Mike LaRosa .. Linden Wisconsin

Thanks Mike L I got some flex i may use temperarily on my elbows around the yard for testing, till i get other pieces .Good luck with your truck,I got more too fix on my old truck,i may have too go get another master cyleinder,if this one leak’s down on back brakes.fixed one back line today allso, hate working with brake fluid getting it on the hands.

Kevin, I got the rear brakes on the 93 chev done done today … The damn safety valve is still stuck up so I can’t bleed them properly yet … There is some fluid going to them … I tried tapping the plunger down but I will probably have to disconnect a front line and mash the brakes to get the juices to flow to the back the way they are supposed to … fun fun fun … The radiator for my cadillac is supposed to show up tomorrow … Next car project (no woodgas on that one) … Mike

Hi Mike L .Thats what i usualy have too do,unhook the front line at the master cycleinder,and or prime the master,then try getting fluid too the back.a fluid pump would be nicer,too load the back lines,i havent perchased one yet either.The back lines can be a pain at times,getting full psi.

It will eventually get that BB unstuck … The new wheel cylinders are full and bleed … I made a muffler for it today and got that on it … It was pretty loud and proud with open pipes … Mike

1 Like

Kevin. I unhooked the front line the other day and it didn’t let loose … I have plenty of fluid at the rear brakes and they are bled. I pushed in on the plunger that is in the end under the rubber cover and it leaked some fluid there. I suspect the valve is defective… Usually I can nail the brakes for a while and get it to reset … I will probably just unplug the connector. I still want the light to remind me when I leave the e-brake on … I’ve been working on this German Cadillac … New radiator is in it and holding … Needs tires and a brake and fluid (trans and rear end) check next … At least there is NO, and I mean NO rust … I put 30 miles on it today and hopefully boiled the pure water out from around the spark plugs … Mike

1 Like

HI MIKE L ,sounds like a neat car too drive, Good luck with your projects,I still got too get back too the rear brakes on my truck Too,drove it all winter with front brakes only, had too really slow down early, pita truck.A few more bugs too squash before winter, no ok i wont mention it, so i can stock up on heating and fuel fire wood.

Kevin, I think the proportioning valve is no good anymore … I disconnected the fake antilock brake stuff to run tests … I just hope some old friend will stop by and stomp on the brakes a few times so I can make sure they are fully bled … Hard to do by myself … Seems to work OK but ??? M

1 Like

HI mike L, i am thinking i might have too change out the proportioning valve on my old truck,it seems like it may be half stuck, i pulled the one in the back that lets the brakes off when the truck is light in the rear.Good luck, i havent got back too reprimeing the brakes yet on this truck.I allways just prop a stick between the seat cushon and the brake pedal too get it primed, it works though it takes a while longer.I gess if we lived a little farther south we may have built a better brake primer by now.I still caint get over that idle control setup from the plans at drive on wood,nice effective ideas.

I keep an old shock that’s still good for bleeding brakes pump with your foot hold the brake down collapse the shock and stick it between the seat and brake pedal it holds and when you crack a line it extends If its a good shock.

6 Likes

Paul, That’s a GREAT idea !!! I have a brand new one in the truck … I usually just use a stick or the ice scraper … Thanks man, Mike

This is Ok high jacking mikes thread and getting pointers,i will try that shock idea too ,Thanks paul,and mike l

lost my entire reply !!! a battery rolled under my keyboard and I suppose the escape button went under other junk and it was all gone … F it … Put luggage rack and trailer hitch on new car … First time with plastic bumper … Need diodes in light wires for pigtail … More next time ??? Mike
I used a splitting maul to hold the pedal on the caddy …

Hi mike L i got my brakes slamming good when loaded,butt locks back wheels up when empty,i am thinking it was the rear brake hinge equalezor,as the springs hang low from the weight the brakes work better on 3/4 ton trucks,this one has stiff springs,so the equalizor needs put back in lines and i can try and adjust it.though it at least has good back brakes with the lines going around the unit.It may have been leaking past the hinge seal as the fluid was muddy after it started moveing too the bleaders better.

Warning … New car had LED’s for turn signals and flashers … I soldered diodes in lines and it just made them flash fast from the load of a real light bulb … The regular brake lights and night lights work fine as they are real incandescent bulbs (I had to replace one) … I will have to install some relays on this one to use a trailer behind it otherwise I will just have brake lights only … Beware … This is a 2000 and only 15 years old …
FUN FUN FUN … Busy till next week … Mike

Haveing fun and eliminating projects,power went out just as i was putting 3rd tranny in my truck, had too haul some metal too pay 25.00 on bank loan too stop the interst bang,late charge.Gotta get a second truck running down road,dont like the feeling of breaking down anymore.My s10 1985 is the canidate, 4.3 should pull my big truck home on dolly going back roads when needed.Good luck with transit never ending battle.

Kevin, I just junked out my 91 S-10 … Haven’t been paid for it yet but had to keep the young cop happy and get it out of here… I need to sho_t my neighbor … … The guy that took it has been pulling stuff off of it since … We’ll get it figured out. I can still see him sitting in a car seat with diaper rash before he could talk :o) … Mike … Time flies !!!

Scrap is so low around here at 70 a ton i hate yoo junk anything,i could have drove too saginaw too get 90 a ton,but the power and my phone was out and i hadent tested the tranny i just installed,bad luck,44 bucks for 1300 pounds of scrap,not worth the time,i am looking for another regular job soon,i should be good for few more working years,i got too get extra transit first,LATER

Got this from Mike L, posting as requested:

Chris, It’s tough … I don’t know what changed … I’m fine here (I think) … I can’t upgrade and can’t access the dow site here but I have no trouble with e-mail here … I think there is something built into XP Pro to make it implode and the newer firefox is a virus as far as I’m concerned … I have no trouble getting radar pictures and all that stuff here but it all stalls at my shop and office … Same phone lines etc etc etc … I’m W2000 here … I may go back to win98 … Just kidding … Thank God it’s Friday :o) … Have a nice week … I’m looking for an engine for my car now … It blew on the way to Herb H’s place … His model A is sweet and his caddy looked great as well … Great folks … Mike, Please post this on my blog page as I can’t get into it … Thanks again

1 Like

Glad too hear MIKE L is OK,good luck with the transportation lemons,I have had my share of them.Most of them were the ones i tried too rebuild the motors, now i just find good running motors and install.

1 Like

Yeah I should have posted here on Mike’s thread, got a call from Mike week ago last thru from about 40 miles northeast of my place. The engine in his 2000 Caddy (none woodgas) had blown and left him standed on hiway 30 east of Ames! Mike had car towed to Ames and I picked him up and brought him to my house while we figured out what to do! He stayed here the night and the next morning I offered to drive him home, since then he has had his car hauled to his place!
He just wanted to get away for a while, he had his canoe strapped on top his Caddy, he was going to stop by my place and then on to South Dakota for some canoeing, sucks that it didn’t work out for him!
Took him for a ride in my Model A and wanted to go for a ride in WoodPoweredCaddy but he was too concrened about how he was going to get his car home!

3 Likes