Properties of a good wood gasifier

I was just watching that video of yours the other day pulling out the slag/glass chunks out of the bottom very interesting. I wonder what temperature that system was reaching to?

4 Likes

Marcus, I did it in my WK Gasifier, I just put a 50: 50 ratio in of wood and Charcoal. At the grate it was 1760°f or 960.0 now that is hot. I checked my heat shields in the firetube and they were okay. But I never have done it again. Oh yes the truck ran great. And my ash/charcoal area was full going up to the drop box. It slip a lot of char and did not over pull because I had so much charcoal below and around the grate. My vaccum gage was a -30 and then some on the rails.
When I did my clean out of the ash I found ash clinkers.
Bob

5 Likes

So the forging charcoal my neighbor picked up for me from tractor supply to test in my truck I should stay away from ? :grin:

Just use good old hard wood charcoal but use it 80% wood to 20% charcoal. That works good for my rocket fuel and it helps get rid of the extra moisture too. I use it dry in my WK Gasifier. Damp in my Charcoal Gasifer.
Bob

4 Likes

Ha! :smiley:
To avoid ash melting in gas generators of this type, you need to approach the solution of the problem “inside out”! :joy:
I have been using a high-speed gas generator for a year now and I have not seen pieces of fused glass more than a pea.:+1:

6 Likes

Yes Joni, mine were about twice that big and not that many of them. Nothing like the glass clinkers I can make in my Charcoal Gasifer it was a Diagonal cross draft my new one is down draft and have found no clinkers yet.
Bob

2 Likes

An energy facility, a little more gypsy looking

these penetrations through a scarp made of reinforced concrete and stones tormented me, the diameter of the hole 80mm and the length more than 2m

another heating supply

10 Likes

Not sure what I’m looking at Tone. Are you taking hot air from the black surfaced building and pumping it into your house?

Bottom picture. The mark of a true craftsman.

3 Likes

I belive this is the engine room Tom

3 Likes

I thought the hurried corrugated line was like what we have here for boilers it’s a direct bury insulated line with pex inside

2 Likes

So my guess is…generator, engine and gasifier under the trailer tarp. Everything water cooled and the waste heat piped into a heatexchanger for house heating. Close?

4 Likes

You are right, my friends, that marvel of technology will have a temporary home here, and I am afraid so will I… :grinning:

5 Likes

Looking good! Clean room!
Off grid or grid connected?

1 Like

Joep, thank God you don’t see everything… :grin:
For the time being, I think we’ll operate with the network

1 Like

Joep and I had some correspondence about the operation of the asynchronous generator with the mains and how to disconnect it in time when the gasifier runs out of fuel. I hope he won’t be upset if I post the result here. I used a normal contactor , removed the existing 220V magnetic coil and replaced it with a stronger 1mm 50 turns copper wire. A current of one phase will flow through this winding and when it falls below 1A , the magnetisation of the core weakens enough to disconnect it.

6 Likes

Tone, is this just for safety reasons? Its never good to empty the gasifier to the point it stops making gas…

I guess with your insulated hopper its a bit tricky since you have a higher temperature in it, but usualy we use a thermometer that will spike as the glow of the reaction starts rdiating up.

6 Likes

It is to keep the electric bill down. If something happens with the engine, the asynchrone motor starts to consume instead of delivering power.

2 Likes

Thanks Tone, out of the box solution, just like I expected!!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Clever, but I dont see it working on a single cylinder. At least I couldnt find the sweet spot around 3000 rpm when current should be zero. Maybe on a multicylinder?

How big is your motor? All the current has to go through the magnetic coil?

Super KISS! Prove I am wrong please!!

1 Like

You beat me to it Kristijan.
Tone, if a hopper themostat doesn’t work with a heated hopper I would probably go for an old school timer. If a hopper of wood is normally good for an hour, just set it for 45 min and let the timer shut down the electrical connection as well as closing the gasifier air inlet.

4 Likes

Joep, you see what good advice for switching off and protection Kristjan and Jo gave us, thank you, I will add that. Otherwise, the electric generator does not know whether it is powered by a single-cylinder or multi-cylinder motor, the only question is how much the current drops at 50Hz or 3000rpm. I have a 5kW electric motor and a two-cylinder Kubota 500ccm with a pulley ratio to run at 2300rpm.

Joep, let me add, if by chance the current 1A is too small to disconnect, we simply reduce the number of turns on the current coil and it disengages at a higher current.

2 Likes