My TSI Machines

Jeff, did you build that wood chopping / splitter? Give us a walk around video on that thing, so we can see how you have it is set up.
Bob

3 Likes

Hi Bob, I got it at the spring auction. It’s a commercial unit no longer going. The owner/builder passed away a few years ago. It’s a Simplex 14 Chomper. I should do a video of it. The video right above is not a Chomper.

Below is a nice Chomper on YouTube.

5 Likes

Looks like summer fun:

3 Likes

It is really easy to make that 4wd and hydraulic get two case ingersoll 448 garden tractors the rear end is driven off a hydraulic motor with a hydraulic pump bolted to the output of the motor to drive the system. Just replace axles with the case rearend and you are up and running 4wd hydraulic on 16 inch rims. I love those case ingersoll and almost lost it seeing this old post today because I was just talking to a friend the other day about doing this very same thing with one of those blue 16 hp motors.

1 Like

Expensive but I just might get one. I like his shop!

4 Likes

Already I’ve had to do some thinning of the sycamore forest… :grinning:

This is a keeper.

4 Likes

If that’s your forest, that’s one hell of a set of cutters, Jeff :grin:

2 Likes

Pepe, lets hope they out grow the shears. I started to collect some seed balls last fall. Kind of hard to get them because I have to wait until they fall off and maybe get a few before a varmint gets them. I still find it hard to understand how such a large tree can sprout from a tiny seed.

Hi Jeff, what do you use sycamore for? They grow like weeds here, can’t get rid of them fast enough. I cut about 100 saplings this winter that were taking over a resting garden spot.

Hi Al, I hope to watch them grow into nice size trees. I really need to find the right tree for me. :relaxed: then what? Well now I never found a tree that I could not find a use for plus I love those large leaves. The trick is finding something that will grow. Hey, the seeds are free!!!

1 Like

My folks had sycamore trees around the house I grew up in. They are self pruning so we were always picking up sticks and seed balls. In the fall we raked up huge piles of the best smelling leaves that bring back lots of memories when I smell them now. My dad called it button wood because they used to make wooden buttons out of the wood because it was so dense and hard.

1 Like

If they grow as fast as they do here you’ll have some to use in no time, in 4-5 years mine got to be 4-6 inches in dia. When you cut them about a dozen will grow out of the stump.

1 Like

Here’s my axe mentor, along with Wrangler

His web page.

http://skillcult.com

4 Likes

I watched. I watched some more of his videos and then subscribed. Thanks, Jeff! :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, I want one of these. I have been dreaming of a machine that would do all of that at one time. I wish I could see what kind of cylinder and pump it has. It is fast and strong. I have a cylinder off a garbage truck compactor but don’t have a pump that would push it that fast. He must be using foot pedal controls to keep his hands free. Surely he doesn’t have another person operating the splitter head, that wouldn’t be very wise with a machine that moves that fast. Referring to post 58

Billy, that is the one I want to built for my pole wood. Having the splitter on the shear might not be ideal for large diameter wood but for poll wood it should be just the checkers. I would figure out a way to auto cycle the cylinder, with an E-stop of course. I’ve seen other splitter/shear schemes; one with very short splitters on both sides of the shear looked interesting. Also the welded on splitter would stop the shear from cracking in the middle. But that cracking problem might be just the shape of my Chomper shear. I think this all in one design is the way to go.

Fell, limb and buck with an axe. Then skid to the shear with the pole wood skidder. That way, no chain saw needed for pole wood.

1 Like

We have the horse for snaking logs, He eats more than yours though.

1 Like

Along with our wood lots we should be looking for products to sell. After all we all need money to buy tools and supplies to build gasifier.

In the new issue of Sawmill & Woodlot there is an article of a man that saws grilling planks and wood chips. Looks like he gets about $7 a plank. Saws them on a manual bandsaw.

3 Likes

The little guys are starting to make some progress.

1 Like

I give Jeff, what is it?