Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Yes l was thinking to double them. They are about 0.6mmthick.
My question reffered more to the diameter. I have 0 experiances with augers. It needs to be big enough to push the char all the way to the top of the hopper at refills, yet small enough for a cordless dril to handle.

2 Likes

It will depend on the auger pitch. There will have to be a balance between the qualities of the material being moved and the pitch and diameter. Also to be able to fit it into some standard sized pipe or tubing. Given that the charcoal will have a fair resistance to movement, a shorter pitch is probably better, which will simplify. I would probably work with light cardboard to figure out diameter of hole needed to fit shaft, pitch, and approximate outside diameter of flights. The assembled auger could be spun between centers and ground to fit a certain size conduit.

If additional torque is needed for a larger auger an old drill or angle grinder gear train could be adapted.

2 Likes

I just realised l havent yet posted a skiz of what l plan to do

The wiew from the back. Gasifier entrande on the left, refll lid on right.

Side wiew from the left. Gasifier on the bottom right.

2 Likes

Garry, as you can see the auger is not in a pipe but on the bottom of the long narrow hopper. In adition to feeding the gasifier its job is to move the char to the left and pile it to the top. This is what worryes me. Will it do this?

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan, is the filling hatch cover on the side of the hopper? If so why Can’t it be on the top of the hopper and in the middle so when filling the char will flow into the hatch opening both ways?
Bob

1 Like

You can find a mathematical method to help with design. search: [spiral handrail radius]

1 Like

Possibility for augur motor. search: [bbq rotisserie motor 12V]

For an open auger I think it’s much less challenging, less friction.

I would guess the open auger will work as you plan, but I’m also inexperienced in that form of use, and a bit unclear on the intended effect.

1 Like

This is what I use:

9 Likes

This might work better for what you want the anger to do, it can build a pile on top of the charcoal to the opposit top side from the hatch opening.

Bob

4 Likes

I would recommend making it removeable and using a shear pin. I thought I found something online that let you design an auger, then print it off so you had a pattern for the flight sections.

2 Likes

Bob, the filling hach has got to be on the side unfortunaly. The hopper will be situated paralell to the rear seats, 90° to the gasifier unite. Look post 400 on this site.

Sean, good idea on changable augers!

I started poking the project some today. Not much but its a start…

Thick wall ss nozzles. Some prepared to fit the corners.

From the top, restriction ring

Bottom, grate. The angle irons are too big, l will add smaller ones. Note the rail.

5 Likes

I like the thick SS nozzles. Are you making the grate angle irons so they can grind any slag when you shake and slide it back and forth hard?
Okay I see why the fill is where it is.
Bob

2 Likes

On an updraft system the slag is usually above the nozzles. Where do you think the slag will form in downdraft mode? Will it clog the grate?

2 Likes

I’m glad you posted a picture of your auger Don. Didn’t you come up with this because you regular flighted auger got hung up with the charcoal? I think I remember you having a bulb planter?

2 Likes

Are those metal press punch buttons?

Good idea…

2 Likes

Bob, yes, the grate sits on a rail left and right, moveable back and forward.

Don, l hope to hit the sweetspot in charcoal/water ratio, maybee even fine tune it with a bit of EGR, so that no slag is produced. On my last build l didnt had actual slag (fully melted “glass”) but more like sort, cookie like crambly lumps. I hope these lumps travel down with the char and gets crushes with the grate. The idea is on every hoper or so, the volume of char in the fire tube is replaced/sliped.

Is this the cleanout auger you have on your Tracker?

Garry, no, l just drilled 9mm holes in 4 cm sections of a 1" staines steel rod. It took a good quality drill and quite some time…

Any tips on using cheramic wool?

4 Likes

I can you 1 tip on using ceramic fiber sheet , i bought some for a pizza oven i was going to make , and the warning i got from the box was " do not inhale always use a respirator when handling the Kwool , apparently the fibers are microscopic and will get in your lungs .
If postage wasn’t so expensive here in Australia i would send you some over , we had a massive 5 meter square oven come in the scrap yard and it is lined fully in the stuff .

Dave

3 Likes

Woops i just realised its only about 3 meters square . mind you still a size though .

2 Likes

Thanks Dave, l realy apriciate it! Lickly l fount a company in our closest city that produces electric kilns, shuld have the stuff on hand. I only need about half a squere meter anyways…

2 Likes