My gasifier WILL NOT LIGHT….Arrrrgggh

kristijan, it is too exiting running motors without gasoline, one cannot stop more…
a lot of projects are yet to do … a kind of anarchism or consume terrorism

16 Likes

Georgio, I think of Woodgasing(chargasing)-for-Engines more as a FREEDOM shouting out.

Saying to THEY; to THEM, who make up the System and Systems in out modern interdependent world . . . saying in living actions; that I do not so much need you (as you certainly insist); it is you, who need me.
This is a Positive thing. Change made by just walking away. No longer a bought-it Sheeple.

In my now getting longer on in life age, I have up close and personal known these: anarchists; strident animal rights; strident human rights people. Ultra-religious. Ultra-political. And now the natural world over and above humans folks.
Some were/are actual blood relatives. All of these quickly evolve over to the extreme Negative. Justified by thier strong beliefs that any action or actions are justified. Destroying. Breaking. Than onto blood letting Violences.

So you, your close family, are a Positive shining beacon. That there is another way. Thank You.
Steve unruh

9 Likes

Hi Rick this cold, cold morning I am having difficulties with my started up wood stove.
Mostly because I just scooped out the majority of the building up wood ash from the past days using.
Some is an air weather changing over to heavy-humid Pacific Ocean air flow.
Mostly though I am too much reading posts on the computer around the corner and missing the steps-timing to making a new a hot glowing bed of woodchar.

This may look good but the air in is at 100% and the upper by-pass 100% opened so most of the heat is sweeping up, out away.

Here is a good heating mode with an established good thick bed of char allowing then minimal air in, and the upper by-pass closed for a long in distance and time, internal stove heat transferring out pathway:

They only look similar due to a newly added split of wood onto the thick hot char bed in this second picture.

Woodgasing you must learn differences also by what you are having to do in controls and manipulations to achieve good results versus just pretty flare visuals.

The pretty girl in make-ups; skin tight clothing, on legs shaping heels is just that . . . a pretty girl. Go out to the kitchen. Go into the nursery. Go out in the working world, to find the truly beautiful women.
Regards
Steve unruh

11 Likes

Yes Steve, I agree. The coal bed needs to be established first in the fire place stove. I tried using my poplar wood this last couple of days, I have many cords of it to cut up still. The orchard above us has now cut all the old wind break poplar trees down.
Here is what I have learned, build a fire dry chunked poplar, add to it charry wood establish hot coals and get the stove up to heat. Once I have that then I can add the bigger pieces of poplar wood with some cherry wood mixed in. The poplar makes 5× the ash that cherry wood does. I do have to empty my ash tray every morning when burning the poplar wood. And I notice I am going down to adding wood more often when burning the poplar wood.
Yes freedom from the man made systems that have been made by greedy men. It will fail. How do I know this, Ha I read to the The End of The Book.

9 Likes

Trying to reply to each and every idea is wearing out my search and peck typing skills. :woozy_face:
so…a small update. I tried lighting it using charcoal about 4" deep with the same tiring results. I simply do not get it. Its air tight. I’ll include a sketch with the basic dimensions. It should work. It is VERY similar in design to others I see on the web which light off with no issues. It has to be a physics issue. Could it be that my burn tube is too large? My outlet too low? Could it be my plumbing is too small? Could it be my plumbing is too big? My filter box is empty. Is that an issue? I’m running out of ideas. Take a look at my basic design sketch as well as my earlier uploaded pictures. I have no issue moving past this design but would really really really like to see it work first. The weather is crap today and tomorrow so I’ll take a break. I’ll attempt one more light using more charcoal but I don’t see that that will help. The videos online don’t use charcoal at all. They simply toss in their wood pellets, light it off, run their generators and have a beer.
Anybody want to buy a real quality gasifier? I’ll make you a great deal. :rofl:

8 Likes

Are you lighting it at the top with a full load of fuel?

Mine had an ignition port close to the grate that was used to light it then that port was closed and the air came in from the top like yours.

You could light it with just a small amount of fuel and then add more once that is burning.

8 Likes

I’ve used the ignition port, which is 1” pipe protruding over the brake drum basket. (Forgot to show that on my sketch) I’ve lit it from the top using charcoal bed then added chopped wood blocks. I’ve tried dumping hot charcoal down the empty tube then adding more wood behind it. I’ve tried the fan on every conceivable speed.
No joy. Always exactly the same result.

7 Likes

Hey Rick

I went back and attempted to read through the entire thread and may have missed it but do you have what we call a choke plate ? If not I would suggest a choke plate with a hole cut in it of 3-4 inch diameter and placed in the fire tube about 3-4 inches above the grate . The disc or plate does not have to be sealed tight between it and the fire tube and just placed on a little ledge . pegs or slugs to keep it above the grate . The purpose of the choke plate is to speed up the velocity of the air in this spot by 2-3 folds which will bring the temps of the charcoal high enough to make the gasification conversion .

14 Likes

When i tried FEMA-style many years ago, the first attempt i got a flare after about 2,5 hours of using the blower, poking, let it rest some, blowing again, and so on, those are tricky to get a flare.
The fastest i managed to get that setup flaring was maybe after 30 minutes, after some “training”.
Could help some with running the blower at really low power.

9 Likes

Yaeh man thats why I suggested just forgetting that thing. You are so much better to just move on to a simple fire. Start learning that and it will flare off. I dont know of anyone that has failed making one. The time you have put into this, you would have probably had one built by now and flaring it off.

Salvage what you can go that route and you will soon be experiencing running an engine on wood.

Nice drawing I can tell you have done some drafting in your day.

11 Likes

Hey Rick . . .
a slightly sick woodgasifer joke . . .
Man you left out two letters from your declared POS.
Add and R and an L.
Makes it then a REAL PIECE OF LOSER SHIT.

Will give you the pathway to losing this as has been suggested and moving on with clear conscience.
Once you have struggled and gotten the important gasification basics down you actually can make a flare out of a straight piece of 4" pipe. Pretty. But as useful as a clowns juggling act.
S.U.

11 Likes

Wrap that blower in duct tape. Those things leak a lot of air. Thats if you want to try again. Be easy enough to try. But yeah dont use that in the future you need a better blowr for this.

7 Likes

You think maybe I’m pulling air through the motor into the squirrel cage? Hmmm

8 Likes

Yeah it wont work especially if the gas is weak to begin with. Get that sealed up and just maybe and I mean just maybe you might get a slight faint blue lookiing flare. If the smoke goes away you may have a flare that are just not seeing.

8 Likes

2 other things that may or may not have give you a issue the brake rotor is a heavy piece of steel and will be stealing a lot of heat so maybe insulation on the area of the rotor may help the other thing i would do is remove your filter box , you don’t need it for a flare and its 1 less thing to go wrong , who knows it may be the reason your not getting burnable gas , only 2 weeks ago i could not get my gas to light at all i had temps at 850c in the reactor and plenty of smoke coming out the blower stack , but no way would it light , i started dismantling a piece at a time first the filter was disconnected ,put the flame gun to the feed pipe smoke coming out no gas moving backwards the next thing was the centrifuge same no gas out the bottom or top only smoke i then removed inspection plug a sort of blanking plug and wow flame at last , it was a blockage in the pipe going to the heat exchanger it was 95% filled with a tar ball that was hard as rock and been there for years , just enough to allow smoke to get past but no gas . working great now its been drilled out .
Dave

13 Likes

steve unruh, with anarchist and consume terrorists, i mean of course …that we are this in the eyes of the globalists, when we not think and consume like they will…

rick, sorry writing in your topic, but give not up, modyfie your gasifier first for charcoal, wood gasifying is more high school …
fema is obviously a construction for giving up soon, because the globalists like not our independency…so, what i have written to steve can be seen also as a part of this topic…
you have built nice pieces and parts what can be reused, you need only a airthight lid and a nozzle instead of the long tube…
i think we all here are a kind of woodgas missionarys… :laughing:

13 Likes

Maybe we are just guys that like to make things. I like to think we are systems level thinkers.

13 Likes

I like to think of us as a big middle finger to the WEF.

6 Likes

Rick, a quick experiment you could try is to push a 3/4" or 1" pipe down through your fuel, just as you may have seen Wayne do to light his gasifier with a piece of live char. Let it end 5-6 inches above the lower end of the firetube. Hopefully most of the air will be drawn through the pipe, speed up the process down there and concentrate the heat.
This is no permanent solution because the pipe will gradually be consumed by the heat, but will hopfully at least rule out any other issues.

10 Likes

Ok boys and girls… I have stepped back from this disaster of a gasifier and mulled my options. Be it known that I HATE GETTING MY ASS KICKED BY AN INANIMATE OBJECT, but sadly it happened. This configuration will not produce flammable gas, period. Now time to face reality and come up with plan B.
This last build started with a foggy plan at best, utilizing the US government’s FEMA plan. I had a vague goal of running a generator and driving an old riding lawnmower using this contraption. The FEMA plans called out specific burn tube diameters and lengths for specific horsepower needs. So, I wrongfully assumed they had some morsel of wisdom on the subject. My burn tube according to FEMA should drive a 30 hp engine. As you know, all I get is non flammable gas and an enormous amount of watery tar. If nothing else, I did learn the need for a more specific goal. So here is my mission statement:

Build one or more gasifiers to specifically power the following equipment.
Portable Generator #1: Techumseh 10 hp. 358cc.
Portable generator #2: Champion 2000 watt. 80cc.
Sears riding mower : 17.5 hp. 500cc.
I would of course love to salvage what I can from my original gasifier.
So where do I start? Design and build a small unit for one or both generators? Rework the old unit for the lawnmower?
Whatta ya say guys? Little help?

10 Likes