Looking for Mentor, brand new to this site/board

Hi GaryT.
Yes I have heard that we far-left PNW coast called webfooters, mushrooms, and “exceptional” - meaning minor, and obscure.
Not really.
All of the current ocean rising literature actually says hundreds and hundreds of millions do world wide live in and along always humid coasts.
Pacific Northwest it changes dramatically from ocean humidity on-flows and the north-south 3-4 parallel mountains chains in 20-50 mile wide north-south bands.
So . . . . a central and eastern Washington state study just 90-150 miles away from me is the same as your central continent. There it takes 400-800 miles, even 1200 miles north-south to experience as wide of humidity and sunlight changes.

So IF I lived just 90 miles east with then a flip-flopped to 250 days a year of sunshine I would be big on PV solar. Big on in-ground earth sheltering. Big on straw-bale walls.
Ha! No, to little, only a few very slow growth trees then I’d not have the trees to be able to squander for woodgasing. Use the available dirt/rocks, straw chaffs and 250+ days a year of sunlight.
Nope.
Only less than 100 days of PV/passive-gain sunlight here. And trees, brushes that grows like weeds loving the wet, wet. You hack and burn to get cleared spaces here. The only plains/prairies here were Indian annual burnt cleared areas. Now “modern” no-burn needs annual hack/mow/cut to keep these cleared. I can lose a forest trail in just one year. I work to find ways to reasonable use my cut backs woody generated every year. Stack and forget and then have piles burn to keep from ground area covering with blackberry entangled hazards. Big-Dino chipped and area blown is popular now. For as long as Big-Dino power will be available.
Only 50 mike west from me along the actual salty-water coasts it is even less sunlight yet. More rains and the nightly ocean effects mists.
Ha! They do have daily winds though. Flattening windstorms every 2nd, 3rd year too. DIY wind users have to put as much thought and design in a tilt-down-flat to save as in cutting edge efficiency harvesting. Or lose it all in three years. Blade feathering will not save you from 115 mile an hour Pacific storm fronts.
Virginia/Kentucky experienced Lewis and Clark wintering over on the Astoria coast almost died out there. Dumb-dumb’s. Should come back inland a bit winter over with the inland tribes at the Willamette and Columbia rivers junction. A between mountains rain-shadow pocket. Portland Or./Vancouver WA.

Use what you got.
Use what Ma’Nature gave you.
And Ma’Nature does give something usable to all.
But certainly not the same.
So our easily usable solutions will be different. To best handle our widely different actual climate driven needs.
S.U.

7 Likes