New user application questions

Yeah a closed loop system I think would require a pump and safety valve. Otherwise I think as long there is part of the system with an open vent somewhere along with some cooling on the return line it would flow through convection.

1 Like

You have to put pressure relief valves and air chamber(s) using an overflow tank for water hammer issues into the system regardless.

Whether you gasified that or not you are reclaiming waste heat when doing this. Same as using that pellet stove as a cook top.

Looking at the specs I could come up with a way to use the forced air blower to pump that air also into the RV through where the heater is right now. I need to do some planning and sizing up things first.

2 Likes

I didn’t think so either. I’ll buy a 8750 Watt or better generator if needed when the time comes. I can always either resell the other one or relegate it to field use to run tools.

2 Likes

I am going to get a tri fuel conversion kit for the generator regardless so I can run low or high pressure propane with it. Will that regulator be suitable to also use with wood gas? The one in the kit is a Garretson KN Demand Regulator.

Here are the specs on the regulator.
https://www.propanecarbs.com/garretson/garretson_kn_demand_regulator.html

There you go, better to woodgas a Predator vs an expensive generator. Tar dont care how much you paid for it its going to wreck it anyways. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes and No. A regulator is needed for propane and NG because it is stored at a high pressure and you need to reduce it. Usually they also have checkvalves and spark arrestors on them. There isn’t a regulator for woodgas because the engine it what generates the suction to draw the gas in. Usually people are adding it to the air intake, and skipping the carb altogether.

With the simplefire, you capture exhaust gases to push back into the system to limit the oxygen going through the system. or else you are just burning up the charcoal at an accelerated rate like blast furnace.

Reading wayne’s book could be really helpful so you understand the system a bit better. you don’t have to build his gasifier system to learn a lot.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. Right now what I need to determine is the base fuel either pellets, wood chard or otherwise or something like envi blocks. From there potential units will become apparent and how to piece everything together.

I am building a system not just a gasifier. It is only one piece of the overall puzzle here.

I certainly will buy some literature like Wayne’s book once I’ve defined the pieces of the system and how they fit together.

Like the analogy some people miss the forest for the trees I am trying to see the proverbial forest first instead of looking for a specific tree in it.

3 Likes

I think wayne’s book will give you a jumpstart on the pieces you need for the system, which is why I mentioned it. You don’t have to use his design, but understanding the parts and pieces of a working system will help.

4 Likes