Mazda B2000 Attempt, or Cody's Wackadoodle Builds

If you are using 2 inch ID conduit I remember someone that used a 2-5/16 ball hitch to make a bell connection.

5 Likes

How did they manage to do that? With a mallet or something?

It looks like I’ll have to use a ball hitch. The steel must be too thick for the expander die, it broke without even so much as a stretch of the tubing.

Personal experience the hazard frought pipe expander will break if you do anything with them they are crap. A local exhaust shop will bump a pipe for you usually for free

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve been buying less and less from the Horror Fright

1 Like

A lot of HF stuff has been a getting better and better but some stuff has been crap from the gitgo

2 Likes

I’m just trying to figure out how a guy used a ball hitch to expand the pipe enough for a slip fit or if he just flared for a lap weld

1 Like

here are a couple of options:

5 Likes

Not bashing those videos the are great information for the do it yourselfer, but it sure makes me miss working in a exhaust shop :rofl: so so soooo much faster and easier! I have used these tricks myself in a pinch but the right tools for the job is amazing when you have it!

2 Likes

Before I’d go to all that hassle I’d just weld a sleeve on one pipe.

It’s really thin stuff and my welders like to blow holes in them. If I had an actual shielded gas welder I could dial it in but I’m only working with High and Low amp setting right now in my flux core welder.

I’m going to check out the auto parts stores and see if they have any female-female exhaust couplers that will fit the conduit pipe. Maybe I’ll get lucky and only need to silicone those in place.
The Ultra Red I bought held up on the nozzles amazingly, I thought for sure with as hot as it got on that run that they would have failed but it’s some good stuff.

1 Like

Butt joint maybe but I’ve even welded exhaust tubing with a stick welder. It’s not structural. Just quick in and out, cool a second and repeat. Of course I’m not just another pretty face.

3 Likes

What about oxy/ act and baling wire or coat hanger???

2 Likes

I don’t own an oxy torch. I’m still crappy with stick welding, and it’s a cheap one that isn’t very sensitive on the amps. If I had a better paying job I’d take the time to practice on my stick welding.

Since I’m using one of the flutes for an updraft I might reserve the other one for a cross draft flute. A flat plane of nozzles would probably make cleaner gas in a cross draft mode. I’d still make it semi diagonal in direction.
Just another idea to tinker with.

Progress report on the flutes. Even though they got ridiculously hot glowing again it appears that they didn’t suffer from any burning away.

3 Likes

If you want to slip one pipe inside another and they are both the same dia there is a great way to do it and it shouldn’t cost you much and the chances are you wont need to weld the joints .
Pipe one heat it up pipe number 2 stick the end you wanna put into pipe one into a small bucket of dry ice , That can be bought at most gas /welding supply shops here in Aus , the pipe will shrink very easily and should slip inside the heated pipe with no problems .
Dave

2 Likes

Luckily I found some exhaust slip fittings that I can silicone and clamp down. A 2-1/4" ID sized coupler will fit 2" conduit pipe.

Got the flute welded to the new barrel. I’m still going to silicone up my welds. I never trust the porous nature of flux core.

Barrel is upside down at the moment.
Also I drilled out the holes to 1/2" size and added two more.