Mike LaRosa .. Linden Wisconsin

My S-10 that was the subject of many videos that no longer exist on the net just left for the scrap yard … The rear wheel cylinders on my black truck both gave out this week so it is parked on my single concrete pad . I bought the new wheel cylinders before my Arizona trip 5 years ago … Hope the new ones are OK (Weekend project) … I had them in 3 plastic bags and under the seat… Surprises me they both went at the same time … Planned obsolecense … M

1 Like

turns out there is a piece attached to the backing plat that was riveted in place … The rivets are harder than the backing plate so ripped through on both sides … THis item holds the brake shoes in place … I ground down the worst one and punched the 2 rivets out of it … This took over an hour or so … 3/8" bolts should work fine … I still have to replace the wheel cylinder on that side and put the rest of the junk back together … Then I have to do the other side … I will have to find the usual springs and pins … VERY POOR design … I wonder if it was recalled ??? … It will have to wait till next week … I’m wore out … Could barely lift that tire … Replacing the backing plate requires pulling the back of the rear end and then the axles … Screw that … Mike

Hi Mike L ,dont feel bad, ,just pray for patiants, these cars trucks can be a real pain, good luck/skill with your s10,it sure beats truck payments/insurence.I got an old 2500 truck i wish i hadent bought,pain in the cantenes.Talk about a lemon i know i got one here.Be carefull with the ford trucks,when the lower control arm gets too rusty,it will send you intoo oncomeing traffic,that happen too my dad 3 years ago,lucky no one was hurt,fisicly,just monitaraly.

Hi Kevin, My 91 S-10 is already junked but my 93 1500 Chevy is what I’m working on as it still runs perfect and is 4WD and RUNS ON WOOD … I can’t do anything but text here right now … I had fun making the replacement part today … I just had to make sure not to smash my hand or fingers while I hammered … Mike

I gess it like the good book says, lay our treasures not up for here on earth,ware musty and rust corrup.Though they probbly wont try and steel are old transit. Maybe if they were 57 chevys,and we dident enjoy are fire arm rights. It sure is cool out tonight,clouds,are moving south west, had 10 mile tornado 12 miles away last week,look like big foot slashed a lot of trees before cooling off and heading out.It sounded just like non stop thunder,or a jet flying low.I wondered what that thunder sound was.type in birch run or millington ,mi tornado

Kevin, I got to hear the freight train sound for the first time last year as I was closing the house windows ahead of a storm. It was a small tornado that went through our place but did a pile of damage when it got out in the open again. We’ve had probably 5 go through here in the 30+ years I have lived here but being in a valley they usually snap the trees off at around 20 feet and what snaps off usually lands miles from here. There were several of them in that storm front last year. I occasionally run into the damage while I’m out surveying. I still haven’t cleaned up the stuff here. I have other priorities. Mike

1 Like

OK mike good luck wih the wood powered truck debugging.Thanks.

Independence Day 2015. I bought a 2000 Cadillac Catera the other day … It was an old friend’s that croaked a year or so ago at 97 … It was made in Germany … I feel like I bought a UFO … Where the hell are the spark plugs ??? It’s a V6 and appears to have a double overhead cam and timing belt. I just epoxied a typical crack in the radiator. I won’t run it till tomorrow until it gets rock hard. It is already set and appears to have stuck well. I’m going to work on the black truck next. Have to pull the drivers side rear brake drum next. I will probably have to blacksmith a part for the backing plate. I already did one for the passenger side but haven’t installed it yet. A defect that may have been recalled and if not should have been … Shoot off some fireworks today … A lot of folks were blasting stuff last night including me … .Last year we didn’t hear a peep here … People are paranoid … Stay well, Mike

Built by Opel for Cadillac if I’m not mistaken. Rwd in a world of fwd caddys

That’s what I was wondering about my car. But I think each plug has a coil on top of them.

Intakes seem to be all plastic now. Do the plastic intakes hold up to woofgas puffs or burning soot out?

Jeff

Arvid and Jeff, I didn’t know it was RWD until I tried to back it up my driveway thinking it was front wheel drive … Now I probably have to grease another driveshaft … It has 79,000 on it and has NO rust … I hope the epoxy holds on the radiator crack. It’s a strange beast and all I can tell is it was made in Germany. I have to order a set of springs and those pins that hold them for the rear brakes on the black truck and put the new wheel cylinders on it … The pads should last until I’m forced to junk it as I won’t go out of rescue range with it again … I fixed the other backing plate thing today … I learned from the last one and did this one asap … I don’t have a computer to read the card right now or I’d post pictures … It’s been thousands of miles on wood and on at least 5 different gasifiers … Mike

Epoxy patch didn’t hold up at 100 mph … It cracked but will work to the post office and back :o) … A friend has already ordered me a new radiator … Of course I have to change it … Truck springs showed up … Good to go but I have to finish that job with the wheel cylinders and now springs … Just wish I was 20 years younger … I tell my kids to retire at 45 !!! … Mike

3 Likes

HI Mike L,good idea,new radiator, I am putting like new radiator in my truck tomaro.all aluminum,out of 1991 ford f 150.nice big radiator.

Kevin, The work never stops. Just God keeping us on our toes :o) … Mike

I would rather keep mine pointed down too, Those GE sucurity systom sales people call me after 5 or six times signing,and telling not interested,i am thinking suspishis,I done told them 7 times the barrow works the best and the alarm is for the cops too come out later too get the bodys.SWEM<BBB

Kevin, HI HI HI as we say in morse code … … … … … … - I love your hinglish … It takes a while for me to translate … Mike

I was just exsplaining that i am sick of repeat calls from some idiots trying too sell or give away some sort of GE home sucurity systom, dont know what thet been smokeing,but i am fed up with them,then the next day they act like they are a different CO, and phrase the same , WE WOULDENT WANT THAT TOO HAPPEN, OR maybe i need there 16 second responce systom.Then i told them the best tool for breakins. The same tools they use for home sucurity.GUNS.and a whole army of solders,of coarse we dont enjoy killing as they do.THE elite and those that think they are above the law. THEY are mad because day TWO i told them i wouldebt buy any of there GE junk,made buy slaves from china.And that there warrentee stinks. SWEM

HI MIKE L//what kind of flex pipe will work for gasifier,how do you know when the stuff is rigid enough.

Hi Kevin, I haven’t used the hose yet that Jeff gave me in Argos so can’t comment … It is plumbed in but on the Studebaker. The hose I used for years that Ted Carbone gave me in Kansas has held up well … It will collapse from suction on occasion but does a figure 8 and makes a pair of 2 inch piped at the restriction … I got one side of the rear end brakes of my black truck done today before the rain started … Hope to get the other side done tomorrow and flush and bleed the lines and start driving it again … Mike

Kevin, The hose that Ted gave me was black rubber and 4 inches in diameter … I have driven thousands of miles on it … I bet Bill S would know what it is normally used for … It had aluminum connectors … Ted got burned out on us and is in retirement but I talked with him a month or so ago … Mike
He is doing well …