Motorcycles with gasifiers

That is so cool Tom, the little boy just jumped out of You in what you are saying, I could picture you on that seat in the store. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Bob

11 Likes

Tom they still make kits that are in the spirit of the Whizzer. 2 stroke kits and 4 stroke kits. They fit most men’s beach cruiser frames especially old Schwinn or Murray bikes.

5 Likes

This is a cool subject. I could easily slip into that “thinking about it all the time” vortex as well. [@TomC ] I have no excuses, my “Junkpile” is well stocked with the appropriate bits and pieces. :sunglasses: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Here’s one of the generic 2 stroke kits on a mountain bike. It has roughly 2 horsepower 66cc. One speed but has a manual clutch so you start it by getting a running start and dropping the clutch.

Also pictured is an electric stretch cruiser I’ve been slowly working on.

9 Likes

It would be so cool if some of the members would start building and riding these bikes. Mine would be four stoke engine and Charcoal gasification bike. I need to go out and look at my old bike that I have not been riding on for a few years now. Lol. More fun for the DOW group or should I say Ride on Wood group. ROW. The ROWers group.
Bob

9 Likes

Keep in mind the kit engines are usually only 50cc. The 196cc big kits are meant for heavy duty or even reinforced or fabricated frames. I’m building mine as a cruiser motorcycle that is in the very simple frame style of a Henderson 1915. It will be dual fuel for pragmatic reasons. Has an aftermarket mikuni clone slide carb.

I have a few different ways to modify my gear ratio but I’m hoping since this is a very HOT built engine then I won’t lose much power on charcoal. 20 degrees permanent advance timing flywheel and thin head gasket to increase compression a bit. One of those fancy autolite spark plugs.

7 Likes

As for the gasifier im almost sure it is a downdraft, we must have in mind that people during ww2 mostly drive on wood or charcoal “against their will” meaning there was little interest in getting suitable, good fuel, if using bad charcoal, tarrying the engine the easiest way was to blame the gasifier manufacturer.
This i think led to almost nothing other than downdrafts where made after, say, 1942.
Typically a down-draft charcoal gasifier seems more “fool-proof” for people not interested in what they use, only wanting to get from point A to point B, and as cheap as possible. :grinning:

11 Likes

Project Farm reviews of bike motors.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=project+farm+bike+engines

7 Likes

https://youtu.be/l_N_AwBnjq4

https://youtu.be/CJV4TkxSfNA

https://youtu.be/Wmg0bzuO1Mc

5 Likes

hello cody, i mix secondary air at all my gasifiers before the rubber hose …so the temperature becomes lower and protects the rubber hose.
only for starting is another secondary air valve near the engine intake…
at my system i must never adjust air-gas ratio during the engine runs…
ciao giorgio

5 Likes

for thoose who cannot sleep more some exiting fotos…
with time we get a nice collection…
ciao giorgio
$_100
15_holzdampf_motorrad_schwab

a13877c9409ec5040dec87aba80667b4

Download (2)
Download (3)
Download (4)
holzgas-side
hqdefault
images (8)
images (9)
images (10)
images (12)
images (11)

14 Likes

sperco-II-5
from sperco, ventilator, oil dropper?
and gasifier…who has an idea for what is the brass hole? on the better fotos it has a brass lid. for a lighting port it seems a bit too high…?

6 Likes

Doesn’t the tubing wrapped around the reactor on the trike three pictures up look a lot like the Off-Grid Pro reactor? I’m starting to think we are all just re-inventors.

https://youtu.be/G3fLxPmxIOI

6 Likes

The Teacher in Ecclesiastes said “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.”

9 Likes

I really like the Trikes :smiley:

4 Likes

Al; I bet if they posted a 50 Ford pickup with a gasifier, you might like that too :grin:. TomC

7 Likes

Hey I recognized that guy in the last picture in a black tuxedo suit on the trike build.
Bob

7 Likes

Hi GiorgioP,
I think the brass port on the pictured Sporco II unit is a cast brass/bronze tuyere on a charcoal unit. Hollow. Liquid cooled.

Yeah, nice to see the picture of Koen Van Looken.
Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Hi, the brass or bronze part is a part of the air intake, there is a bend pipe on the inside with nozzle in bottom. There is some missing parts, on the brass part should be mounted a “air flap” (non return valve) and a “flame catcher” this was demanded by laws here to be approved to sell gasifiers.
In the missing piece there should also be a water dripper device.
Im looking around my books and papers here, should have a simple schematic of the Sperco 2.
but cant find it for now, im really curios myself to check it up better.

6 Likes

Something i found was, Asbrinks & co made around 1000 Sperco2, of wich they sold 500, the unselled was later scrapped, this is due to fuel and oil rationing, it came new restrictions that made it impossible to buy oil for engines with loss lubrication, as in two-strokes.

6 Likes