New project! Normans next gassifier truck

ah, tone that is fine…thank you for the pictures, fotos says often more than worlds, also when a translater is between…
thank you and god bless you
giorgio

7 Likes

Yes Giorgio, pictures are better. The a.i. Translator can be wrong on words it uses. Because it is man made not God made.
Bob

6 Likes

Yeah, thanks Tone, that looks like “air condition” hose and service connection, i’ve got a lot of that stuff since i worked with it, good to re-use when im re-fill propane bottles (much better than the leaky, hose-clamped stuff im using now) :+1:
Can you explain a little more about the gas-bottle with a “sponge” inside? I understand the function, but not where to get one? Do they have a special name or using? They seems not available in Sweden.
Thanks. :smiley:

6 Likes

https://www.hausundwerkstatt24.de/Profi-Hochleistungsloetgeraet-Power-MAPP-Hartloetbrenner

3 Likes

Thanks Tone, going to look them up :+1:

4 Likes

hello bob, in what congregation you are? …not much knew the names of good…
ciao giorgio

3 Likes

V10 HAS AN IRREGULAR HEART BEAT. I CAN BREAK ANYTHING ITS A CURSE I SWEAR!

18 Likes

Oh that feeling when a broken bolt comes out easy… makes me kind of “shiver” in a good way :crazy_face:

Anyway the whole thing reminds me of when i worked on big trucks, very few trucks in Sweden are built like yours in the States, 99% are cab over engine, but when one of them with a “nose” arrived at the shop with the recognizeable sound of a leaky exhaust manifold gasket, or a missing injector, i could tell the driver, it’s probably on cylinder 4 or 8 (under the cab) :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

Thanks for the video and sorry about the bad luck.

On my V-10 running at low rpms and in a high gear and the torque converter locked in I will get a back fire out the intake manifold if I go to wide open throttle very suddenly.

If I accelerate slowly with the above condition no problem.

If I am driving low rpms in a lower gear and accelerate suddenly no problem.

Keep in mind this V-10 is firing on every stroke ( wasted spark ). I think the timing falling back under heavy acceleration along with slow burning fuel may cause the wasted spark to cause an ignition prematurely.

On my 5.2L motors the above doesn’t happen .

14 Likes

Its a gloriose feeling when a broken bolt comes out easily! If you know how bad it CAN be…

8 Likes

My v10 does the exact same thing, and for whatever reason off the line trying to take off is when mine will intake pop easily. Has done it maybe 4 times now in 2500 miles

9 Likes

I’m wondering if the bolt got backed out from vibration and that’s what made it snap. Had just enough room for the rocker support to smack the head of the bolt.

7 Likes

Marcus, even problems are a part of life, which teach us humility, perseverance, patience and reflection on cause and effect, technique is a strict teacher that does not overlook mistakes. Well, the reason that the screw breaks off is often that it was previously too tight (too much screwed) and prolonged vibration, so the material is on the edge of its tensile strength.
:thinking:

10 Likes

Sorry for the broken bolt but fascinating to watch the cure.
You are an inspirational mechanic

11 Likes

My guess is it started at the factory. Defective temper on the bolt, insufficient tightening, over tightening, etc. you were just the lucky one who “put the last straw on the camel’s back” (the intake backfire) and it broke. Now you get to fix it. Check torque on all the others. Did I mention I grew up in the Detroit area? Did I mention I have been on tours of assembly plants? Did I mention I worked for a company that made custom automotive test equipment and therefore have been in several assembly plants working? :cowboy_hat_face:

9 Likes

After doing some digging I came to find this is a somwhat common problem. Found a few videos of the same thing on youtube, and a few online forums. Dodge explained it as a sludging problem that would cause a momentarily lockup of the lifter in its up position placing the bolt in a bind and it is the weakest link. Hmmmmm while I had the valve cover off i did notice this motor is flat out NASTY inside. Sludge in the heads. Hmmmm decisions ahead

7 Likes

I’d give Marvel Mystery Oil a shot.

Or maybe do a BG motor flush and then maintain it with 20% MMO in the oil to prevent sludging and varnishing.

I prefer the slower more gentle cleaning of MMO but if you’ve already got sludge I’d maybe run the BG stuff and get it out.

4 Likes

There is a jug of marvel on the passenger seat right now, problem is there is still a misfire on that cylinder, it is minor but I can feel it still and the air flow meter is pulsing which is a giveaway of a missfire. So it may have damaged the lifter

5 Likes

Could it be a slightly bent valve?
Something similar used to happen on the Scania diesels i worked with, a misfire, pushrod thrown out of it’s place, when fixed they used to “limp” on that cylinder, some customers doesn’t wanted to spend more money, just drove, after about 1/2 hour they run as they should again…
But, this can get expensive…

9 Likes

Luckily im a pack rat that doesnt throw things away, like a spare v10 in the green parts truck :wink:

11 Likes