Snap On ya212a mig welder design /over heat model

Its a standard google search. Test it on Google proper before using it here.

2 Likes

Got about a foot of snow around here last two days, i see the google alerts works,just too hard too dial in better than the whole USA,or narrow the price range,i am checking about 20 pawn stores next few days,till my credit card gets here,have too pay on credit card stores, and pawns,any registered retailers, that take visa. Found a nice looking inverter mig per duty cycle 200 amps 100 percent ,for about $1000 too door, at alibaba wholesale [ light industrial mig welder] shopping,just Leary on there one year warrentee, and getting a good communication too repair or too get internal parts, so planning on going with transformer 230-250 amp mig, from usa, if transformer cooks from a bad cooling system,i can fix cheaper than sending inverted mig too repair shop,like i see a lot of the washing machines burn out in 2-3 years,$800. machines,just make it past there warrentee, If they make it past the corigated cardboard in shipping,then have too pay return shipping.

The one i was looking at is at cn-topwell.com the price was from an import shipping, a middle man type co. 3 in 1 mig,tig,mma. 622.00 plus 211.00 $ shipping,Too much on the line,for a 200 amp full duty cycle claim under tech data,from there mt 250i model.

2 Likes

I have a questain about three phase welders,has anyone tried useing a three 220 or 400 volt gas generator too power a three phase mig welder.Most of the three phase welders are around 220 - 440 volt, not sure what voltages come with three phase generators in the three phase wire connect mode.I think some country’s are more set up with three phase 220 or 440.???I bet Steve U and or some of the other off grid testers could enlighten or steer me here THANKS.

2 Likes

Kevin, you have to match welder to generator, in the US we have 2 types of 3 phase, Delta, and Y. The Delta systems have a high leg that has to be wired correctly. Delta is usually 480 volt

2 Likes

Thanks al Frick,i think i will just buy the snap on single phase tranformer mig,the guy that is selling one of the two welders,230 amp,has a nice miller tig in shop for repairs,been there two months,still not fixed,probbly one of them nice Light in more ways than one inverter units.

1 Like

I would still like too learn how too make three phase generator match a three phase mig,then could sell that way wood gas generator, nice looking 6000$ three phase migs sitting on ebay,or auction for around 6-800 bucks, be worth lot more powered with three phase generator head , than those three phase converter units.Take a motor like whats in don manns wood gas tracker,idle it down a little,change the restriction a little, and weld till sun goes down with no change in light bill.

1 Like

You can run 3 phase off a converter, which is a bank of capacitors that converts single phase to 3 phase, or turn a 3 phase motor with a single phase motor to produce 3 phase power

1 Like

Delta power is a relic of the past.
Grounded or not I am not aware of any new delta 480 or 600 power installed anywhere since early seventies.
Its a question of stability and reliability in fault conditions
Even before those years Westinghouse offered crude but effective 69 ohm ground systems with purely electro-mechanical controls.
I know of a few of these 50 year old antiques still in service.

Delta High leg is unique to the USA.
Its a hang over from the battle of Edison and Tesla and the need to make both Edison 3 wire and poly phase systems compatible.

Find someone under 40 who understands these things and care enough to keep them up.
" I don’t know what this is for…"
Depressing.

2 Likes

I’m only 31, and granted I don’t know a thing about that stuff, but if a did, I would try to learn how to maintain it properly.

Maybe them snap on welders are over priced,i heard they were actually made by century.And have no over heat protection switch’s either.

1 Like

I have a 87 dollar wire feed flux core welder I bought at Harbour freight on a trip to the USA years back.

I am not much of a welder, but it sticks and has paid for itself my times over.
If it looks bad I run a grinder over and make a few more passes.

I looked at a Chinese 3 in 1 tig, stick and plasma cutter recently.
Kind of interested in that because I know its cheaper to own one machine that does things moderately well than no machines and having to pay for a bead or cut.

Off on a rant last night.
Had to deal with young people at work who have no concept of how anything works, they just wire it up and run away.

2 Likes

I have a harber freight like new i bought at pawn store, the duty cycle is about 10 percent at 110 amps,witch is weld 1 minute and let cool 9 minutes, the biger welders i am looking at other than three phase, or single phase, used are about 1000 bucks used , and good non stop at about 130 too 150 amps.The inverter welders are nice,just not sure on the cheaper one year warrentee machines, and how long before needing a circuit board repair man, might be good thing too school for these days,electronics schooling not in my schedual of goals.

2 Likes

No offense to you BrianHWA I see you are part of the younger cohort I paint with broad strokes…

I used to get IT, I used to be on top of IT,…
The IT changed, and one day I was no longer with IT.
It had become stupid and weird to me.
Mostly because IT had become something young people had a handle on ( and I stopped caring )

I became old and ridged.
IT has always been a moving target and what changed was I was no longer chasing IT.

What was IT is still firmly in my grasp and understanding.
But what I think is the end all and be all of IT is antiquated and foolish to people half my age.

Now the young people may or may not be with " IT " in my opinion.
The do not seem to the grasp the science and theory of IT.
What ever IT has become if it can not be googled and and found on a cell phone, if IT does not self calibrate and diagnose, if IT is serviceable on its own and not a disposable black box component you change then IT is no longer IT…

IT has become a WAS if it requires experience to repair and run…
IT is all about now, plug and play and no real understanding is required.

That scares the crap out of me to be honest…

Welding:
Once time a fellow brought me a welder to fix.
I spent the morning trying to fix it and boss foreman was getting angry because time is money.
He looked too and found nothing, then he laid a bead down with it on some scrap and found nothing wrong.
Turned out the guy who owned the welder was an Idiot.

That was a satuarble core type welder, not electronics to fix.
I don’t think very many people ( myself included ) can repair modern SMT electronics or much of anything that is digitally controlled.
Today most things are designed to be tossed out of they fail and replaced. ( even the replacement parts …)

That is all I know about welders.
But if you find a gold old welder for sale that’s heavy and simple odds are its worth keeping and learning to fix

3 Likes

Yes sir Wallace that is my welding plan, a good used or new transformer mig, use about 15 percent more watts then inverter migs, not a problem if one gets a wood gas generator working,is my other project eventually goals.

2 Likes

Bought a Lincoln welder for my first wood gas project in the early 80’s. Ac/DC 220vac stick. Never ever did any maintenance to it. I now need to splice the ground wire. Burned at least half a ton of rod with it. Works today as well as the first day I brought it home. Love it…

1 Like

Best tape for repair cables like that you can buy.

Inside use layers of 3M 130c or other linerless rubber, but that Plymouth stuff on the outside will last a long long time in rough service.

Everyone has a roll of vinyl tape in there tool box.
Very few people have a roll of linerless rubber but everyone should…
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotch-Linerless-Rubber-Splicing-Tape-130C-3-4-in-x-30-ft-4-ROLLS-/371550814336?hash=item5682278080:g:uR4AAOSwWTRWufrl

Always vinyl over rubber though and not the other way around

5 Likes

I saw this the other day for the first time. Is it any good? I don’t have 3 arms required to effectively use liner tape!!!

1 Like

Its easy to use, just stretchy rubber tape.
It seals up good and keep things dry and insulated, but it needs something on top to protect if form cuts and scrapes.

When you stretch it it sticks to itself and almost becomes like a solid block of rubber.
You will never be able to unwrap it once its stretched and sticks to itself.

A must for the guy that has flexible rubber single and multi conductor power cables.

4 Likes

I have a Lincoln 175hd MIG. I cheat a bit and preheat parts to handle 200+ amp type parts. Great machine. That being said, I have an Everlast TIG/Arc and an Everlast 80 amp plasma cutter. Both machines work flawlessly. They make a MIGs starting at $400. I think their largest is 400 amps.

2 Likes

Well with a five year warrentee ,you caint hardly beat it,after five years the manufacture dont have too stock all the parts anymore, is what the tech support.guy at esab told me,wonder who wrote that law.