Plenum under carb setups

Box under carb. See my post in the Fab Shop

for TBI

see failure setup here: http://driveonwood.com/comment/5134#comment-5134

see successful setup/current setup here: http://driveonwood.com/comment/5344#comment-5344

Hi Chris
Just going through old posts.
How did you close the carburetor off so you don’t have the carb running at an idle while running on wood gas ?

Thanks Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I didn’t close it off. I just left the throttle shut, and shut off the fuel line. This slowly drains the carb bowl through the idle jets. Once it’s empty it becomes a slight air leak, and you compensate with the main air valves.

Sometimes with the gasifier feeling poorly I’d leave gas in it, as a booster. Also handy to have that instant “kick” available for getting over the big hills… running hybrid with a carburetor is far easier than with fuel injection.

Hi Chris
I had a close look at you photos of your system, I have built a similar system with a box under the carb and a mixing box off to the side with a manifold with the two gas lines and an air line. Will post some photos when I get a chance, I have also two back fire tennis ball valves (BFTBV) one under the carb and one on the mixing manifold !

Thanks for all the help
Patrick

1 Like

Hi fellow wood gassers
Hopefully here are a few pics of my new mixer box and carb setup.

Thanks Patrick
Ps having a few problems with uploading photos

1 Like

Attempt two, not working !

Looking good Patrick. Be sure photos are under 1 MB. Resize to 1024px if possible.

Moved several posts to this thread.

2 Likes

Looking complicated, but sturdy. Hope it works to your liking.

looks good to me. I guess the tractors i’ve built so far could be considered under plenum… they seem to work pretty good and I know i’m not putting anything bad through the carb.

BE carfull too not make the plentom too tall or your air cleaner will hit the hood.I need a hood scoop too hide the dent in my hood.It looks like more room than what it is, runs ok on gasoline after finding all the vacuem leaks,it still idles good and low.

My air plentom is 4 inches tall,it should have been about 2 inch tall with tapered tube too the 3" throtle bodi butterfly.Or a hood scoop for the air cleaner.hopefully the wood gas wont pop back in my small air cleanner enough too open the cleaner.the air cleaner was fun makeing,after seeing it wont seal ,i welded 1/4" rod too the seal area that hits the carb on bottom of the cleaner.Built with arc welder and drill press to get the hole for carb started close.My gas line is copper but it has a double flange from my brake line double flange tool.

1 Like

this aught to work kevin lol.

1 Like

You must be one of us chevy truckers, what did you make the scoop out of, or is that hood scoop atatched, I will probly just use this truck with the dented hood as it is just a local work truck too hall wood and metal now and then.What i like about my old truck is i got parts for it, and i can fix it with out the shop.

someone stoped by the house with it and after reading your post I thought you would get a chuckle that thing is huge .

Looks a little too tall for the veiw aspect,I might put a shallow fake scoop if i can find right size rusty can, i only need just enough too cover the hood bump.and i have too lower my air cleaner another inch too pop the dent on the right back too level putty rework,This will only be my wood hauler,mud through’er, wood gas leaner,if it gets 60 mpg in hybrid mode while hauling wood on a trailer,thats 4 times better than most trucks on the road.THANKS

1 Like

Here is a photo of an earlier carb over plenum my brother in law made it worked well on wood but would not idle well on gasoline, this setup also was hard to keep the woodgas air mix correct , but this kept the carb free of soot

1 Like

What did your bro-in-law run with this set up?? Don’t remember seeing anything like that at Argos. That carburetor was not built to idle. It was built to POUR gasolineTomC

1 Like

Good evening RON L, IT looks like he had it wired for Hibrid driveing, nice way too hook it up THANKS for the linkage ideas.I got a couple hollys i could have used ,though i havent tryed them yet.

Hi Tom ,I ran this on my pickup before the Argos meetings started, The engine 300cid was not huge but on gasoline with that carb and intake manifold could go!! Even on wood this helped open up the intake so there is less restriction and ran with a little more power
Kevin this setup worked ok but would not idle on gasoline possibly because the distance from the bottom of the carb to the manifold was so close and there was to much turbulence also the fuel air mix ratio is not the same for different rpm so it had to be adjusted frequently. Driving on wood was a lot smoother after I went through the top of this carb but it needs cleaned a lot. Ron L