New member from Belgium

Som pics are posted in the wood chunker section…

1 Like

Hi, Henk!

EU has a list of accepted (some taxfree) road vehicle fuels.

Among gases, one should find woodgas.

Individual countries have additional regulations for how old (first registration year) vehicles are accepted for modification to woodgas.

Wihout extra specifications (cathalysators) the acceptance year without additional requirements are

1975 in Sweden, and

1986 in Finland

This, for personal cars, other vehicle types (as light and heavy trucks) have far more leinient restrictions reaching about 10 years further… and more.

Dive into EU road vehical fuel regulations!

4 Likes

Hi, Till & Henk!

No worries with a legal, accepted vehicle; lighting it at either side of the restriction, with an electrical push-in glow plug, or a flame sucction tube makes almost none visible smoke.

The principal is to start the ignition in PURE charcoal! Not in tarry char near the nozzle-tips!

At close-down silo-tar ALWAYS drops down into the nozzle region!

The fire goes fast enough counter-draft up to the nozzle level anyway, so just add the convenient flame-tube straight in from the side or from the upper end of the silo.
Or from any practical level.

This flame-tube has to be shut after the fire has been made working.

Refilling smoke is kept at a minimum by throwing in a burning paper-towel just as the lid is opened.

8 Likes

Hi, Till & Henk!

As silo-tar drops down into the hearth, a “balcony roof” keeps it from creeping along the hearth-sides, avoiding the glowing heat in front of the nozzle-tips.

If left unattended, it creeps down between the nozzle “shafts” in a relatively cool region, especially if the nozzle shafts or stalks are long.

But if this region is kept free from char, the hot return circulation gas will keep it hot while the nozzle blasts suck up the return-gas and pass it back into the white-glowing center, again and again.

Slightly below of this “collection ring” the char is dry and pored showing no signes of “surviving” tar.

The picture of it is in the TomC correspondence.

mess. 635

4 Likes

Hi Max, nice to meet!
this reads like poetry … I suppose what you describe is all provided in Wayn’s design?
I will dive into EU regulations…
Thanks a lot for the explanation!

1 Like

Dear Max,

I tried to find some fuel regulations and dived into it, however, it looks like the water is pretty muddy and I got lost. There are so many documents that it is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Maybe I just used the wrong method and keywords.
Do you have some numbers of the certain EU regulations at hand? That would make thing easier to find.
Thanks a lot!

I read that in Germany there are no rules for vehicles built in 1969 or earlier. However, it would be nice to have the law or rule in the hands if police or vehicle inspection don’t believe it.

Thanks for the hint with the “balcony”.

Regards,
Til

1 Like

Hi, Henk & Til !

So far, nobody seems to have adopted the “balcony roof”;
(a roof over a balcony which does not excist)
The “balcony” is just a spontaneous descripion of a horizontal ring that somebody proposed to be layed on the nozzles…

It soon was modified to be a short cylindrical ring standing loosely on the nozzle-shafts and having a conical roof (funnel) reaching just over the nozzle-tips.

The hollow ring under it acts like a collecting cavity for the outflowing gases from the white-glowing center.

From here the strong nozzle beams suck the tarry gases back into the inferno center, for “final” treatment before reaching the reduction area…

“Yes, we have no bananas…”

It has not been adopted or described in Waine’s book.

It will not deliver heat to the hearth wall in the same amount as when high-glowing char is allowed to be in direct contact with the hearth-wall !

The purpose is to promote targas recirculation into the center,
not preheating primary air outside the hearth.

Outside the hearth-wall a modest preheating of the primary air is anyway taking place.

1 Like

Hi, Til!

Did you look under Taxation of roadvehicle fuels?

Welcome to the DOW HenkO.
Here also look up all of the works and posts of member Francois Pal near to you in the wooded part of France.
Open up the top tool bar stacked paper icon. Go to the History sub-section. Then Gohin Poulenc (sp?) topic with his p_pal screen name.
Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

4 Likes

Thaks a lot Steve, I will look into it…
Nice to meet you!
tree-climber Henk Onzea :wink:

2 Likes

Nice video Steve, I like the design… glad to know he lives in the area!

Bienvenu à toi Henk,plus on est nombreux et plus on rigole, mais il faut bien comprendre que l’on sait quand démarre la passion des véhicules fonctionnants avec du gaz de bois, mais on ne sait jamais quand cette passion va s’éteindre, c’est à dire presque jamais, tellement le sujet est vaste, à ta disposition pour tes questions sur diveonwood.

le pyroman en chambre contrôlé.

Francois Pal

Welcome to you Henk, the more we are and the more we laugh, but we must understand that we know when the passion for vehicles running with wood gas starts, but we never know when this passion will go out, that is to say almost never, so the subject is vast, at your disposal for your questions on diveonwood.

the pyroman in controlled room.

Francois Pal

4 Likes

WK. Design works well with his large char bed he has plenty of throttle left for allmost any road conditions, as his design hardly ever runs hot from getting bridgeing going on, i caint speek for imbert designs as the others are Talking there low charbed design. But as Wayne Keith has demonstrated over and over in all his over 100 vidios, His design works very well and is perfect fit for the truck.good luck with the truck build, looks like a gem. I myself used WK design all but the burn tube and with a ceramic blanket in a hot water heater burn tube a thick one, it seems too be tar free as well. I hate useing the thin barrels but they are what keeps thee weight down. Try some designs and later go with light weight thin ss barrels bought or built.

3 Likes

Bonjour François, je suis honoré de vous connaitre, j’habite au nord de la Belgique et mon français n’est pas si bon … belle voiture que vous avez!
Je pense que tu n’habites pas à proximité …?
Salutations,
Henk
and thanks for being at my disposal!

2 Likes

Good evening Henri,

on my channel Youtube, pocketpata, it’s not my car but that of a friend Bernard Perrouse, a 3.7 liter chrysler that works like a thunder, wonderfully, I’m building a trailer to propel my recumbent bike carbonite, compressed charcoal with tar of wood, attached a photo,

Do not be shy to ask me questions, and on the forum, everyone benefits.

Best regards.

François Pal

7 Likes

very interesting bike you have there…Do you have any kind of break in the structure at the trailer hitch?