes your stuff.
And you don’t have to show me anything, it is up to me now to start DOING. Yahee started, but might have to read again for the path he is going to follow.

One story here happened, buying apples from the local farmer. His son ran into the store, they are steeling apples, they are stealing apples, he shouted. I wanted to put some oil on the fire, yes Jan! And now? And now? What are you going to do? Jan, the farmer stayed relaxed and just said, the one that steales, is a thief. (point) That was all. I refer a lot to this situation. It gives you some rest. At least me, if something happens. Hope I helped you some.

And for wood and me.
Wood, because I want. I don’t have to and another way is much much easier.

1 Like

I did read and understand JoepK.
My wife and I do not live in fear. We are original family here. Somewhat well known.
We only make ourselves unattractive in comparison to some of our oblivious new neighbors. Opening, and leaving opened up, thier garages and shops and showing off all their possessions and wealth.
Old families here with a problem youth and it is walk up to their place. Talk to the Papa, or senior Mother, and they would within their family handle it.
New moved here . . .the majority now; and it is unfortunately call the police.
We are like J.O. says. Two patrol policemen for a large area.
So to NOT have the problem occur is the best solution.

And the locked gates were because my father-in-law with still old ways had his cold warming up pickup truck stolen. It showed up 7 day later two states away. With missing spare tire/jack and tools. Sold for cash.
A walk away State minimum security prisoner looking for a ride out of the valley.
In the US you will know you are far out in your state if that is were the state prisons are.
And later the locked gate are so no one visiting, or a delivery man, will let one of our dogs out onto the busy street. We’ve had three car hit. Surgeries and one death.

You are the category of person who Woods-for-shaft -power because they are inner driven to it.
Like a spawning fish. A migrating whale.
To not DO; and strive, hurts inwardly, eh.
Or if you like this better: a shark must swim forward always to be alive.
Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Hello TomH,
I was piles digging for books promised to send off.
And there was my 1997 copy of Corky Bells “Maximum Boost” Reading such actually helped me at the time with OEM systems to have a broad conditions-needs-met, broader base knowledge.
A very, very good book.
PM me a mailing address and it it yours.
I am already sending reference text books out two ways.
Ha! One of my Christmas gift to my wife . . . .reduce my books piles. And that, as she knows, takes real love.
S.U.

3 Likes

Always like a good book Steve. I appreciate it. Pretty sure my “Boost” days are over. Only ever had one supercharger to play with and it wasn’t even mine. Weiands 6-71 a friend wasn’t using at the time. I had it on a 1972 350 Nova. Wasn’t overwhelmed by the difference it made over just a pair of quads. Certainly not worth the money it took to buy one, but I didn’t really know how to tune for it. They look impressive sticking out of a hood but also have to overcome the HP they drag out of an engine. Address is Tom Holton. 10395 S. Cedar Rd. Cedar, MI. 49621. No reason to hide an address. Anybody can be found with a few clicks. I will want to return your shipping charges.

2 Likes

On the way TomH.
“Media Rate” $3.33 usd. By covered wagon I expect. Should be 3-6 weeks. I put a note in for a return categories, maybe, book request.
Don’t like it, want it? Forward it on to some young’en, with turbo-mania fever.
S.U.

2 Likes

Stopped in to wish everybody a Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

I am on a chemo break and feeling great. The best I’ve felt in about three years.

No gas stuff to report. Just too many things get in the way. I think in the very near future there will be some progress. Just not much . . . :rofl:

God bless.

11 Likes

Hello Jeff

Merry Christmas to you . Glad you are feeling Ok .

You are in our prayers .

Thanks Wayne

8 Likes

Good to hear from you, Jeff. Glad you are having a good day. Merry Christmas.

5 Likes