Making Torrefied Wood

Thanks to sean and wallace for the coke making videos.
i use coal coke when I do forge welding and have still got about a ton of the “4 X 6” size that I break up as needed.

Change of subject, a bit:
Back to charcoal- Somebody asked how charcoal was made in “the old days”. I don’t know how “old” 1960 is, but here is a pretty good look from the US forest service on how it was done back then, and earlier:

Back in the mid 1970’s this booklet was free, on the bookstand at most Ag extension offices in Wisconsin.

Pete Stanaitis

4 Likes

The most economical way to produce roasted wood is the use of a bread oven, after drying the wood, you cooked your meal.

4 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

sécheur bois

3 Likes

Site appears down for maintenance.

1 Like

The charcoal making pdf worked for me just now. is that the site that you found to be down for maintenance?

I see that whole link address wasn’t posted by this forum’s system, but it did work anyway. I just tried to repost the complete link but I got a message saying the i already posted it.

1 Like

It seems to be OK, now, Pete, thanks.

1 Like

https://freightlinerads.azureedge.net/3642-new_cascadia_natural_gas_sell_-2018-08-13.pdf

I was thinking of possibility of running truck on torrefied pellets

2 Likes

How do you plan to make your “torrefied pellets”? Any plan yet? TomC

1 Like

I think there was a commercially wood gasifier for cars in England during WW2 that only used one fuel, wood cubes all from the same wood cut to the same size , I am not sure if they were polished or had tax stamps on each one .

I was only thinking of using Blackwood technology black pellets and they would have to only provide pellets of a specific size . for the Freightliner

Blackwood said their enterprise would fail if they continued to be the only company to produce these pellets . In order for their pellets to succeed they would have to have universal availability .

2 Likes

What is the energy density of the torreified pellets? The son of a friend of mine says that semi tractors that run on CNG have pretty short ranges already. I thought he said something under 100 miles between fuel stops. So he went on to say that CNG fueled trucks are only good for local deliveries. By the way, I haven’t seen any LNG pumps at gas stations in our area, but I do see a few CNG setups.
My point: If CNG makes for local use only, then pellets or even charcoal would limit range even more.

***I did look at the Freightliner link. I note that they said:
“Cleanest engine available when using renewable
natural gas to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG)
emissions”
I didn’t know that natural gas was a “renewable” energy source.
Dumb Me.

Pete Stanaitis

4 Likes

They are selling it , I am not sure it exist .
There are processes that are applicable to making it .Most are experimental .

2 Likes

I would suggest a rotating kiln for torrefaction. But it would be nice to have a purpose for the excess energy produced- space heating seems a good fit. Graded wood chips, or pellets.

2 Likes

I think the green reference is related to the hydrogen content. Natural gas comes out ahead of all alternatives when analyzed this way for bang for buck, and emissions.

Anyways, a highly engineered CNG engine of that scale and robustness will definitely be a boon for syngas.

Also, regarding limited range on CNG, no doubt true due to the nature of the fuel. But wood is more energy dense, so will compare favourably.

2 Likes

This mobile roasting model of small capacity is a good compromise.

4 Likes

blackwood said to contact them regarding specifics about their black pellets tortified pellets . They have not posted any news in two years . So they may no longer be in operation . These pellets were meant to be co fired with coal . Or that was the market they were looking to . The UK bought a huge amount of wood pellets to burn with coal to meet emission standards . I think this practice has stopped . Now they are adding scrubbed sewer gas to natural gas and calling it , Renewable natural gas .

3 Likes

So you would have a Truck driver and a Fireman , Like on a steam locomotive you would have the Engineer running the train and the Fireman shoveling coal into fire box .

2 Likes

Even the last generation steam locomotives had mechanical stokers.

1 Like

My fuel level switch keeps getting stuck , breaking off the left hand metric screw on auger motor , meaning I have to turn auger by hand with 3/8 ratchet . Kind of hard to do that driving down the road at 65 mph .

1 Like