On climate change

Grooving to more SBB and Niemen.

Thought I would share ( since this thread is way out in the Weeds )
the Napier and sons ltd " Nomad "
Most powerful and efficient OP aircraft engine ever build ( and diesel )

It is actualy and extension and great leap forward from the Jumo 205.
This lead to the Napier Deltic

Deltic
Coolest diesel ever…

I am struck by how much of what I see on TV and read in papers today reminds me of Orwell, and his warnings.

2+2 can in fact equal 5 if we use alternative math…

Too that end I want to tell you something.
Cows will save us, I know so because I read it in the Times…
Rajasthan education and panchayati raj minister Vasudev Devnani has said that cow is the only animal that ‘inhales and exhales oxygen’ and that people need to understand its ‘scientific significance’.

According to a release issued by the Rajasthan education department, the minister made the statement at a programme organised at the Hingonia Cow Rehabilitation Centre by Akshay Patra foundation on Saturday.

Devnani also said that diseases such as cold and cough are healed if one goes near a cow and emphasised on the role of youth in promoting cow conservation in the entire country.

He also claimed that cow dung has ample quantity of vitamin B that results in soaking radioactivity.

However, in 2006 a UN Food and Agricultural Organisation report said that livestock, including cows, are “responsible for 18% of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.”

Protection of cow, regarded by Hindus as a holy animal, has become a political issue in the country. Last year, vigilantes — several of whom were linked to Sangh Parivar organisations — have attacked and killed people on suspicion of killing the animal or consuming its meat.

Be warned fellow gassers its getting really weird out there.
And that is as political as I will ever ever get…

1 Like

At least the people from India are doing a massive build out of renewable energy. If they get close to their goal, they will most likely be in the neighborhood of 2nd highest installed capacity in the world in a few years.

61% of the US population is somewhat or very worried about global Warming, it is the most since 2008. Let’s hope they do something about it…

1 Like

Since Taiwan wind energy was mentioned, apparently the Danish are interested in helping them:

Let’s hope they learned from the land wind farms and get turbines that have brakes that actually release. The natives hate the wind farm just outside Taichung. Those turbines hardly ever turn. They told me the brakes swell up with the salt in the air. That is a big oops. It was actually pretty funny when we finally got the story and told the company we where working for. They just laughed and said sounds just like a Chinese project. They must have gotten brakes that work by now that was 10 years ago. But it made the locals hate wind power.

Cool cause I have cows!!! I drove past the farm down the road and after the cows left so did the trees and houses grew up out of the ground all over the place with those Dino fueled cars in the driveway. So yes my cows are saving the planet per acre my farm produces much less green house gas then the farm without cows anymore. In fact I am certain per acre my farm has a very high rate of CO2 capture. The 200+ acres of woods must use more CO2 then my 14 cows make…:joy:

2 Likes

Thorium molten salt reactors get my vote.

3 Likes

Dong has -quite- a bit of experience. They just started installing Vestas’ V164-8.0 MW model. :slight_smile:

I keep looking at that and all I can think is i don’t get it why do you need a motor with 3 crankshafts? I only have 2 axles so what does the 3rd crankshaft run?
But it looks almost big enough and complex enough to go into a modern pickup truck.

We have offshore wind too.

That was a big deal I remember rich people either tried to block it or get it moved because it could be seen from the beach front property. I remember thinking at the time if the view is more important then power that is ok just shut theirs off.
The only thing I wonder about with offshore anything really is did they design it with sea level rise in mind? The idea of getting power by the coast where they need it is great but it is also feels like building in the path of danger. The coast already has alot of valuable real estate at risk.

1 Like

Nomad was the most efficient engine ever designed for aircraft.
The compound design extracted heat from the exaust.

The Deltic is a different machine altogether.
It evolved from the uniflow design of the Jumo engine ( a German diesel for aircraft ) but was built to royal navy specs as a super light and compact hi power diesel for small ships.
It was absolutely fantastic at what it did.
Very high power and low weight and size.
the three crankshaft make it compact and and short while still giving it enough stroke to make a lot of torque and keeping the uniflow scavenging system for excellent power to weight.

Look how small this thing is for an engine that can reliable crank up 2500 hp at 2000 rpm for 15 min ( 15% less for continues use ).

Compound version of this ( like the Nomad ) could crank out double that…

Not bad at all for a WW2 design.

The smaller Nomad aircraft engine in a truck???
That is a 5000 hp engine!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info that is cool.
What you don’t think 5000 hp is enough to win the most hp in class race they keep having? I mean why else did they make a bigger motor then my 05 duramax 6.6 L turbo diesel.
They didn’t need more to pull the rated 15000 lbs that is for sure. I have had well let’s just say too much more that that on the hitch and the bed loaded right over the cab with oak at 65 mph and she didn’t slow down. Didn’t steer too good either… lol

1 Like

How big do i need to build my gasifier to tame (feed) that beast ???

3 Likes

I need one of them 5000 hp 3 crankshaft motors in my s10 too carry an oversize load of logs

2 Likes

Jumo started it all.
This gives and excellent description of how this engine and the deltics work.

My 2 cents on climate change… would love to read the view’s of others…

Now:
Picture yourself your nice little farm in the middle of green surroundings…
Sleeping with open windows, resting in your hammock in the shade of the three’s on your yard…

Getting lazy or for whatever reason, you only go to the supermarket to buy your food and groceries…
Even more lazy, just piling your garbage outside…

I am pretty sure that , if you don’t change your habits, your living climate will change…

Moral of this short story:
The nature did follow our lead, can’t keep up with our rate of polluting and energy consuming, resulting in a climate that needs to be changed in the opposite direction…

If we don’t take care of our own garbage, not getting more moderate with our needs, then the smell around our little farm will make it inhabitable soon…

Be carefull what you use and how to grow and recycle your own needed food / materials…
Use what you need, not what you want… Waste comes from what you wanted but never needed…

Same happens with energy from fossil fuels… Why using Dyno fuels if nature can’t recycle the waste you create ?
Why not growing / recycling the resources nature gives you ? The technology is there, the knowledge available…

Be moderate in what you need and reluctant in wanting to take, wanting to have.

Now picture yourself in your own perfect place… and then your neighbours start to follow your example…

Don’t talk… just do it… DOW

15 Likes

100 likes Koen!

That’s why I see this as the most important and ethical group on the web. Wasn’t it Ghandi who said that change starts from one person? Given that automobiles and our love of engine power risk our planet and all future generations, what is more noble or meaningful than to find a better course, to open a better path for more to follow?

I only hope that we have time and opportunity to attone for the sins of our civilization and set it right for the innocent and generations to come.

2 Likes

Another 100 likes from me, Mr Koen!!
I read of a lady who was EXTREMELY fanatically frugal. Her philosophy was that she wasn’t denying herself things, rather she was choosing to use her resources for the things that were really important to her. I see a lot of people who just can’t afford the things they want, and yet, they drizzle away untold amounts of money on little things that don’t really matter. This is especially sad when it is not money we waste, but the irreplaceable gifts of nature.

4 Likes

Koen , you make my day :relaxed:!!

5 Likes

That is how I feel watching the snow mobiles out in my field in the winter. The come down off the railroad tracks and I let them ride in the fields as it doesn’t hurt the fields and makes some good will with the locals. The other day I was watching them climb one of the bigger hills I have and use it as a jump. All I could think is that is a crazy amount of power in those machines. Then I thought will all the talk about oil how much do we burn every year for entertainment in 4 wheeler and snow machines? That seems like the place to start to reduce pollution. I did have a 4 wheeler for years honestly it was the biggest waste of money for as little as I seemed to use it. The only thing it did on a regular basis was get my wood out and a tractor would have been better.

2 Likes