Mig welders

i dont know much about the new type inverter migs, the old transformer migs are about all i can come close too keeping going. The small welders for mig with transformers gave me not enough power too properly weld, or a lot of poping instead of welding. i gess all the big name welders are inverter migs theses days, They sound like a good design like my plasma cutter cuts 1/2" steel no problem. though the parts like cercuit boards on new welders could be hard too find after few years depending on there parts supply laws. I hesitated buying my snapon century mig, I am glad i bought it now, after trying too weld with the small migs low duty cycle, you dont have too wait for machine cool down, and the weld gets burned in properly, The Older esab welder is somewhat more duty cycle than the century 212 ya that i bought. Probly the inverter migs that can weld around 150 amps 80 percent duty cycle, would last long and be easy too weld with’ like you said good brand, One that will carry parts if needed at least 10-15 years down road.The inverter migs i think are mostly a box full of cercuit boards for the power supply.

1 Like

Did you check to see if it has brushes? It may just need new brushes or an eraser treatment. There is also potential the relay from the one it was pulled from fried. There is a way to check the coil packs. It is pretty easy. I would also guess there is a shear key on the motor shaft to the gear box. I think that all that is left after that is a bad bearing.

1 Like

Hi i dont need it now it is missing the brushes like ypu menchened, i used too know how too check that stuff on car alternators, think i am slacking on memery. i will problly shorten the shaft and tie my snapon mig wire feed motor too it and see what i get, that motor matches the cercuit board motor controler made for welding resistance speeds.Thanks.