My charcoal tractor

Baisse de pression en pouces d’eau? Aucune idee. Je dirais 1/4 a 1/3 moin de force au moteur. Pour un tracteur ideal puisque tu veut un gouverneur ouvert et moin de vitesse lorsque tu laboure.
David

Wow David.
You are bilingual! You’re the first that I know gasman who speaks French.
I live in Gaspésie in Quebec. We are almost neighbors. If I go through with you, I’d go see your tractor.
Currently, I am studying gasification. I have nothing built to date. I’m interested in particularly charcoal gasifiers. I would like to convert a 1960 tractor that I now restore.
If you travel in my corner come visit us sometimes.
Thierry

1 Like

Born and raised in the outaouais region thirty. Gone twenty years now living about 3 hours west of Ottawa near Bancroft Ontario. Any time you are close feel free to visit. If we ever get near gaspesie we will do the same.
David

1 Like

Thierry… Autocorrect get confused with french

1 Like

Thierry what is the tractor year and model?

David.
My caterpillar tractor is a oliver OC4 model.
I do not know exactly what year it is, probably 1960.
I recovered in the courtyard of old iron of a farm. He was in ruins.
I have not yet finished to restore it! I work for lost time in three years.
Thierry

1 Like

David, I have always been meaning to ask you if you have a puff back lid on your reactor tanks? And then the next question - have you ever experienced a puff back? I believe Gary Gilmore once mentioned (I may be wrong) that he never gets puff backs with his charcoal gasifiers. If this is true, I wonder why this is?
Don

1 Like

Hi Don, the gasket on the lid is car door gasket and is only compressed a little so there is a bit of give there. Then the sump pump hose is only friction fitted to the air filter and can blow off. I have had a blowback when I shut off the air intake during a flaring run without turning off the blower. I caused a vacuum in the main tank then turned off the blower, it let air in and poof. It was a disappointment I was expecting a huge kaboom… I got a poof, fffffft it blew the hose off though. In regular operation even refilling no never a blow back. I always assumed it was some combination of low energy density, slow flame speed and lack of oxygen in the fuel to start with that keeps it under control. Also by being up draft that keeps oxygen down low…
Best regards, David Baillie

2 Likes

Hi Don, I usually get a Pooof when I do a hot reload of my Ford Ranger charcoal gasifier. The space is filled with carbon monoxide and when I open the lid to refill, just have to wait a second or two to see if the gas will ignite. Not a big deal if you are expecting it. The other blow backs on my smaller gasifiers did not lift the lid, only blew hot coals out the air inlet, Early on I had an explosion when the charcoal gas burned from the flare and back into a filter which had an air leak. It did go Kabooom.
Gary

1 Like

Hi Gary, the larger volume causing the poof? To refill I turn off the tractor turn off the tap at the filter, Crack the lid fill fast close lid turn on blower open tap. I think the combination of smaller lid and filling it to the rim and immediately suckling out the air avoids the poof. Not sure though. How goes the truck woes?

1 Like

David, I was re-reading your post and am having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say here. If the tractor stopped after the charcoal level dropped below the exit pipe 1/3rd down and then you add the “snorkel” so the exit is near the top, how would that give more range? Or did I read that wrong?
Don

1 Like

Hey Don,
The salvaged propane tank has a factory 1" bung installed at the 2/3rds mark up the side. My thinking at the time was I was not getting enough dwell time in the unreacted charcoal above the air intake due to the low side exit. The snorkel refers to a pipe extension I installed to force the gas all the way to the top of the tank before it exits. Before the snorkel the engine would shut down when about 1/3rd of the charcoal was consumed. With the snorkel I can burn half the tank before shut down. I also changed my sieving so that probably helped…
Best regards David Baillie

3 Likes

Hi David.

On your tractor, yellow pipe that brings gas from the gasifier ESC, it is of fabric-covered copper platic?

What is its section?

You regarded that it is a good choice?

Thierry

Hi Thierry the exhaust injection line you see is a natural gas supply line like you would see on a stove in a house. That one is stainless with an enamel paint on it I think. Some have a plastic covering some none. It’s a very common item at any hardware store that has water heaters and plumbing supplies.
Best regards David Baillie

Thank you for the answer David

The local hardware store will supply that 3/8 section, this is big enough?

My wet coal seems.

Is there a way to dry?

Thierry

1 Like

Depends on the size of the engine Thierry. There is a lot of experimenting involved. Call a propane supply place or installer, they will have 1/2 inch. For drying propably a big tarp lay it out on a nice sunny day…

2 Likes

Finally got the tractor re assembledwith it’s new ring gear and starter. It sounds like a hot rod! 6 volt new starter running on 12 volts. I added a few things as well; Some silver manifold paint and a welded in plumbing t on the exhaust with a union for taking it apart. Now to reinstall the gasifier

8 Likes

So I shop vacced out the gasifier to reateach it. What I found was after 20 ish hours of run time I had about 2 gallons of slag and ash. The refractive is intact and as suspected the slag volcano seems to have built up and protected it.
Pic one slag volcano

Pic two close up of slag… hard to get
Pic 3 cleaned out with no damage to refractive

3 Likes

Looks good David. Approximately what angle is your nozzle from vertical? Do you think that angle helps now that you have some run time experience?

1 Like

Hey Don, it’s at about a 30 degree angle from vertical. I think from the deposit pattern that it does hill up “downwind” so to speak. Maybe that makes it easier to break through the slag the next time? Not sure. Next time I’m adding a clean port underneath for sure! That was a pain in the neck.

2 Likes